ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

I think this sums up the general concensus of last nights RAW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rhino is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhino
Default I think this sums up the general concensus of last nights RAW

Compliments of 1wrestling.com

SCHERER THROWS GAS ON LAST NIGHT'S RAW

by Dave Scherer

Last night's Raw was another one of those episodes that made me curse the day that "Professional Wrestling" became "Sports Entertainment". While I realize that there are many among us that love the SE concept of the wrestling business, and I will freely admit that there are times when I do too when it's done well, there is also a down side in getting away from wrestling and into entertainment. It was on full display, in all of its glory or lack thereof, last night as Kane "set fire" to a stunt man dressed up like Jim Ross. It's no secret that the McMahons have never looked at their company as just "a pro wrestling circuit". In fact, for years Vince McMahon has mocked that old style as "Rasslin'", with the inflection in his voice making it quite clear the disdain he has for what the business was before he came along. He sees his company as more than what the business used to be and with the aid of his daughter, continually tries to take it into a new direction that often makes me believe both would be happier working in any field but the product that has made them rich and famous.

To be fair, at times the Sports Entertainment concept has produced some of the best wrestling television that the business has ever been, such as what the company was doing a few years ago. At other times, we have had HHH humping a corpse, as well as seen numerous people vomit and defecate on the shows. After last night, I think it's fair to add the toasting of Jim Ross to the "Katie Vick" list.

Words can't really describe what was going through my head when the interview with Kane started. My hopes were high for the segment going in, but as soon as Big Red broke out the gas can, I knew what was coming, as did most people over the age of six. In a way, the fact that it was so obviously going to happen probably made me hate the angle even more since I was just left waiting for Kane to get mad and put JR on the barbie, like shrimp at the Outback Steakhouse. Any suspense was gone the second that JR opened the box and pulled out the can. Had they done the interview and had Kane torch JR more suddenly, and out of nowhere, I may have liked it better since the element of surprise would have been there and maybe I would have reacted to it instead of just waiting for it to happen. But it didn't, so I was just left waiting for the inevitable.

When it was all done, you had to decide for yourself if that version of "Sports Entertainment" was fun to watch and if it was, well then, you enjoyed it. Me? I didn't like it at all. After it was all over I probably was wearing the same stunned look on my face that the crowd in Indianapolis had. Some may say that they were stunned because of "the horror that they had just witnessed". I guess that is true because you can define the word "horror" in many ways. For me, the "horror" of it all was that the management of the company thought that was a good segment to do and thought it was what the fans wanted to see. In my case, they couldn't have been more wrong.

Plusses: I liked the Booker vs. Christian match, even if they are getting close to overexposing their feud a bit. ... Even if the logic in what he had to say was nonexistent, I have to give Eric Bischoff a thumbs up for his promo at the end of the show. He delivered it well. ... You have to give credit to HHH for his performance last night. He was obviously in pain throughout his match but he worked anyway. I also liked the way that they booked Randy Orton and Evolution last night. They are trying to build Orton up and you have to give them credit for that. I would have liked it if it didn't come at the expense of the Dudley Boys, but WWE has shown us in the past that tag wrestlers just don't get the respect that they should. Hell, Steve Austin beat up both members of the tag champs at the same time a few weeks ago. So, we shouldn't be shocked when we don't see them go 0 and 3 in a match like that. ... Even though I hated the way they did the Kane angle, I have to give them credit for it from one perspective. It was clear from last week's quarter hour ratings that the Kane saga grabbed the audience. They did a good job of building up to the interview all night and were smart to save it to the end. My hunch is that it will do a strong number again this week. ... Teddy Long is great in his role. I may not always like what he says, but I like how he does his job. He's entertaining and fun to watch in his role. ... They did a good job of promoting next week's show. I just hope it's a hell of a lot better than last night's, which was not good at all.

Minuses: Obviously, the Kane angle tops this list today for me. ... The first major "how stupid can they be" moment happened last night during Lance Storm's match. Here is Storm, working the more ground based style of match that the company has told all the guys to do in an effort to curb the out-of-control injury rate, and both Coach and Lawler go out of their way to talk about how boring and dull the match is. That is real rocket science there. All I could think of was an old phrase one of my football coaches used to say all the time when I was a kid, "If they had half a brain they'd be a quarter wit." It fits in this case. ... Speaking of that match, Maven was just awful last night. The fact that he still is so green is amazing to me after all this time. He was so choppy in his work that I felt bad for Storm last night in the match. They clearly didn't gel. It was so bad that at one point, Coach even said something like, "That wasn't a kick out. I don't know what it was." I didn't either Coach. ... WWE logic just continues to baffle me, in this case with them blaming Steve Austin for Kane's turn. Let me get this straight. Austin tried to get Kane to chokeslam him last month. Kane wouldn't do it. So, Eric Bischoff books Kane in a title vs. mask match against HHH. Kane loses and has to pull off his mask, goes nuts and that is freakin' Austin's fault? That is just downright insulting to anyone's intelligence. I would guess, if there is a moment of lucidity with the creative team, that they will have Linda Mac say as much next week on Raw but even if they go that way and say how logic defying it was to blame Austin, it tells me how little they think of our collective IQs. I can see the creative team now, sitting in meetings saying, "These saps will find this to be a compelling story." ... Once again, I hated how they used the "retired due to a serious neck injury" Steve Austin as a guy who can still beat up anyone, including the guys that the company expects me to pay money to see wrestle. Last night, Austin stunned both Jericho and Christian in the same show. Why should I pay to see them wrestle when they can't even last a minute with a crippled former wrestler? I know that some will say it's OK to do have Austin take everyone out because he is over and the people pop for it, but that is part of the very problem with him doing it. Austin's days as a wrestler are done. Any pop he gets for stunning someone is a pop from the past, and he is doing it at the expense of people who are the company's present and future. If Austin is not going to wrestle, he shouldn't be beating up guys that do. It's that simple. The creative team needs to get new people over and stop using Austin as a crutch that they lean on far too often to get a pop, and at the expense of their active guys. ... The show was really, really bad on the whole last night. It's a shame too because up until a few weeks ago, they were on a nice roll for Raw. Now, they have rolled off a cliff.

A Mixture Of Both: While I hated the Kane angle overall, I did like that they addressed that Kane's problem was in his head and that is why he doesn't actually look heinous (goofy, yes, heinous no). I actually think that is a good way to go with his character as it adds some depth to it. Of course, the downside is that when he first unmasked a few weeks ago, the announcers sold it like he was scarred and ugly, so you can't have everything. If they planned a little further in advance, they could avoid these problems but that is probably too much to ask.

Rhetorical and Unanswered Questions:

Isn't it downright funny to hear Chris Jericho refer to Eric Bischoff as his "close personal friend"?

Was Bischoff shooting when he said Austin ran the show into the ground last week?

Why does Bischoff have to search out and obtain footage of his show, shot by his cameramen, as he did with Kane's attack on RVD from last week?

Does it make ANY sense that Austin, who retired due to serious neck problems, comes out with no neck brace at all and showing no signs at all of what Kane did to him last week?

And, if they were going to keep presenting Austin as Superman, why did they ever tell us he was hurt to begin with?

Was Bischoff right on the money, for all the wrong reasons, when he said to Austin, "Great, you're going to kick Kane's ass. What is that going to accomplish?"

Doesn't it sound so 1999 when Lawler opens a segment with, "Are you ready for some puppies"?

When Coachman said that Nash has a look on his face that says he is not happy, was I the only one thinking, "What's he got to be happy about?"

Why the hell wouldn't Nash come off the apron and block Test when Steiner was chasing him to that side of the ring?

Isn't the Matrix move that Trish does cool?

Why don't they listen to Bischoff when he says that a general manager should never lay his hands on a talent?

Doesn't it say it all about the egos when the first Vengeance commercial we see is not for the WWE Title match, but rather for the almost 60 year old owner and his feud?

Didn't you feel bad for the live fans who had to listen to La Resistance through the commercial break?

As bad as he was with his song stylings, why didn't Bubba let D Von sing more since D Von at least carried a tune instead of slaughtering it the way Bubba did?

Was anyone shocked to see Spike get eliminated first in the six man match?

Or, for none of the Dudleys to score an elimination?

How did Dusty Rhodes feel when Lawler said that he "turned over in his grave"?

Has Rob Van Dam been shaving the sides of his head for a while now?

Did I really hear Teddy long refer to white people as "crackers"?

Am I the only person who wishes that both Terry Tate, Office Linebacker, and the people who write his ads were working on Raw?

Why did Jericho ask Evolution to sign his petition when he could have just went to HHH and said, "Hey, get your girl to fire Austin, will ya"?

Why did Booker T, the champ, come out before Christian, the challenger?

What in the name of God were they thinking by putting Molly vs. Gail Kim on that late in the show?

And, did you see how stunned the fans were when they did it?

Was it just me, or did Molly seem more buxom than she had in the past?

So, does this mean that Jim Ross has been fired three times by WWE now?

And, will he now say that someone is running like a "scalded JR"?

What kind of moron says, "JR, are you OK" after the guy was just "set on fire"?

Did you catch the poor edit which showed the stunt man and JR trading places?

Why do I get the feeling, since he was "only burned" on his back and legs, that JR will be back on TV in no time?

And, if it means he will replace Coach, will anyone really complain about it?

Couldn't have said it any better myself
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superstar

showstopper496 can only hope to improveshowstopper496 can only hope to improveshowstopper496 can only hope to improve
Send a message via Yahoo to showstopper496

okay......I am not reading that much

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\abdul a shaik\My Documents\pics\Picture 3.jpg[/img]
showstopper496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
You WILL Be Regulated....

Mr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-able

IF YOU WANT REAL WRESTLING, GO WATCH THE OLYMPICS.

OTHERWISE, LET ME ENJOY MY SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT AND SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Marbles is what all you wannabees want to be. he is who you think about when you touch yoursleves at night. He is the person you think about everyone someone says, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Hes the person your girlfriend thinks about when youre inside her, and hes the one your parents really wanted. His dick is the one your dick looks up to. He is the marbleous one. The one that YOU ALL WANT TO BE
Mr. Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Hanks With-A the Aids

Forgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Forgotten Sin

Agreed! I Like watching The Jr STunt Double CLip! I've actually watched it about 30 times now, and i'm still laughing my ass off!

Forgotten Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
HHHater 4 Life

BADMAN(RAVEN) is on a distinguished road

well ,

I said it before and I will say it again

you can cry like a baby & bitch like a 2 $ slut all you want , BUT you will NEVER EVER change anything , now can you.

so , stop making a fool out of your self ,

if you like the WWE watch it , if you don't like it , you can buy a "F**k Vince" T-shirt and get the "F" out

BADMAN(RAVEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally posted by WAYNE CAMPBELL

Well said..
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pitt Boss

Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Kool Aid Man , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally posted by WAYNE CAMPBELL

Schwiiiiing.

Kool Aid Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Reign of Fire

Dafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant futureDafisherman has a brilliant future

I've seen both sides of the fence, Pro wrestling and Sports Entertainment....going back to the late 60's to the present. I miss the old style wrestling when we used to call wrestling "Big Time Wrestling." Hey don't get me wrong, I do enjoy our current product but sometimes its so fucking cluttered. I understand what the guy is saying, some of the shit sometimes is so fucking mindless. Because Big Time Wrestling is now Sports Entertainment, stories and gimmicks have to more elaborate and edgy. Well its the sign of times. With all of the bullshit stories/angles like the Katy Vick Necrophelia angle, Big Show's father being dragged in his coffin, the lesbian angle between Torrie and Dawn Marie and that god forsaken angle between Dawn and Torrie's father Al. Sometimes you have to bitch about it.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kaptin Karmo

'tin Man is on a distinguished road

i think the article was spot on the money.
i a m a pro wrestling/sports entertainment fan, but wwe is being so sloppy and shit. and many agree, i only watch on fast forward and dont buy the ppvs, i get a mate to tape em, and i i hope wwe pulls its nuts out of its ears before it get bumholesd into the ground

i am the rock lobster!!

THE ULTIMATE POSTER
'tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Faggot bitch dirt sheet "Writers" are the biggest bunch of crybabies and complainers I've ever seen. I wish they'd put that much dedication into bitching about the sitcoms, or soap operas, or reality tv shows, or all the other braindead crap that's on tv 99% of the time and just for once shut the fuck up and let me enjoy something. I don't care about their analysis and rundowns and critiques. All I care about is kicking back for a couple hours and watching the show. I'll decide for myself if I like it or not, and then, I'll decide for myself if I'm going to watch something or not.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jobber

Premier is on a distinguished road

That was a pretty good analysis, but yeah, I really don't care that much. I'll keep watching. As far as Coach and Lawler though... they suck together. Lawler is obviously just there for comedic purposes, but Coach just doesn't know enough about pro wrestling to pick up the King's slack. He called a Nash's jackknife a "powerbomb" as if he didn't know that it was his finisher, and no one seemed to know the name of Randy Orton's finisher - it was just a "takedown" or something. They need to get Lita or Raven or Paul Heyman or someone back in there for commentary b/c that was horrible.
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via MSN to Dick Biggs
Default Re: I think this sums up the general concensus of last nights RAW

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhino
So, does this mean that Jim Ross has been fired three times by WWE now?

LOL....
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

RAW WAS KICK-ASS

that is all