ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

About last night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2007, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC
Default About last night...

If any of you watched that sad excuse for an NFL Monday Night Football game last night between Pittsburgh and Miami, then you probably have an opinion on the condition of the field that night.

I would like to take a second and be completely objective about this issue.

The condition that the playing surface was in at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, PA on Monday November the 26, 2007 was an absolute disgrace. A complete and utter disgrace. That wasn't a field, it was a bog. There was no type of honest footing, the players were playing at times in ankle deep water and kitty litter, it was a complete disgrace. So much so that after the game, Steve Young, a quarterback who played the bulk of his career in Candlestick Park which is one of the more atrocious fields in all of sport...Steve Young could only talk about the playing surface and its despicable condition.

Heinz Field hosted 4 high school football games on Friday, a college football game on Saturday when the weather began to become inclement, and then hosted the Steelers on Monday night. The grounds crew laid a new level of turf on top of the original field and went over the parts that had become small ponds due to rain, with kitty litter. Kitty litter of course soaks up moisture and filth, but who wants to play on that? The result was a field that had no drainage whatsoever, that players' feet sank into and was not suitable for hard running.

I understand that today there is a bit of a debate between people who think that the field shouldn't factor into how winnable the game is or isn't, and I respect that. You've got to win the game, despite the conditions.

But this isn't about that. This is about the National Football League, its legacy, its players, and its fans. The fans deserved to see a real football game. They didn't get that. They got two offenses that couldn't overcome the bog that they were playing in for the first 59 minutes and 40 seconds of the game. I'm sorry, but this isn't soccer. Taking a 0-0 tie into the last seconds of the game is not acceptable. It is not what fans want to see, it is not what they paid for. It is not what the advertisers on television paid for, it is not what ESPN and it's parent company Disney, Inc paid for to get the Monday Night package, and it is not what America sat down on their couches to see.

I don't think the Steelers organization should be fined for this, and I certainly am not suggesting that the Steelers lose a draft pick or the field be blown up, like many Browns fans are. But the condition of fields has to be addressed in the NFL winter meetings, and standards need to be set. It's a miracle that there weren't more severe injuries last night. Certainly weather is a factor in games and an advantage to northeastern teams in particular, but that field was just deplorable. The teams would have been better served playing on a local Pop Warner dirt track.

Irrigation systems, drainage systems, runoff sensors...all these things need to be looked into. Fields need to be able to drain properly and a second layer of sod should NEVER be applied again. I can't emphasize enough how lucky both teams are that there wasn't one or more popped Achilles Tendons last night.

This kind of thing puts the players at risk and really takes away from the excitement of the game. You can't tell me that if they ran on the field as it was without the extra layer of sod, that the outcome wouldn't have been different. It might not have been pretty and the lines and logos would probably look all fucked up, but the game would've been played as it's meant to be.

Sloppy weather is one thing, but this was a result of human error and has to be corrected.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

I agree. The game was awful and it can't be blamed on either team. The NFL should not have let this game go on for the safety of the players, the entertainment of the fans, and basically just for the National Football League. We got Ricky for eight plays and now he's gone for the season again. They took him away from us for another year and probably forever.

I like to think that Miami really isn't that bad of a team despite our 0-11. I think six of our eleven losses have been by three points or less which means we're not necessarily a terrible team, just a team that can't win, which may actually just make us a bad team. I think we had a chance against Pittsburgh. I'm not trying to make excuses by any means but the condition of the field definitely ruined that for us.

I will admit though, it was kind of fun watching that game with no lines and the players running in ankle-high mud. But that's not how a regular season game should be. Maybe some type of exhibiton but not a real game. The NFL fucked up big time letting that game go on.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Ricky Williams injury wasn't due to the field conditions...the Steelers player fucking STOMPED on him. It looked pretty fuckin' blatant to me.

But yeah, that field was horrible.

I LOVE games played in nasty weather and nasty fields, but nasty because they get tore up because of the play, not because its the fifth game played and sod had to be reapplied on top of the regular sod

Oh and here's a gif of the play...

STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

That was Lawrence Timmons..Reppin FSU with the stomp. Word.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

The highlight of that game was when the punt just stopped dead in it's tracks in the swamp. That, was hilarious, but clear evidence about the dispicable condition of the field.

That field would be great for a local pickup game with the guys. Not for an NFL game.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK
Ricky Williams injury wasn't due to the field conditions...the Steelers player fucking STOMPED on him. It looked pretty fuckin' blatant to me.

But yeah, that field was horrible.

I LOVE games played in nasty weather and nasty fields, but nasty because they get tore up because of the play, not because its the fifth game played and sod had to be reapplied on top of the regular sod

Oh and here's a gif of the play...

I don't know. The more I watch it, the more I think that it was an accident. Looks like he just lost his footing. If it was intentional then it's no surprise that it's a player from a school that had no class to begin with.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.

It's just sad that The Steelers could only score 3 points against Miami.
BOSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2007, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I don't know. The more I watch it, the more I think that it was an accident. Looks like he just lost his footing. If it was intentional then it's no surprise that it's a player from a school that had no class to begin with.
The more I look at it, the more it looks like he did it on purpose.

Ricky Williams was the closest to the ball after he fumbled it, it was right in front of him, and it appears Williams is about to reach out and try to pull it back in, and then that guy stomps on him, and he recovers it himself.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 12:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
It was absolutely intentional...the tape don't lie...he's the pass rusher on the bottom of the screen.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQ13Sy52bQE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQ13Sy52bQE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Timmons head didn't even turn to the ball until after the stomp. As soon as that foot is planted his head turns and then he goes for the ball.

He didn't have to jump over anyone.
He didn't have to extend his leg like that.

It was intentional...and it was blatant. Even Terrell Davis and Jamie Dukes said that they feel that it was an intentional move by Timmons.

He should definitely get a fine...IMO a suspension would be in order too but I doubt it happens.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote