ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

The reason sports entertainment is more importatnt than the actual wrestling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2005, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Energon junkie

Thundercracker Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...
Default The reason sports entertainment is more importatnt than the actual wrestling.

WWE Wrestling is entertainment and a form of theater. It's like a live action cartoon, a live action comic book, a male soap opera, theatrical athletics, etc. But a sport? I think not. People wanna see the wrestlers aruging and yelling at each other. It's entertaining. Even in the real sports world, people don't wanna just see guys playing sports.

They wanna see the kinda stuff you see on WWE TV with guys yelling in each other's faces and WWE provides that, and wrestling at the same time...but the wrestling should never outweigh the entertainment.

The WWE is an entertainment fed. Even Vince says that about his WWE product. It is entertaiment. If you want real wrestling, go to some boring local Indy show in hickvile U.S.A. Professional wrestling always has been and always will be sports-ENTERTAINMENT. The athleticism seen in the ring is only half of what makes this business as unique and successful as it has become.

Give the fans what they want. Take a look at the last major boom period in the industry beginning about 1997. It was during that time that some the most memorable moments came to fruition. Some people will not admit this but, most people prefer the entertainment over actual wrestling. No matter how cool the in-ring action may be, storylines are the real backbone of professional wrestling. Promo's, interesting vignettes - they're what keep the shows fresh from week to week.

Like it or not, it's the entertainment that people watch pro wrestling for. Not just the actual wrestling. So why some people just judge wrestlers ONLY on their wrestling skills is beyond me. Because there is a lot more to it than that. Hulk Hogan is an icon and a great entertainer, yet smarks hate him ALL because he's not some great wrestler.

I could never just cheer for a wrestler soley based on his wrestling skill. Which is why I have never liked Chris Beniot or Lance Storm. I have to know and care about a wrestler in order for me to cheer for him. And a wrestler has to have mic skills to get my cheers, because mic skills overshadow everything else in the WWE.

Sure, wrestling is an important part of sports entertainment, but if we go to a pure wrestling type product, we're stuck with Chris Benoit laying on the ground for two hours. The matches are the pay off, but the real intrigue comes from the segments and angles that we love....

Hogan getting crushed by Earthquake, the late Miss Elizabeth and Randy Savage cowering as Jake Roberts threatened them with with a snake, Shawn Michaels kicking Marty Jannetty through the window of the Barber Shop, Austin Pillmanizing the late Brian Pillman, This is Your Life Rock, Austin Appreciation Night, Jericho breaking Chyna's thumb.

They kicked off and fanned the flames that made us want to watch wrestling to see what was going to happen next.

You guys are also talking about pushing younger wrestlers all the time too...but how can you create new stars if you don't have those guys doing promos and segments to get people to see them?

And do you think people cared about John Cena when he debuted? The guy almost beat Angle and beat Jericho and still no one cared.

They made him a rapper and had him dis Rikishi and Los Guerrerros and BOOM, we have a potential main eventer!

Two guys can bust their ass for 30 minutes in the ring and I and a lot of fans couldn't give two drops of monkey piss if there isn't any build.

In 2003, Eddie and Benoit put on a good wrestling match at a PPV and I didn't care because I wasn't given a reason to care. I was more into "tripe" like Hogan/McMahon or Rey/Big Show because there were segments and angles set up to make me want to watch and see how it turned out in the end.

Giving everyone good segments, angles, interviews, and gimmicks are the best service the WWE could give their talent.

The entertainment aspect makes the sports part seem epic. Without the entertainment, you're left with something that no one would watch.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.

This actually makes a lot of sense but too bad the Grapple Marks are still going to flame the shit out of this thread due to the fact that they want to basically see more NCAA stlye wrestling in the WWE which will never happen.
BOSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
likes 30 Rock.

GDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters
Send a message via MSN to GDAWG Send a message via Yahoo to GDAWG

I dunno. Is the NFL the highest rated thing on TV because of arguments? No.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

Nash Gordon Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

Totally true. I wanted to watch Hogan matches because Hogan actually gave me a reason to care if he won or lost.

Benoit doesn't have the mic skills or character to carry a good story. How many great storylines has he been involved in his entire career? Not many.

But people like Hogan, Austin and Nash are good enough on the mic to make people care what happens in their matches.
Nash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kev123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash Gordon
Totally true. I wanted to watch Hogan matches because Hogan actually gave me a reason to care if he won or lost.

Benoit doesn't have the mic skills or character to carry a good story. How many great storylines has he been involved in his entire career? Not many.

But people like Hogan, Austin and Nash are good enough on the mic to make people care what happens in their matches.

Benoit lets his wrestling do the talking, and that's why he's over. To say that he can't carry a story is an understatement to me. He's one of the best at showing anger and intensity in his matches, and that's how he helps tell a story in his matches.
Kev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Hanks With-A the Aids

Forgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Forgotten Sin

I hated wrestling Becuase of Hogan, and became a fan of wwe a long while after he Was gone from it. when he came back, i still hated the old fart.

Forgotten Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

Nash Gordon Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

The WWE is more like an action move than a real sport.
You've got the action sequences, which are the matches.

But you've also got to have a good storyline. So people actually give a shit about the action sequences.

An action sequence in a move is better if you actually care about the characters involved. It's better to see the mighty hero face off against the evil villian than watch two nobodies, even if the nobodies perform exactly the same sequence.

Chris Benoit, he may have the moves in the action sequences but he BLOWS in the acting.
And to most people that just ain't good enough.
Nash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Energon junkie

Without the entertainment you just have 2 guys doing these mean things to each other for no reason.

When there's backstory to a match it actually makes it that much more alluring.

If Angle/Micheals just went out there and wrestled, it would have been nice.

But the story leading up to it was what made it that much more interesting.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox
I dunno. Is the NFL the highest rated thing on TV because of arguments? No.
This says it all.

The arguing and bragging is all a matter of style over substance. I like substance: I want wrestling in my wrestling and football in my football.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercracker
Without the entertainment you just have 2 guys doing these mean things to each other for no reason.

When there's backstory to a match it actually makes it that much more alluring.

If Angle/Micheals just went out there and wrestled, it would have been nice.

But the story leading up to it was what made it that much more interesting.
Yes, but they don't all need storylines; when they all get storylines, you see things like necrophilia angles. Sometimes fighting for the belt or just to be better is enough.
Old 11 May 2005, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

TRUTH is on a distinguished road

Professional wrestling isn't a sport, stop acting like it is nerds. If you wanna see great athletic wrestling watch "Real Pro Wrestling" on Fox Sports or UPN. I watch the WWE to be entertained, and unfortunately watching a short stubby 40 year old do 4 german suplexes in a row while its obvious the guy being suplexed is not only standing up for him but is actually jumping backwards doesnt qualify as entertaining.
TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2005, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
PWF's very own psychopath

Corey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to Corey Send a message via MSN to Corey Send a message via Yahoo to Corey

This subject is going to go round and round. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences, nothing you power/entertainment marks say is going to change what other people want. You guys are still basically bringing up the same topic complaining about people like Benoit, you just made the post longer this time.

Thanks to David for the Orton banner...

Join the EFED you fucks!
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2005, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Energon junkie

In the older days, being popular was all about pro wrestling. If you had no heel/face reactions and you were a great wrestler... it meant absolute shit. You needed to be over in some form or fashion to get anywhere and have any kind of decent match.

I don't give a rats ass if someone can't wrestler like a technical god, if the match is entertaining then that is all that matters. Sadly most smarks feel that prowrestling is all about technical ability... and it is far from that. I sugest that you rather go watch amature wrestling or UFC if that is the case.
Old 13 May 2005, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercracker
In the older days, being popular was all about pro wrestling. If you had no heel/face reactions and you were a great wrestler... it meant absolute shit. You needed to be over in some form or fashion to get anywhere and have any kind of decent match.
Therefore, we can conclude wrestling was never profitable before the interview. Which is odd because it existed for decades before this.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

darkpimp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
This subject is going to go round and round. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences, nothing you power/entertainment marks say is going to change what other people want. You guys are still basically bringing up the same topic complaining about people like Benoit, you just made the post longer this time.
nothing against you, you don't seem to freak when someone says something about a wrestler you like. But the "smarks" i find seem to bitch and moan whenever someone mentions anything about the beloved grapplers. and i feel that the power fans are now starting to do this just to piss ppl off.

you both are just using the same arguments over and over.