ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

WWE Rundown 12 - 16th Jan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2009, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default WWE Rundown 12 - 16th Jan

WWE Rundown

RAW 12th January
An average episode of RAW at the least, kicking off with Jericho defiantly stating he is better than everyone else and doesn’t need to compete to prove himself. A nice new angle but then for some reason Stephanie wants to go off and pretend fire Jericho, the question is what will come of his firing? An on-air firing is about as paper thin as a starving Ethiopian child so will Vince come back next week and just rehire Jericho or will he make him earn his contract back. Will this also lead to a Jericho McMahon feud which would be nice in a sense; we’ve all seen it done before but never with a guy of Jericho’s moxie or tenacity. I suppose we’ll have to wait and see but frankly it isn’t all that interesting at the moment.

Then we were treated to Miz vs. Mysterio for some reason besides the fact that they’ve given Morrison the week off after his table match with Hunter. Have to note that Miz is actually a solid performer now, he’s now longer as stiff and disjointed as he use to be in matches. He transitions between moves and holds well except for the love of Christ the guy needs to fucking change his finisher or just go back to using the Mizard of Oz neckbreaker. That Counterpunch to a modified Stroke is still a wicked move, which should actually be his finisher, his modified Stroke.

Afterwards we see Candice Michelle talking to a focused and disinterested CM Punk, Wow Candice, you’re so next to be fired if you’re standing around backstage doing nothing besides looking pretty.

Then we have another short but solid outing by both Regal and Punk, yeah they didn’t get much time but that catch-as-catch-can exchange was as smooth as liquid gold and completely shat on the opening exchange between HBK and Cena in the main event. Until of course Punk ‘accidentally’ punches Regal in his Royal balls and gets a bullshit DQ loss, didn’t see that coming. Next week Punk will probably get screwed out of the Title again somehow, I assume Layla will do something like cause a distraction or throw Regal a pair of Brass Kunx or something, even though the match is in Punk’s hometown of Chicago I’m predicting he’s getting screwed again.

Then we come to the oddest match of the night, Orton vs. Kane, I have no idea why Orton needed to win the match in such a random and shitty way but whatever. The match itself was weird that Orton got in a ton of offence and Kane’s only response was that Uppercut that always floored Orton. Just that one Uppercut and Orton would do the whole dramatic fall slowly to the floor like he just copped a tranquiliser dart in the neck. The whole shoulder up thing may lead to a Kane Orton continuance next week but I seriously don’t see much each coming of this whole Kane Kelly Kelly Orton triangle.

So is that it for the Legacy? Manu and Deuce fade into obscurity while Cody, Dibease match further up the food chain with Orton? God a 5 man Legacy would totally be a fucking force on RAW and the rest of the WWE. I suppose Orton will only need two guys to hold someone down while he punts them onto the injured list.

I see a Ziggler Noble feud on the horizon, He’s introduced himself to Noble o 3 separate occasions so that has to be going somewhere, plus I’m all for Jamie to get some television time even though he’ll probably end up jobbing out to Ziggler.

Then we are treated to HBK vs Cena, alright a lot has been said about Cena’s wrestling talent BUT FUCKING SERIOUSLY the opening exchanges in the match were pitiful. Michaels literally had to Carry his worthless ass for a good 15 minutes until the signature moves came in. HBK just plain out wrestled and out preformed Cena, Each hold HBK put on Cena “escaped” with a poor head scissors, arm wrench countered into a head scissors, headlock countered in a head scissors and that got repeated again until there was a audible “You can’t wrestle chant”. Moving on the finish was superb, anytime it takes someone to struggle and claw their way to the ropes in signature submission holds and kicking out of finishers you know you’re going to get a good finish. Shawn delivered and I salute him, The JBL ringside element added to the match, Best match of the year thus far, even with the pitiful opening exchange. The final Sweet Chin Music was epic too, Shawn timed it well and Cena just turned around in the nick of time to get a foot uppercut and crumble sideways.

So we have a probable Kane vs. Orton rematch next week, CM Punk vs. Regal in a No DQ Intercontinental Match and a contract signing between Cena and JBL....

Last edited by Dante; 15 Jan 2009 at 07:31 AM.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

Reading something on NoDq that Scott Armstrong (The Referee of the Kane Orton match) may aline himself with Orton as he himself is also a second generation employee of the WWE as his father was Bob "Bullet" Armstrong. It's still a rumour at this stage but it is note worthy.

Interesting, Very interesting...
Old 14 Jan 2009, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Never forget the name!

DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to DrDoom

The ref thing would be a great angle if he aligned himself with 'The Legacy'. If they don't do anything with that then the whole shoulder up thing was a waste of time as we don't need to see a Kane vs Orton rematch.

I thought RAW overall was piss poor this week. A series of feuds that were just kept in stasis but didn't really seem to progress and one worthwhile match in Cena vs HBK yet after it JBL doesn't take advantage despite the fact he could have beaten the shit out of Cena he just stands over him. Stupid.

Oh and I think 'The Legacy' could still wind up with several more people as a much bigger thing but it looks like the WWE are taking a week by week approach with the writing on this one. I hope eventually it winds up with a massive pro Orton army.

Props to Sly as Hell for the banner.

DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
....Bang

ECW Rundown:
The Opening Mixed tag match was actually pretty damn good, Alicia Fox is a really good in-ring competitor. I've liked what I've of her in the ring besides her being fucking sexy as hell. She moves pretty smoothly around the ring, suppose performance art skills can crossover into other professions of entertainment. Have to mention how under-rated Paul Burchill is, the man who has a very simular wrestling style to William Regal was on his game on ECW this week, no mistakes, no wasted motion or anything. He hit a Elijah Express straight off the bat. DJ Gabriel is alright but nothing special, he did manage to hit a pretty interesting move, A Pump Handle Back Drop. Anyway Gabriel hits his diving European Uppercut for the finish.

Then it came, The Dreamer Ultimatum. He has 5 months to win the ECW Championship or he retires. Now I've always wanted Dreamer to have one more run with the ECW Strap before he hangs up the boots but this is a pretty damn good way to send the old Warrior out. If they handle this well Dreamer's final run for glory could probably match-up Flair's retirement angle in quality, A teary eyed Dreamer delivering his Toe of Woe Dropkick with a Chair in his Final Extreme Rules match, also ifyou were savvy enough to realise that in 5 months around June 6 there is this little PPV... One Night Stand. His heart-warming speech really has me pulling for Dreamer how the competition these days are Younger, Faster, Stronger and Better and he's just trying to prove to himself that he is still good enough. Cliche` as fuck but still effective.

Then Boogeyman squashed another Jobber... made him eat worms as usual

And of course Jack Swagger becoming the New ECW Champion. Another good match all round. The finishing sequence wasn't great but all in all a great match. Not sure what happens now but yeah I'm cool with Swagger as champ, the guy is freaking Awesome.

Last edited by Dante; 15 Jan 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Never forget the name!

DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.DrDoom is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.

Yeah watched most of ECW the other day and really enjoyed it. I thought Dreamer's promo was the highlight. He was really passionate and into it and I was really sold on the angle. This will make for a really good farewell for him. I hope he gets one more run.

I also agree that Burchill is highly underrated. They should have left him in his pirate gimmick and kept giving him a decent push. The guy is quality and should be in the mid card title picture more than he is. I'm not sold at all on DJ Gabriel though.

Swagger as champ is an interesting decision but it is ECW which is meant to be a developmental territory and Matt is a bit above that so I think the move was right.

Old 17 Jan 2009, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
....Bang

Well finishing off the week the SmackDown! Rundown

Triple H has what has to be the easiest gimmick ever, He's the Cool guy. The guy too cool to play by conventional rules. If SmackDown! was a bad high school teen flick Hunter would be the guy who drives around in the sports car and doesn't try because he's rich father is paying for his Diploma. Each week now he just shows up to work to just riff on about how awesome he is and how he can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's the King of Kings. Which is fine all dandy but its starting to wear thin, Hunter needs to get into a serious feud again.

The Tag match was pretty average but the finish was something interesting. Matt got a clean win over Swagger, which means that they're still trying to maintain Matt's credibility and still build up Swagger. They're sharing the spotlight at the moment but hopefully after this feud Matt eventually gets a crack at one of the World titles that means something. Also have to note Swagger's continued use of the Vader bomb, seems to be a signature move in his arsenal.

The backstage segment afterwards with Chavo was hilarious and they should in my opinion turn Chavo face. Especially if he says he should start acting more like a Guererro as he reprise’s his deceased Uncle’s legacy and rehashes the Lie, Cheat & Steal moniker, its better then being Vicky's butler.

Brian Kendrick wears some of the most bizarre jackets I've ever seen. I want them all, I'd where them god damn everywhere. Something about wearing a jacket with collars decorated in buttons and pipe cleaners just seems so pompously awesome that I must have one. His match with R-Truth was pretty bland, nothing spectacular from both, Kendrick executed that Calf Kick pretty well this week though, ridiculous how he can get that Jumping Calf Kick over as a defining part of his matches. R-Truth pulls a win out of his ass with that stupid spinning forearm and spinning axe kick finish. Then Zeke comes in and Standing Rock Bottoms the fuck outta R-Truth.

The Last man standing match was handled really really well, I actually genuinely enjoyed every moment of the match. MVP was the struggling underdog and got unanimous support of the crowd as he fought a losing war with Big Show. I was wondering how he'd pull out the win as Big Show basically kick the living fuck out of MVP for a solid 30 minutes. Then Trips being the glory hog comes in and whomps Show in the back of the head with his Sledgehammer and that's it... Anti-climactic way to finish such a good match.

Then we're treated to Michelle McCool who has found new vigour with her new gimmick where she plays a scathing Cunt. I mean she is a real fucking bitch and I'm starting to suspect she's letting a little of her real personality shine through in her promos. That and she insists on wearing goofy looking low cut outfits that accentuate her weird chest. Can't believe Victoria's retirement match ended with Michelle McCool beating her with a Styles Clash or as she calls it 'The Faith Breaker"

And o course the most badass Cutting Edge ever, Jeff Hardy gets his ass fried in a shitstorm of malfunctioning stage pyro. Sure most of those sparks looks just as harmless as the ones Goldberg used in WCW but it still looked pretty badass. Especially the fireball that went up inches away from Hardy, I thought that was a nice touch....

Sooooooo what does that mean? Jeff Hardy comes back as Two-Face? Hmmmm, That would be pretty fucking silly.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Never forget the name!

I loved Smackdown this week. Just watched it and really enjoyed it, far more than I've been enjoying RAW recently. That being said I have a few gripes.

1) I agree that Trips needs a real feud already.

2) Matt ended Swaggers winning streak if I'm not mistaken in a throw away tag match and it wasn't even mentioned that he ended the streak. Matt should have pinned Henry again and stared down Swagger. Allowing Swagger to stay undefeated for a while and have the guy who takes the strap off him be the one to end his streak, getting them over huge. But oh well I guess it adds an edge to the Matt vs Swagger feud. Matt loses his title to Swagger but then costs Swagger his streak. But they didn't even mention that on commentary which was lame.

3) MVP should start a huge climb back now. The guy is great. He made Big Show look like a beast with some fucking terrific selling in that Last Man Standing match. The crowd is way into MVP as well. I loved his little backstage bit about being a great boxed and moving like a butterfly and stinging like a bee, that was funny.

4) Edge is god. He is really helping Jeff get over as champ. Jeff did well this week though and did a fantastic sell of being assaulted by pyro. I'm starting to get into this whole angle now.

5) Taker is way over gimmicked still. That promo was crap and I would have preferred a decent match out of him again.

Overall though this Smackdown was sweet. Lots of good storyline development and I was genuinely entertained throughout the whole show, even the Diva's match was good. RAW needs to lift its game cos atm, Smackdown is the A Show. Orton and Punk's programs are the only things keeping me watching atm.