ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NFL 2008-09 PWF Official thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2008, 10:29 PM   #61 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.

Punchless Vikings bench Jackson, turn to Frerotte as starter

The Minnesota Vikings, with an 0-2 start to the season, are turning to veteran Gus Frerotte to bring them out of the hole.

No coach had more faith in his quarterback than coach Brad Childress had in Tarvaris Jackson, who has made 16 career starts. But Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season, announcing the decision at his Wednesday media availability.

"I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the offseason, training camp, the two preseason games that he played in," Childress said. "And part of it may be experience. I know Gus will give us that. And I know his approach will also lend itself to that."

Jackson was 8-4 as a starter last season, even though he completed only 58.2 percent of his passes and had a 70.8 quarterback rating.

This season started even slower for Jackson. He completed only 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards in two games, in an offense that is ranked 24th in the league in passing despite a strong running game from Adrian Peterson.

Seifert: Sign of Self-Doubt

By turning away from Tarvaris Jackson, Brad Childress might be jeopardizing his reputation as a molder of quarterbacks. Blog

"I wish I had more time, but it's Coach's decision," Jackson said. "I don't want all my work to go to waste. I felt like I've come this far and I've worked so hard to get to where I am now and I'm going to continue to work hard and keep trying to get better and take it one day at a time. Whatever happens, happens."

Jackson has been playing with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee, an injury that forced him at times to wear a brace. In the season opener, a 24-19 loss to Green Bay, he threw a game-ending interception that sealed the Packers' victory.

Vikings fans booed him throughout Sunday's 18-15 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when the Vikings, despite a 160-yard rushing day by Peterson, had to settle for five field goals.

"I know there's many other plays, there's a lot of other people that have to step up," Childress said. "But then when you go back through and look at the tape, and most importantly be able to sit across from the young man and want to be able to verify what you're feeling -- it's kind of like looking in your kids' eyes and saying one [thing] and feeling another."

It's an abrupt and drastic move for a team that entered the season with sky-high expectations after spending $60 million in guaranteed money to position itself as an NFC contender.

Only two weeks in, the Vikings already are two games behind NFC North-leading Green Bay with games against Carolina, at Tennessee and at New Orleans coming up.

"We're 0-2 right now, and the key thing, probably one of the reasons Coach made the decision, was maybe because we need to get something to get us over the hump to get us a win," Frerotte said.

With a tough home game coming up against the Carolina Panthers, Childress decided to go with the strong-armed Frerotte. Frerotte, 37, is in his 15th season, and spent the past two seasons as a backup in St. Louis.

"I was very surprised," receiver Bobby Wade said. "I didn't anticipate that. Obviously it's the coach's decision and the administration's decision and we have to run with that."

Frerotte was signed in the offseason to be Jackson's backup, but now finds himself trying to turn around a team that had high expectations.

"I can't say that it was a shock, because I've been playing for a long time," Frerotte said. "I've been through a lot of shocking moments in my time, so nothing really shocks me anymore. It's obviously something Coach wanted to do."

Frerotte has been with seven teams, but this is his second tour with the Vikings, having spent 2003 and 2004 in Minnesota.

Frerotte has completed 54.2 percent of his passes during his career for 19,134 yards and a 74.3 quarterback rating. He's 37-44-1 as a starter.

"I've never been part of a team where a quarterback was benched that early on," said Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme, whose Panthers play at the Metrodome on Sunday. "But it can be a spark to a team."

Frerotte showed in training camp this year that his arm still has plenty of juice in it. Wade said the playbook may open up with a veteran in there, as opposed to a player who has had only 16 total starts.

"I think the coach was keeping it limited for a reason, obviously not to try to put too much on a young player and trying to get a guy more comfortable and more confident," Wade said. "You might see some things change this week with Gus back there."

Childress said that barring injury, Frerotte will be the quarterback for the rest of the season. However, Childress added he hasn't given up on the 25-year-old Jackson as an option for the team's long term.

"While I know he doesn't like it, I'd worry about him if he did like it," Childress said. "I know he'll make the most of it."

Said Jackson: "I could easily hold my head low, keep my head down, you know, be a cancer to the team. I'm still frustrated and mad about the situation, but I'm going to use that as motivation to try to get better and just better myself for the future."

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Might be a smart move...doesn't really matter since the ball need to be in AP's hands for them to win anyways...
Old 15 Oct 2008, 04:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.

Lions QB Jon Kitna is done for the season...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3642616
Old 15 Oct 2008, 04:34 AM   #63 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

With backup Betts injured, Redskins bring in ex-Seahawks RB Alexander

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643513
Old 28 Oct 2008, 03:27 AM   #64 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

WTF...call me sexist all if you want...but here's another reason why I think women reporters shouldn't allowed to be anywhere near a football games ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ILQbByawE

Once again...WTF...
Old 06 Nov 2008, 04:49 AM   #65 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

Daunte Culp. might gets the nod for the Lions this week...

I seriously doubt any team going to go 0-16...and strongly do not want to see that happen...but the Lions might make history...
Old 06 Nov 2008, 09:40 AM   #66 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoCan View Post
Daunte Culp. might gets the nod for the Lions this week...

I seriously doubt any team going to go 0-16...and strongly do not want to see that happen...but the Lions might make history...
I don't get what they're doing. Start Drew Stanton. Why not? The season's over, and there isn't a whole helluva lot to play for this season. You're not going to run the table and somehow sqeak into the playoffs at 8-8. Honestly, there is NO reason to start a guy who's seen three practices or whatever rediculously low ammount it is, over your "guy" for the future.

They're hurting his development, and making him look like a bust before he has even taken an NFL snap in a game that mattered. They're giving him the Darko treatment, and instead going with a guy who won't know the playbook at all, and might end up resorting to playground ball.

Damn this coaching staff. Damn it straight to hell.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 01:36 PM   #67 (permalink)
J-E-T-S

Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.
Send a message via Yahoo to Skill

How bout them Jets?

Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

Buying championships FTW~!
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:47 PM   #69 (permalink)
J-E-T-S

Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.Skill spends too much goddamn time on the interwebs.

The Dolphins are a legit threat this year. Spear, your lions are doing great as usual.

Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:51 PM   #70 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill View Post
The Dolphins are a legit threat this year.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 09:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
The Dolphins are a legit threat this year. Spear, your lions are doing great as usual.

Old 16 Nov 2008, 09:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
J-E-T-S

0-10 isn't that bad.

Old 16 Nov 2008, 11:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Quote:
0-10 isn't that bad.