ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > World Wrestling Entertainment

World Wrestling Entertainment Come here to discuss anything about World Wrestling Entertainment.

Does anyone else miss the managers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2003, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

KingO is on a distinguished road
Default Does anyone else miss the managers?

Hey this is my first thread and I was wondering if anyone else missed the days of managers in Pro Wrestling? Where are the Captain Lous, Bobby Heenans, Freddy Blassies, Jim Cornetts, J J Dillons, Jimmy Harts, heck where's Paul Bearer? I miss the days when a manager had a stable, and those were the guys to beat. Sure Flair and Heyman are putting together groups, and that's getting close but it's still to early to tell. Did the fans really need all the eye candy valets? Did Sunny, Francine and their like add anything to the gimmick beside looks? Did they plot and scheme, and act like criminal masterminds? Is it just me? I'd love to see Captain Lou come down to the ring along side Rikishi announcing that if Nunzio was calling in the "Family" so were they, and a new Samoan team came out.
Just something to think about. What does everyone else think?

KingO
KingO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fear the Spear !!!!

Danevs is on a distinguished road

no not really in those days because most wrestlers had managers they had a lot les charisma with managers doing the promos and such but know to succeed at a high level you have to be able to talk and wrestle instead of back then when you just had to look big and wrestle

Its the question on everyones mind in sports entertainment......

WHOS NEXT ???

Danevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BITCH ! BITE ME !

Tamara Sanchez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Tamara Sanchez Send a message via AIM to Tamara Sanchez

I only miss Sunny , Marlena (yes , Terry) and Jimmy Hart .
Old 21 Feb 2003, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
THE fucking Kanenite!

The Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud ofThe Bleak has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to The Bleak

I difenatly miss the managers. They fucking rocked!

Disclaimer: All comments made by this poster have a high probability of being made while under the influence of alachol.
The Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

Managers added a certain element to the wrestling world....The manager could close the gap between the wrestler and the audience....Would Andre have been as big of a heel heading into Wrestlemania III had Heenan not been in the Piper's Pit with him.....That's not to say any body should be thrown a manager....Paul Heyman has somewhat rectified the notion of managers....But if it is the right fit...Why not have them....

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.

I think that is why The WWE is pushing guys like Ric Flair, Paul Heyman and Teddy Long...
BOSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

KingO is on a distinguished road

I think a lot of guys do great without 'em, don't get me wrong. But there are guys who are look good and have great in ring skills, and just look dumb when they try to talk. Brock needs someone like Heyman. Jeff Hardy could use some to do the talking for him too. Both guys are fine in the ring, but just don't come off that great in promo's or on the mic. Gangrel is another good example. He had power, a good ring presence, and an interesting look, but as soon as he tried to speak...the whole image was shot. I think he'd still a player today if he had a Paul Bearer type of his own.

KingO
KingO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

J-Syxx will become famous soon enough

Yea, Paul Bearer should have never been let go. A really, stupid-ass mistake. They could've taken another newbie who was big, give him a super-natural or monster gimmick, Bearer as a manager, and he would be made. The phasing out of managers does piss me off a bit, but Slash is right Paul Heyman may be helping the situation. God, knows Brock would be nowhere without Paul E.
J-Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2003, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
punished by Exo indefinitely for trying to stalk and for being a dork

Fallen Angel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fallen Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Fallen Angel

If handled right, managers would play an integral role in storyline development, sure they would carry the mic for a wrestler that lacks within that particular area, but still... if somehow they could blend a balance wrestler along with a legitimate respected or hated manager, it could bring more depth to any given angle, making for more possibilities, because if its not played right, it just becomes more predictable than it already is.
~"The earth is full of kings and queens. They'll blind your eyes and steal your dreams. Kurt Cobain didn't make it... and left behind a generation of tortured souls. heed this warning."~
<center>
<select name=which style="font-family: tahoma; font-size: 9pt; background-color: black; font-weight: ; color: darkblue">
<option>Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box</option>
<option></option>
<option>She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak</option>
<option>I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for a week</option>
<option>I was drawn into your magnet tar pit trap</option>
<option>I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn back</option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>I've got a new complaint</option>
<option>Forever in debt to your priceless advice</option>
<option></option>
<option>(Hate)</option>
<option>(Weight)</option>
<option></option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet</option>
<option>Cut myself angel's hair and baby's breath</option>
<option>Broken hymen of your highness I'm left black</option>
<option>Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back -</option>
</select>

<center>

<center>I am now complete

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2003, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

El J is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to El J Send a message via Yahoo to El J

Managers added that extra side to a wrestler and so did some valets (Marlena and Sable) but if they are used wrong then they do just take from the wrestler