ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Do you play to win the game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2008, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default Do you play to win the game?

I guess Dungy doesn't

Quote:
Titans, Colts guilty of collusion?
by From staff reports
Thursday January 03, 2008, 3:50 PM

We know Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy didn't do the Browns any favors (read: Jim Sorgi) in their game against Tennessee on Sunday night, but he may have done the Titans one, a MSNBC report suggests.
Titans quarterback Kerry Collins says Colts coaches told his team they wouldn't call a timeout to force Titans a punt at the end of the game.

Instead, Collins took a knee, sealing the Titans' victory and knocking the Browns out of the playoffs.

The story says:

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio on Thursday that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.
With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said.

The report also quotes Titans coach Jeff Fisher saying he "knew" Dungy wouldn't use the timeout because he knows him well.

Dungy is quoted on Colts.com as saying, "I have to congratulate the Titans and I think it is a feather in the cap of our division to get three teams in the playoffs."

If the allegations are true, the Browns could possibly file a grievance for collusion, which is against NFL rules.

Incidently, the Titans were a late six-point favorite heading into the game. The final score, of course, was Titans 16, Colts 10.
Honestly, the Browns put themselves in this position, but it's kind of lame for Dungy to basically hand over the game to Fisher. I'm getting kind of sick of the Titans. They had that bitch Pacman, and that dirty fuck Haynesworth stomping on peoples heads. Those bitches also took a cheap shot on Shawne after their dumbass qb knocked himself out by walking into him. Dumbass. I used to have a lot of respect for Fisher. But you start working out these deals, playing dirty and shit. The Browns should be pissed off about this.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

I wouldn't of called a Time Out either....20 seconds left, my team is already goin to the playoffs, my starters are all sittin on the bench....I don't give a fuck anymore.

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
The dynamic duo

GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.GinoCan is fat like a planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality CheCK
I wouldn't of called a Time Out either....20 seconds left, my team is already goin to the playoffs, my starters are all sittin on the bench....I don't give a fuck anymore.
I'd have to go with Kurt on this one...

The Browns basically put themselves to be in that situation...you can't expect or count on someone else to win games for you...so you can back yourself into the playoffs...that is not what it's all about...

To give the Titans some credits: I don't like the Titans as much as the next guy...and I think Vince Young is wayyy overrated...9 TDs to 17 Ints...yeah he also have 3 rushing TDs...but Peyton "Statue" Manning could give you 3 rushing TDs...But whatever it took for them to won 10 games and went 10-6 and got themselves into the playoffs...it worked...and they are in and the Browns aren't...

To give the Browns some credits: They are 10-6 and should be proud with their accomplishments for this season...I'll take a shot at this but I'm pretty sure if Indy wants to face either Titans or Browns...they would take the Titans whom they have beat over and over again...rather than the high-scoring offense of the Browns that could shock some people if they are in the playoffs...

Besides...at the end of the season there are 31 losers...and only one clearcut winner...sooner or later Titans will be joining the rest of the missed-playoffs losers...
Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC

Besides....The Brownies woulda had the Playoffs regardless of the Titans if they could have managed to beat Cinci....

if You can't beat Cinci when it counts, you don't deserve to be in the Playoffs

Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

I believe in playing for pride. Every game counts. Atleast the Cowboys can say they quit when they were down by a large amount of points. Quitting is still quitting, though. What the Colts did was blatant and ridiculous. What's wrong with playing 20 more seconds of football? Oh my god, someone might just break a nail, right? Come on. I know they're going to the playoffs. But aren't these guys professionals? When they're out there on the field, don't they want to win the game? Maybe I'm living in an alternate reality. Or maybe, just maybe, Dungy made a regrettable decision on live television, and he should be ashamed of himself for being a quitter, even if it was for only one night.

Say what you want about the Patriots, but atleast they played their week 17 game like it was their last, despite already having fifteen wins. Well, I guess you guys are gonna say that they only did it so they could be perfect, which may be true. I still believe in playing for pride, though.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

It's not just the timeout. It's the idea that Fisher went into the game knowing he was going to pick up a win. That Dungy was going to give it up. It's dirty. You look at what that faggot assed Patriots and Giants did. The Giants had nothing to play for, but they had enough pride to go out there and play to win. The Chargers played their second string, but they still had enough pride to beat the hated Raiders. You start to think about Dungy and Fisher having a little talk before the game and well, it's just another attack on the integrity of the sport. What would Dungy had done if they were winning and had 5 mins left in the game? Does he have Sorgi throw 3 incomplete passes on purpose and then punt it just to give the titans another shot? 20 secs, might not be much, but if you consider what the possibilities could be, how far was Dungy willing to go

I don't really care what the circumstances are, players or teams should never consider even the possibility of throwing a game. But maybe that's just me.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Mode
I believe in playing for pride. Every game counts. Atleast the Cowboys can say they quit when they were down by a large amount of points. Quitting is still quitting, though. What the Colts did was blatant and ridiculous. What's wrong with playing 20 more seconds of football? Oh my god, someone might just break a nail, right? Come on. I know they're going to the playoffs. But aren't these guys professionals? When they're out there on the field, don't they want to win the game? Maybe I'm living in an alternate reality. Or maybe, just maybe, Dungy made a regrettable decision on live television, and he should be ashamed of himself for being a quitter, even if it was for only one night.

Say what you want about the Patriots, but atleast they played their week 17 game like it was their last, despite already having fifteen wins. Well, I guess you guys are gonna say that they only did it so they could be perfect, which may be true. I still believe in playing for pride, though.
People like to say every game counts....but once your playoff Bye-Week is secured, the games just don't matter.

Once the Bye Week is secured, you stop taking risks, and you try to make sure everyone stays healthy for the games where those risks will actually matter.

Is it really worth it to risk an injury to a player you very well may need in the playoffs?

No....not really.

Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality CheCK
People like to say every game counts....but once your playoff Bye-Week is secured, the games just don't matter.

Once the Bye Week is secured, you stop taking risks, and you try to make sure everyone stays healthy for the games where those risks will actually matter.

Is it really worth it to risk an injury to a player you very well may need in the playoffs?

No....not really.
Yes, people do like to say that. And I'll admit, it's really easy to say that when you're not in the position of the players and the coaches. Like I've been saying, it's all about pride, though. I think if you have alot of pride as a football team and you want to win as much as possible, then injuries are a risk you should be willing to take. Also, don't forget, that playing every game like it's your last has it's advantages. First there's momentum. Who wants to go into the playoffs coming off a loss? Then there's experience. You can't emulate a real game in practice. Playing hard in your final game helps everyone. You improve and you become more familar with your teammates. The Colts had a chance to grow as a team and work together in a late-game clutch situation. But no, they decided it was too much trouble.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

There's not much for the Browns to be pissed at other than themselves. Cinci, Oakland, Arizona...all games against completely inferior teams that the Browns should've won. Games like that have to be closed out if you're going to be a playoff team. They weren't and the Browns aren't. Oh well. As seasons go, I've lived through worse.

That being said, collusion is cheating and against the rules. Certainly there's no reason for the Browns to file a greivance, but this is something the NFL should look into. It's one thing to assume, "they won't call a timeout...why would they?" It's a complete other thing to be told by the other team that a timeout will not be called.

That is bullshit, and that should be investigated.

As for the Browns though...10-6...big improvement that fans have been expecting for years...and we swept Baltimore.

I can't complain at all.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
In Loving Memory of #51

what777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famer

I'm split between the two...I agree the Browns should be mad the Colts kinda gave the game to the Titans.....but the Browns shoulda just took care of business the week before and clinched..so they really have nobody to blame but themselves
what777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
There's not much for the Browns to be pissed at other than themselves. Cinci, Oakland, Arizona...all games against completely inferior teams that the Browns should've won. Games like that have to be closed out if you're going to be a playoff team. They weren't and the Browns aren't. Oh well. As seasons go, I've lived through worse.

That being said, collusion is cheating and against the rules. Certainly there's no reason for the Browns to file a greivance, but this is something the NFL should look into. It's one thing to assume, "they won't call a timeout...why would they?" It's a complete other thing to be told by the other team that a timeout will not be called.

That is bullshit, and that should be investigated.

As for the Browns though...10-6...big improvement that fans have been expecting for years...and we swept Baltimore.

I can't complain at all.

Late.
Brownies did do much better than anyone coulda expected too.
I'll give them all the credit in the world, but I'd have been pissed the fuck off if they claimed 2 W's vs Nati.