ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

The WWE: Not a Wrestling Company

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default The WWE: Not a Wrestling Company

Recently I've been reading a lot of things and the point has been given to me that the WWE now treats Wrestling Second rate to the Entertainment factor. Hell even Vince has gone on record saying "The WWE is a Entertainment Copany".

World Wrestling Entertainment, They go hand in hand in the company name but of course one obvious factor over balances the scale. Possiblabily the main reason the WWE are doing so well as the top provider is because the whole damn company industry is based in gimmicks as the modern day fan is use to saying what backstage skits are running on here and there. I've made a simple Formula to this: The Better the gimmick the more exposure you get.

I mean you could be like Dean Malenko and know 1000 holds but that does shit all if you can't talk on a mic in the WWE. The Entertainment factor is shoved down your damn throat and at the end of the night you only get what 3 matches on RAW? and the rest is Storylines involing Evolution, Kane & Eugene?

Exo put it best once saying - It took Beniot 18 years to get the damn title but Cena will get it 10 times more in that time period on sheer personailty alone.....

Sad but True, Its not wrestling people, Its Entertainment....
Old 18 Jul 2004, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo

It's true. If people aren't entertained by what a wrestler is doing, then they won't bother to watch. If people aren't going to watch, then what's the point? The people who put asses in the seats are the ones who are going to carry the company.
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igloo
It's true. If people aren't entertained by what a wrestler is doing, then they won't bother to watch. If people aren't going to watch, then what's the point? The people who put asses in the seats are the ones who are going to carry the company.
That's probably why beniot was billed as a second rate wrestler for most of his career, He always got pops from fans that could tell the difference between superior technique or In-ring antics. So yes you must know the fundamentals of wrestlings, not particularly well just enough so you can pass it off with a gimmick to fit. I mean today if a fan saw a match between Lance Storm and Dean Malenko they'd switch right off and turn to the WWE to give them something refried and reborn to choke on......

Kane's ever changing Gimmick is what keeps most fans curious about Kane's indentity and past. Its those people who grow up to have the dream to wrestle infront of the World, its another thing to be ungreatful and in it for the money.....
Old 19 Jul 2004, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo

However, the tide seems to be turing now. At least in Canada the fans will cheer the wrestlers beased on their skill in the ring, not on the mic. Which is why some of the heels have been turned face ... because of the fans.

There has to be a mixture of both. You have to at least be able to speak. If a wrestler is thrown into a match with no promo time then no ones going to care.

It's not like in the 80's when you could have a guy like Hogan with little ring skill, but a huge gimmick be a fan favourite.

Yeah, I'm just rambling. Hopefully that made some sense.
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2004, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
....Bang

Yes it made perfect sense but these days the WWE is infamous for having strange, weird and new gimmicks, hell The Eugene gimmick is a hit outside of Wrestling too. Some sport columnists disagreed and many though it would sink (I myself would be one of them too) but its amazing how much the WWE depends on Gimmicks to keep them at the top of the Mountain, I mean take a look at Jeff Jarret's company franchise, its based purely on wrestling, but you gotta give people a mixture of the both, I guess they just got blindsided with the money that they onlyy fall back on Wrestling matches to continue gimmicks or for more Story filler......
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
....Bang

Huh I though this would've created more discussion....

BUMP....
Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

this is the reason i've stoped watching for now...all storylines and crappy wrestling.
Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2004, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

JeffX is on a distinguished road

WWE may be a lot of entertainment and promo cutting, but you couldn't make it in the business with no wrestling skill. Ya, John Cena will probably get the World Title because of his crowd reaction, but he is also a good wrestler. Wrestling is what makes WWE what it is. The promos build up the matches and make people want to watch the match even more. I hate that there is so much talking in WWE, but its made money and it really does make the matches more exciting.
JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2004, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
....Bang

[QUOTE]WWE may be a lot of entertainment and promo cutting, but you couldn't make it in the business with no wrestling skill. Ya, John Cena will probably get the World Title because of his crowd reaction, but he is also a good wrestler. Wrestling is what makes WWE what it is. The promos build up the matches and make people want to watch the match even more. I hate that there is so much talking in WWE, but its made money and it really does make the matches more exciting[/QOUTE]

Entertainment, such a broad word for this discussion, Wrestling generally is entertaining and promo's have been with the Main Stream Wrestling companies for a long long time, Nothing to do to change it but Entertainment also covers what goes on Outside the ring but this is why the WWE pride themselves on being Not just Wrestling but delivering Storylines, Sometimes these storylines are good solid build ups for a Match, Kinda like Promo's just more visual but its fine to have it in between Matchs on a show but now it just seems to be back-to-back backstage segments, with Inerveiws and skits. Which sadly reduces the show's actual WRESTLING time to a average of 3 match a night. Which by the way where derrived from the same god damn storylines. Of those 3 matches of that night most likely 2 will invole Evolution seemlinly as they are dominating in and outside the ring in TV time.

As for John Cena I do NOT think he is a Good Wreslter, Well he could be but he isn't doing much to show it really. It doesn't take much skill to know how to do a shoulder block, punch, stomp, wave your hand infront of your face, fist drop, pump your shoes and do a fireman's carry drop. Maybe if Cena moved away from his simple brawlish style and panderish moves I might find it in my heart to tolerate his damn match. Hell I was watching SmackDown! this week and when Cena's match came on I just walked out of the damn room, A) Because you alrady know he's gonna win and B) He's gonna do the exact same routine he does with everybody. But then again that bringsus back to the Entertainment arguement where Cena's has to incorperate Wrestling with his Street-ish style gimmick, Even Entertainment can manipulate Wrestling.

I'm gonna further drive the nail in the coffin, Gimmicks is what The WWE is, Nothing but Gimmicks, the Only damn why you'll get any decent TV time is if you have a good gimmick. Yet the main reason Wrestling is called....

Sports Entertainment
Old 25 Jul 2004, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
Huh I though this would've created more discussion....

BUMP....
I don't know why you thought that. Everyone who post in this forum already knows the WWE isn't a wrestling company.....

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2004, 02:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
....Bang

.....Well I like to know I'm right from time to time Dre.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
PWF's very own psychopath

Corey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICKCorey is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to Corey Send a message via MSN to Corey Send a message via Yahoo to Corey

Ok.......if you do not know that the WWE is not a wrestling company then u must not watch very closely......vince has said on tv that the wwe is an entertainment company.

If you as a fan watch the shows and do not clearly see that this is not a sport really and its not all just about wrestling in the ring.......then i dunno what to tell ya

Thanks to David for the Orton banner...

Join the EFED you fucks!
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2004, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

I'll tell you that if you want to see wrestling you watch NOAH, Zero-One, ROH, ECCW, 3PW, JAPW, TNA......

If you want to see entertainment which less and less has to do with wrestling you watch WWE. And you watch it if you don't want to shell out the money it cost to see other products, cause you just spent $35 on a WWE ppv with 2 good matches and the rest card fillers to fill 3 hours. Not to mention it is excessable. I think its safe to say the posters on PWF aren't so slow as to not know WWE is an entertianment company that is much easier to watch then the rest, and so its almost like 'our' difault wrestling company..........

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Crunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise
I'll tell you that if you want to see wrestling you watch NOAH, Zero-One, ROH, ECCW, 3PW, JAPW, TNA......
exactly thats why i watch TNA for wrestling and WWE for entertainment and get my daily dose of each every week therefore it balancing out.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
....Bang

I miss TNA, the WWE entertainment factor's are really winding me away from the product.....

I've seen a few TNa events and it blew my mind.....

I guess I'm stuck with the WWE, one it's the only televisied wrestling programming we have and any other franchise is 1000 miles away....