ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

Ratings Mean Sh*t.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
HHHater 4 Life

BADMAN(RAVEN) is on a distinguished road
Default Ratings Mean Sh*t.

First off, let me just bring up the history of the WWE. At one time, they were lucky to get the ratings they are getting now. They didn’t have the quality shows they have now and back then, they geared everything to the house shows. Well, things have changed and now house shows mean very little to the WWE. They have forgotten about how important they can be to merchandising sales and surprises the fans never expected before. That is another subject. The move away from house shows actually increased the importance of the television shows, but it wasn’t until the WWE-WCW war started that the WWE realized how important ratings were to advertising rates and money. Well, WCW is gone and the WWE were forced to continue the trend without any competition, because that is what the fans expected. Now, everyone is hooked on this whole weekly ratings report, when it only meant something when there was competition to consider. Do we even think the WWE will ever go anywhere if the ratings drop? Spike TV is lucky to be getting the ratings they are getting at all and there will always be a place for the WWE, because wrestling has been around forever and it isn’t going anywhere any time soon. There is plenty of money to be made and a lot more to come. Besides, why care about the ratings when the whole system has been screwed up as of late.

Here is what I don’t get. How are the ratings today considered to be the same as those of yesterday? So many things have changed since the days of Raw and Nitro. First off, we have like a million network television stations. There are five broadcast channels and Thursday nights feature Friends and Survivor, let alone whatever else is on against Smackdown like the cult hit Tru Calling. Smackdown is dividing up its ratings with great shows that would have destroyed all other competition, but the WWE is holding steady and even grows in the ratings from time to time. On the Raw side, the program used to compete on USA and moves to TNN and a name change to Spike doesn’t always help things at first. However, the bigger factor is that Raw was kicking ass back when cable television did not mean as much to the various stations. Now, every cable station and its mother has some sort of new original series; reality or otherwise, that the WWE has to compete with. You take 100 hundred fans away for Raw for each 100 hundred fans that are watching these shows and the WWE is still reigning supreme on cable, but having to compete with a whole lot more. You may say that the WWE should be better than all these programs, but the general philosophy is, wrestling will always be there, this show may not, so I will watch this programming and go back to wrestling when it is done. Wrestling is actually the victim of its own success. It is always the same; not much can change the whole concept of what a wrestling match is, it will always be there and there are only so many different storylines that can be done, while new, interesting and short series keep popping up to get that quick surge of ratings and then go away. That’s just the way it is.

In addition to that, even more stations are popping up. I mean, there are like 400 channels and how can you say today’s ratings can be compared to yesterday’s when Raw and Spike TV now compete with 400 channels and their shows. Add in Satellite television and their ratings system and how can we be so sure Raw is still as much a hit as it was before, but dilution of the television market has destroyed the way ratings are conducted. There has to be some similarity to the ratings dropping and the fact that ore and more people are switching to satellite television and also the rise of 400 channels and things like Video on Demand. I bet if the WWE put Raw on Video on Demand, you would see plenty more people checking the show out than ever before.

Moreover, let me point out the difference in wrestling and other television shows. Wrestling is not really one program. It is a bunch of different programs tied together in one. Yes, we may have one angle play out the entire night, but we also have several smaller angles going on and some catch our interest while others do not. So, when we love Kane’s new turn, well Kane gets more play and his show is picked up for another run. At the same time, if we hate the Steve Richards angle and its ratings are down, well then, he gets canceled, repackaged, move to a smaller program and brought back with something different that fans may like; just like regular television. Hulk Hogan’s push is simply just a retelling of an old television series, like the return of Fugitive or a new Hunter series and so on. An angle that is reminiscent of an older angle we saw in the past is just one television show using a formula that worked for someone else. Done all the time. So, instead of looking at the ratings as a whole, I rather look at the segments and how those ratings did. John Cena’s segment ratings are up and suddenly he is a pitchman for Stacker 2 YJ Stinger. Advertising dollars are coming in for the John Cena show. Catch my drift. When an angle is bad, we just switch the channel, but we come back. In wrestling, not all programs can be golden.

Finally, do you know a Nielsen’s family? Do you know one at all? I mean, think about it. I don’t remember anyone I knew that is a member of the Nielsen family, took part in the Nielsen family project or knew themselves of anyone who was involved in it. Do they even exist? Like I always wondered how they gathered ratings for radio when I never heard of a Nielsen’s radio family. I don’t get how this all works. If there was a Nielsen family and I was one of them, I know I could easily be paid off to watch a show a network wants me to see; how can I be the only one like this. The whole system sounds screwy to me and I heard there has been a number of problems lately that are hampering the system and that the WWE could benefit from these mistakes. How can I take stock in a ratings system that has its holes? Billboard is no longer the number one source for how a song is doing. Maybe we need another ratings system out there keeping track of the WWE and how they perform in the ratings.

Knowing the entertainment business as I do, I can tell you that a band can be awesome one moment and if someone wants that band to not succeed the next time out, they won’t. Case in point: The Spice Girls were hot. They released a third CD and no one knew about it, but they were so hot just before that, so how could the fans not here of the third release. MTV even did a special about the Spice Girls and how their career as a group was over and how they were doing their own thing now, even though their third CD was just released and their video was on Much Music, but not MTV. Did you know that Snow, the former white reggae star, is actually not former at all. He still is successful out of this country and I saw one of his videos and hear a few of his songs and they were awesome. Did you ever wonder why certain underground stars can’t break into the mainstream? I mean, the WWE didn’t want Essa Rios and Lita to succeed as a couple and split them up. RVD is an example of ignoring someone’s success and pushing their agenda. In the same regard, wrestling was a hot fad to discuss at one time, but when it was not as cool anymore, it was time to pull the plug and move on to something else that would make them money. The ratings did not gradually go down. They just bottomed out. It couldn’t really be that bad, because Wrestlemania XX sold out in like 15 minutes. Ric Flair’s DVD sold out rather quickly, too, better than any video or DVD, including those from the wrestling boom.

XFL was going to be hot and it really was not as bad as people said, but as soon as it came out, it was attacked and attacked and when it did good its first week, the attacks got worse until suddenly the ratings dropped to all time record lows. People don’t want to see McMahon succeed. He was a flavor of the month, but when people started thinking that he was getting too bi for his own good, people felt threatened and suddenly bye bye Vince. Right now, Jerry Springer’s ratings have increased rapidly and the WWE’s aren’t. Something’s wrong with this picture. But I guess that is just me.

This column was just written as I felt it. Maybe I am talking out of my ass. Maybe I am bringing up conspiracy theories. Maybe I took too much medication to get rid of this cough. Maybe I am just stupid, but wrestling websites continue to succeed, many wrestling magazines remain on the shelves, toys are selling out all around me as the holiday season comes, Flair’s DVD goes right off the shelves, Austin’s book is doing great, tickets are selling out in record numbers to the big shows, wrestlers are continued to be used for commercials, movies and other television projects. Fans have given up on wrestling; funny thing, because no one told the fans that. Fix the system. Until then, wrestling is as hot to me as it was the day I started watching.

BADMAN(RAVEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

^Speaking like some one who's, favorite wrestler can't draw. lol

You didn't write that column...Did you?
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Your Personal Demon

Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Ratings mean just a-fucking-bout everything in Vince's world. If you don't get ratings then he's not making money. Sure, crowd reactions are great and all, but he's been know to have cheers and boos pumped into the feed to trick the TV audience that this guy is over with the crowd and therefore should be liked.

Bottom line... if you don't draw then your not making the boss money, and if you're not making the boss money, you're not making the boss happy, and if you're not making the boss happy... well, you don't have a job for very long do you?
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR(UTH)IPLE H
^Speaking like some one who's, favorite wrestler can't draw. lol

You didn't write that column...Did you?
I was thinking the same thing on both counts...Figures a Goldberg mark would try and discount the importance of ratings. Badman, you should give credit to whoever actually wrote that

Ratings do matter, face facts

with out ratings you dont get advertisers....without advertising you dont get TV time...you cant pay salaries...the business fails and everyone goes to TNA...

if you can't draw a decent share of the market then why bother coming out?
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
HHHater 4 Life

BADMAN(RAVEN) is on a distinguished road

TR(UTH)IPLE H , Kurt Angle

bashing my favorite wrestler is 1 thing ,

BUT bashing my writing ability is low, way low.

BADMAN(RAVEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Adversary

HeelFace is on a distinguished road

Ratings were low long before Goldberg came along...why do you (Truthhh) absolutely have to turn every thread into some kind of Pro-Trips or Goldberg bashing thread? It's become pretty lame, just like Tri...well, I'll leave it at that. Seriously, though, don't you have anything else to contribute? I know you do, but lately you seem stuck.

Good post, Badman. Ratings have become the only thing Vince is interested in anymore, which has resulted in some pretty terrible tv for a while now. The shows are okay, but they get further and further away from their core audience every week. Rating are a good measuring stick, but shouldn't be reacted to as much as they have been lately.
HeelFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

^Where have I once, brought up Triple H in this thraed Shitface? I mean Heel face. I never said shit about, Triple H in this thread... and Badman didn't write that..
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Adversary

You did do some Goldberg bashing, though. Like I said, it's always one or the other...
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Badman, you did NOT write that. Look at the article, and then look at any of your other posts. Your commas are spaced apart, you mispell lots of stuff, etc. Give credit to whoever wrote that.

And yes, ratings are important for the reasons Kurt mentioned.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelFace
You did do some Goldberg bashing, though. Like I said, it's always one or the other...
When did I fucking Bash Botchberg in this thread (until now)? And since you're keeping score on who bashes who 1st in the Triple H/Flopberg feud...You'll see Badman follows me around, bashing Triple H in threads I don't even mention Triple H...So get your shit straight, before you EVER call me out again.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Adversary

When you said Badman's "favorite wrestler can't draw"...get YOUR shit straight.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelFace
When you said Badman's "favorite wrestler can't draw"...get YOUR shit straight.
Badman's favorie is Nash...

Seriously... nothing personal... Badman.... Give the real writer credit...
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 12:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

^His favorite wrestler(s) is Nash and Raven, both can not draw. He's admitted he only praises Goldberg, because I praise Triple H. He didn't even like Goldberg 5 months ago...So again I say get your Shit Straight, and mind your fucking business.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 01:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Angle
I was thinking the same thing on both counts...Figures a Goldberg mark would try and discount the importance of ratings. Badman, you should give credit to whoever actually wrote that

Ratings do matter, face facts

with out ratings you dont get advertisers....without advertising you dont get TV time...you cant pay salaries...the business fails and everyone goes to TNA...

if you can't draw a decent share of the market then why bother coming out?

That about somes up what i think of ratings. I mean you take Saturday Nite Main Event, that was up against SNL for years in the 80's.

If you actually posted this then Nice post Badman

Last edited by Dre; 24 Nov 2003 at 01:14 AM.
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 01:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Adversary

Whoever his favorite wrestler is, why bash him for making a decent post (even if he didn't write it)? Even if he starts it most of the time, why bother bashing Nash when he hasn't had anything to do with ratings for months? When Kurt called him a Goldberg mark for making this post, it sounded like he was adding to what you started, that's all. It was a decent post, whoever wrote it.