ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > WarZone

WarZone This is the fights forum, where all user/user fights should go.

Monday Night Wats review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2004, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Shooter Magavin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shooter Magavin Send a message via MSN to Shooter Magavin
Default Monday Night Wats review

Starring: Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff, Jim Ross, Mick Foley, and Gene Okerlund
Rating: Not Rated
Distributor: Sony Music (Video)
Release Date: February 3, 2004
Review posted: August 9, 2004
Spoilers: None

ďThe Monday Night War was overÖone might say, there was only one winner. But there were millions of winners; all the fans who came to watch and cheer their favorites in the Monday Night War.Ē

SYNOPSIS

Now it can be told. In 1995, two wrestling companies squared off on Monday night television to compete head to head in on unprecedented confrontation.

On one side, Vince McMahon, the promoter who created WWF (now known as WWE) and made the industry what it is today.

On the other, WCW, owned by media giant Ted Turner and run by an ambitious man named Eric Bischoff.

This is the whole story told by those who created it, lived it, and survived; the Monday Night War.

CRITIQUE

I do admit there was a time when I really enjoyed pro wrestling at its best. That time happen to be in the mist of the Monday Night War. I didnít really know how it started (and this DVD automatically tells you), seeing as though I was caught into it in the middle of it all. I do vividly remember key moments in both WCW and (at the time) WWF such as the streak Bill Goldberg had, nWo (especially the Wolfpac), DX, Rock/Stone Cold feud as well as the Vince/Austin feud (which is considered all time classic.) From the lWo to Rock/Sock connection, from the Minister of Darkness to the Nitro Girls, from the cooperation to the Bill Goldberg and Hulk Hogan parodies Ė and much-much more. I just remember odds and ends, probably things the hardcore wrestling fans donít even remember. As a jr. high/high school student, that was the greatest time ever in probably TV history and in the pop culture.

The concept of two similar companies squaring off isnít too unusually. I mean, you at least have a dozen or so same sports channels, movie channels, news channels, and even reality TV intertwining each other. Not to mention Quiznos/Subway, McDonalds/Burger King, and Coke/Pepsi. So the Monday Night War wasnít an horrible concept at all (and in fact, itís what WWE needs right now.) I truly think competition brings out the best of something. The war between the WWF and the WCW shows is a pure example.

This is the one and only WWE DVD that I was willing to buy and only buy. Iím not at all interested in key wrestlers DVDís and or PPVs. I was interested in a couple of things; the best of WCW moments and this concept; Monday Night War. I was waiting to see what would come out first.

The ninety-minute documentary exploits the key players who were involved and the key scenarios/events during the period of the war. Obviously, for 90 minutes Ė they took five or six years and attempted to squeeze it all on the time-span it had. So itís a given many things are missing. In fact, think of this DVD as like a ďbest ofĒ of your favorite band Ė got a wide range of selections but of course, many key ingredients are missing. Thatís what this DVD holds, a best of with many missing key things. But with the limited stuff they had in terms of people willing to interview, it was put together nicely.

It foils from beginning to end, almost like Behind the Music or True Hollywood Story. In fact, when there is a dramatic part of the story being told there will be dramatic music in the background like any other documentary. It truly is brilliantly pieced together, giving both sides a chance to speak about their key moments and what brought them there. Iím not sure if other WWE DVDs are like this but this one in particular was thought of carefully enough and was presented in a tasteful and utmost perfected way.

There are flaws though. First of all, itís more bias toward the WWE (of course, since itís their DVD to begin with). So even though there were some fine WCW moments they gave, it wasnít much and I do remember (seeing as though I was introduced and got into WCW first) more good things WCW had then just what they mentioned.

Another huge flaw is the limited of people they had telling the story. I wanted to hear from Stone Cold, The Rock, Bret Hart, Bill Goldberg, DDP, Ted Turner himself, hell Ė even the Nitro Girls. To me, this was just a quarter of the true in-depth story. Thatís one problem WWE has in producing things like this. They are always limited with the people (I remember that when they attempted to do a very horrible approach of a RAW Tenth Year Anniversary awards night Ė knocking off the Academy Awards but came off like a high school award ceremony, they had limited people which defeated the purpose of the award show).

If people arenít in WWE and doesnít want a contract, thatís fine and dandy. But at least ask them to participate in the documentaries and such, reflecting not the present or future WWE but the past events. That, to me, was sloppy work on their part. In my opinion, I think the Monday Night War would make a nifty book instead, almost like the wrestlers bios that comes out every now and then. To me, there is so much more depth to the Monday Night War then just what was said in the 90-mintue documentary.

THE VIDEO

Sony presents the Monday Night War in 1.78:1 fullscreen. This is the documentary that seems to be taken off TV (WWE Confidential I think) yet there is no source of it from TV, so it must have been transferred digitally before it got onto TV. There is no grainy or anything of that sort. So itís beautifully presented with brightness colors when there is bright colors and dark colors when there is dark colors. And there is a nice transition from the RAW/Nitro footage to the interviews at hand (and some footage that goes way back to the mid/late 90ís) so everything was put together and balanced just right.

THE AUDIO

Sony presents the Monday Night War in Dolby Digital 5.1. Because this is a documentary, surround sound is not an issue, however, with the wrestling footage Ė sound effects like the stomp on the ring or a chair-slap or even the music in the background is all beautifully heard with no trouble. The interviews and promos are clear and not distorted.

THE EXTRAS

The WWE DVDs version of extras includes a few matches and promos. The ďextrasĒ include:

2 matches From Raw
-Shawn and Austin vs. Owen Hart and Bulldogg
-Shawn and HHH vs. Legion of Doom
2 matches From Nitro
-Booker T vs. Chris Benoit
-Goldberg vs. Hogan
The Last Nitro
Bischoff Challenges McMahon
DX Invades Nitro
McMahon's "Bret Screwed Bret" interview
Stone Cold Stuns McMahon
Jim Cornette
nWo in the Production Truck
Eric Challenges Vince
Ric Flair returns to WCW
Rick Rude appears on Nitro and Raw the same Night

This is 86 minutes of supposed extra footage. Although there are quite a few things here thatís a treat to see again. The highlight is the Bret Screwed Bret interview, the Goldberg/Hogan match (which I even remember that night, that was just an amazing night), nWo in truck, and the DX invasion. Actually, the WCW moments is really the finer tone of this DVD as a whole Ė seeing as though this is stuff that hasnít been seen in years. The extras arenít huge or real exciting Ė actually underplays the documentary (and itís weird how they include stuff they talk about and actually show in the documentary itself.) I would have expected more effort and include much more things.

FINAL THOUGHTS

For someone who use to glue his butt to the TV set every Monday Night during the late 90ís, this was a treat to see and have. I donít particular care for the brand WWE is pushing now and I refuse to buy anything from WWE that refuses to release WCW stuff but I just had to get this DVD. Lots of memories during that time came to mind. Anyone that argues that this wasnít a good time for wrestling and TV in general needs to get his or her head-check. Pro wrestling is part of our pop culture and it just got a theatrical tone during the Monday Night Wars. Iím a little disappointed on how there is so much missing. This could easily been a two-four-discer set, packed with more stuff. Since WWE bought WCW, you would think WWE would be smart enough to release the WCW stuff out on DVDís. This was a nice retrospect but very bias more towards WWE and misses a lot of key elements. And I donít suppose an extended version is in the prospects.

Despite the missing key stuff, this DVD is for both the people like me who use to enjoy the finer Raw and Nitro moments and of course for the hardcore WWE/pro wrestling fans. Out of all the WWE DVDs that has came and went, this is the one to get for sure.

VERDICT: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

THE MOVIE

THE VIDEO

THE AUDIO

THE EXTRAS

OVERALL
Shooter Magavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2004, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Send a message via AIM to Shooter Magavin Send a message via MSN to Shooter Magavin

All done by me BTW.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
You WILL Be Regulated....

Mr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-able

This DVD is like half a year old and everybody's seen it and forgotten it by now.
Marbles is what all you wannabees want to be. he is who you think about when you touch yoursleves at night. He is the person you think about everyone someone says, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Hes the person your girlfriend thinks about when youre inside her, and hes the one your parents really wanted. His dick is the one your dick looks up to. He is the marbleous one. The one that YOU ALL WANT TO BE
Mr. Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2004, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter Magavin
All done by me BTW.

You couldn't type a post more than 10 words if your fuckin life depended on it you schmuck
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2004, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven Mitt

You couldn't type a post more than 10 words if your fuckin life depended on it you schmuck
What are you talking about. I've made like two other threads like this. And there's no fucking threads to actually make sensible posts.

Whatever...I know the game your playing.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

D
E
L
E
T
E
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter Magavin
What are you talking about. I've made like two other threads like this. And there's no fucking threads to actually make sensible posts.

Whatever...I know the game your playing.
Ho hum, how about my AL/NL MVP/Cy Young thread? Could have made a sensible post out of that.

Just admit that you fuckin ripped this. Give credit to the rightful writer and be done with it. You're a fraud, simple as that
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

What are you talking about. This thread has gone to shit, not one good post. Just you spamming it up. So there's need for this bs.

Thank You.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

LMFAO, you're one to talk about spam

Every single one of your lousy ass posts is FUCKING SPAM
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

You know this DVD is old when I have it and I live in a country thats determined to have us recieve nothing that is new and 6 month old is standard fare for new release

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2004, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kurt Angle

It says Review Posted August 9th...but the thread wasnt made until August 24th
It also refers to you watching the Monday night wars as a jr high.highschool student...you are 16 yrs old.....the wars started in 95, you would have been about 6, thats first grade not jr. high.

I'll give you credit for at least stealing an idiots work...cuz goddam are there a lot of typos in there.
Good plan, when plageurizing...aim low, it makes it more believable.

You didnt write this...own up to it...it'll be ok...we can't possibly think any less of you
Old 28 Aug 2004, 05:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

There goes all your credibility, Shooter...
Old 28 Aug 2004, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bah Gawd

WallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improveWallsOfJericho can only hope to improve

shooter's attempts at being a respected poster are hilarious
WallsOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2004, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Angle
It says Review Posted August 9th...but the thread wasnt made until August 24th
It also refers to you watching the Monday night wars as a jr high.highschool student...you are 16 yrs old.....the wars started in 95, you would have been about 6, thats first grade not jr. high.

I'll give you credit for at least stealing an idiots work...cuz goddam are there a lot of typos in there.
Good plan, when plageurizing...aim low, it makes it more believable.

You didnt write this...own up to it...it'll be ok...we can't possibly think any less of you

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dead Man Walking

The Undertaker is on a distinguished road

Wow, this fag is pitiful. Why Shooter would include "Post Date" is beyond me.