ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

GLAAD Gets Mad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Sep 2002, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...
Talking GLAAD Gets Mad

Once again the Gay community is looking for something to bitch about.....

Christopher Lisotta, Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network

SUMMARY: The wacky world of pro wrestling got even wackier this week when a "gay wedding" between two WWE partners was called off.

The wacky, flamboyant world of professional wrestling got even wackier this week when the highly-touted Sept. 12 "gay wedding" between two World Wrestling Entertainment partners was called off.

The wrestling sideshow has left GLBT media watchdog organization GLAAD furious, after the group publicly supported the wedding as a step forward for the usually homophobic pro wrestling world.

Billy (played by Chuck Palumbo) and Chuck (played by Monty Sopp), former pro wrestling champions, have been showing each other more and more affection on UPN's Thursday night "Smackdown" wrestling program over the past few months, with the two wrestlers characters finally announcing last week on the show they were getting hitched.

According to the WWE, which scripts all its matches, neither Palumbo nor Sopp are really gay. The WWE has also made it clear that the planned wedding and Billy and Chuck's increasingly affectionate onscreen relationship were both simply part of a storyline.

"What we like to do in our genre is bring in issues that are out there in society that are topical," Stephanie McMahon, daughter of World Wrestling chiefs Vince and Linda McMahon, told pagesix.com on Sept. 9.

Initially GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation ( news - web sites), was supportive of the stunt, saying it was a step forward for the world of professional wrestling and a good message to the impressionable male teens who make up a large portion of the WWE's audience.

"Billy and Chuck were a welcomed departure from the stereotypical, often-victimized gay wrestlers of the past," said GLAAD spokesman Scott Seomin.

The announcement of the planned gay wedding got the WWE tons of press, including mention in The New York Times, The Washington Post and on the Today Show, which featured the two wrestlers out of character in an interview with host Matt Lauer. The end of the interview featured Lauer giving the two wrestlers a Pottery Barn gravy boat as a wedding gift from GLAAD.

On the Sept. 12 show, Billy and Chuck announced they weren't getting married, that they are both really straight, and that the whole storyline was nothing more than a publicity stunt. The wedding ended (predictably) with a brawl involving wrestlers on a rival WWE show that to many looked like a gay bashing. GLAAD responded angrily, saying they had been mislead by McMahon and the WWE.

"The WWE lied to us two months ago when they promised that Billy and Chuck would come out and wed on the air," Seomin said "In fact, I was told (lied to) the day after the show was taped in Minneapolis that the wedding took place and all was well."

Criticism of both WWE and GLAAD's actions was swift. John McClelland, a columnist at OutSports.com said the WWE's called-off wedding sent the wrong message and was a disaster for GLAAD. "For Seomin to proclaim to the Washington Post that this story line and wedding is 'a hoot' and that it 'reaches a lot of potential bullies and gay bashers out there, and what Billy and Chuck are saying is not only 'We're here,' but they also say 'Don't mess with us,'' is absurd."

The WWE is clearly in need of publicity stunts. Its ratings are down by more than 20 percent from last year, and the company has seen its net income drop by 79 percent over the past twelve months.

I mean come on so what if they didn't get maarried, sorry if some people still like to think TV isn't complete garbage

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
3 Minute Man

The Real Deal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Real Deal

I think its funny as hell, that even still, after all the stuff that the WWE has done in the past, that the WWE is still able to mess with people like that. Seriously, did GLAAD really, REALLY think that there would be a same sex marriage on a wrestling show? When will these people learn, (GLAAD, PTC, etc.....) that the WWE is going to mess with you, and that you shouldn't take them so serious as to send out press releases and interviews comending the WWE on their actions. Silly social organization......

Wrestling Fan Forum- Tell 'em The Real Deal sent ya!
The Real Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mexican Mammoth

~Y2A~ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ~Y2A~ Send a message via MSN to ~Y2A~

Quote:
Originally posted by The Real Deal
I think its funny as hell, that even still, after all the stuff that the WWE has done in the past, that the WWE is still able to mess with people like that. Seriously, did GLAAD really, REALLY think that there would be a same sex marriage on a wrestling show? When will these people learn, (GLAAD, PTC, etc.....) that the WWE is going to mess with you, and that you shouldn't take them so serious as to send out press releases and interviews comending the WWE on their actions. Silly social organization......
I like your banner, and the GLAAD thing is just another reason to bitch about WWE. And the PTC, if they don't like what the wrestling world presents then they really shouldn't bother, they know WWE is contreversial. I remember someone said, when the HLA thing happened, that if parents were so concerned about what their child is watching, why let them stay up till 11:00PM on a school night! I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Screwball

Wolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Wolf Send a message via MSN to Wolf

Don;t know why they were surprised. Any marriage that is ever shown on the WWE never accually happens. why did they think they would break the trend with a gay angle.

My Teams

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

I knew from the start it wasn't actually going to happen.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

what the hell where you doing at gay.com, anyway let them get mad, those fools get mad at everything that doesnt go thier way. i never heard of a organization called glaad that gets mad at every stupid thing.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
16 Time World Champion

Ric Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of FamerRic Flair is a PWF Hall of Famer

I also found the article hilarious. The article itself shows that the GLAAD didnt do a good job reasearching the article when they said this:
Quote:
Billy (played by Chuck Palumbo) and Chuck (played by Monty Sopp),

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
I dunno...it's the"I'm better than you and I'm not even gonna shout it, yell it or overstate it, I'm fuckin Naitch goddamn it and all I really got to say is ......wooooooooooo!!!!!" pic of Ric
Ric Flair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2002, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

Who gives a f*** about GLAAD anyway?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Your Personal Demon

Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Actually, I'm happy the GLAAD has found something to bitch about again. After all the successes they have had: Gays in the military, same sex marraiges and all, I figured that they didn't have anything to do anymore. It's good to see that there are still organizations like GLAAD and the PTC to make our lives a living hell again
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dre

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

What is the PTC?

and SS i got the artical from Yahoo, and cut and paste.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Your Personal Demon

Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...Mr. Hostility , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Parents Television Council: and evil organization hell bent on ruling the world and telling us what to watch on TV
Old 17 Sep 2002, 05:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
'tin Man

why do gay people all want to join the bloody army all the time? in england, the guys who go and join the ary are the guys who beat up the so called "gay kids " at school. why do the gay people want to go get their asses kicked again?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dre

I don't know but if the gays want to fight in this army then go right ahead, shit cause i ain't dieing, so they can.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

J-Syxx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The wedding ended (predictably) with a brawl involving wrestlers on a rival WWE show that to many looked like a gay bashing.
My god what a bunch of jokers. Looked to many like gay-bashing, wtf? What were they not expecting to see violence on a wrestling program? Were they actually expecting Billy and Chuck to kiss and that would be the end of it? I do have to commend Vince Mcmahon on this one, he played these jokers and the media like a flute. And I'm glad because they've treated wrestling like the enemy for years and try to make it suck for everyone who's just wants to have a good time.
J-Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Meat

Anonmatel is on a distinguished road

GLAAD spokesman Scott Seomin.

Does anyone else see something wrong with that lst name.
I'm not homophomic in anyway. but i'm gonna rip on this guys name.

First of all. Seomin, sounds a hell of alot like Semen. But thats just for starters. Lets break it down a little more

Se- O-Min. which could be construed for "See O Men"

See = check that out
O = hole of course, which means ass.
Men = self explanitory.

So a Gay activists name could very well mean "check that ass out guys"

Once again i apoligise for writing this.
Don't take any of if seriously
Anonmatel is offline   Reply With Quote