ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Beckham in the states, hype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2007, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dev
KOBASHI KOBASHI KOBASHI!!

Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!
Default Beckham in the states, hype?

So Becks has been state side for about a month now and has scored his first goal and got a yellow card so now that it appears he may actually play this season what are your opinions of the English stars attempt at bring the footie love to the US?

It really can't be denied that his initial impact has been pretty astounding. At many of the nations top sporting goods stores his jersey is the top selling item, attendance numbers at many of the venues at which he was due to appear, not play, just sit on the sidelines seen increases of 10,000 - 30,000 attendees, but I don't think it will last, one David Beckham does not an MLS make, the quality of soccer is still very lacking and many of the US stars head to Europe to play because the level of competition is so much greater there.

All this reminds me of the NASL. The North American Soccer League (NASL) enjoyed a period of wild success in the United States, especially at the time when major international superstars such as Pelé of Brasil and Franz Beckenbauer of Germany played for the New York Cosmos. Yet the league died a fitful death in what seemed to be an abrupt fashion.

I don't think that Becks can take the MLS from its joke status world wide to being equated to the EPL or La Liga.

I hope, being one of the few soccer fans here at PWF that resides in the US that the MLS is not NASL 2.0.

Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I think Beckham cemented a lot of people's dislike for soccer for what they see it as...a bunch of flopping primadonnas. He hadn't played soccer for more than a month on a sore ankle so he kept sitting out. NFL players are seen as heroic because they play through pain...probably worse pain than what he was "suffering" through. Then in his debut at the end of the first game, he flopped so hard and was acting like he just lost his leg. Suck it up and play you pussy.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dev

Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!Dev , Lightspeed to Endor!

I gotta agree with ya Stick, Becks did not help the "primadonna" cloud that surrounds the game here in the states, this is why I posted a thread like this here, I know there are many vocal opponents to the game and wanted to get a non soccer biased opinion.

Beckham in the wold of soccer is either considered a god or an over hyped pop star. Pele even stated ,"He is more of a pop star than a player these days, I know the level of play in that league, it is very evenly balanced and the fans will demand a lot from a star like him, he can stroll through Hollywood on his days off and when he has no training."."

Old 16 Aug 2007, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

There are two threads dedicated to soccer and that is too many.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quite honestly I think Beckham is more or less a novelty. One of those good stories about the person, but won't really bring any more attention to the sport, at least not for very long. Just look what happened to the Cosmos.

I also think American soccer has problems. For instance, it's boring as hell. Euro soccer is a lot more entertaining, as well as the world cup. If the MLS could maybe up the pace a little bit and make it so it's not such a snore fest, then maybe it'll catch on.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
Quite honestly I think Beckham is more or less a novelty. One of those good stories about the person, but won't really bring any more attention to the sport, at least not for very long. Just look what happened to the Cosmos.

I also think American soccer has problems. For instance, it's boring as hell. Euro soccer is a lot more entertaining, as well as the world cup. If the MLS could maybe up the pace a little bit and make it so it's not such a snore fest, then maybe it'll catch on.
MLS will never pick up the pace, if you look at England teams, even Mexican teams they all have Chemistry, they all play to win. Where in the US you have Landon Donovan wanting it all to be about him, You have Eddie Johnson wanting it to be about him, Freddy Adu, etc..... In England you could have Roberto Carlos wide open for a goal facing the keeper, and pass it to the right to Ronaldo because he would have a wide open goal, but Donovan would have tried to rail the ball threw the keeper.

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2007, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Fox_
MLS will never pick up the pace, if you look at England teams, even Mexican teams they all have Chemistry, they all play to win. Where in the US you have Landon Donovan wanting it all to be about him, You have Eddie Johnson wanting it to be about him, Freddy Adu, etc..... In England you could have Roberto Carlos wide open for a goal facing the keeper, and pass it to the right to Ronaldo because he would have a wide open goal, but Donovan would have tried to rail the ball threw the keeper.
Yeah. Yet another reason why the MLS blows.

I'm actually hoping this new coach of the US team will start to dissolve that attitude come the next world cup and whatnot.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
There are two threads dedicated to soccer and that is too many.

...and more on the way. You can have football......so can I.

To address Spears point, I really hope that Bob Bradley brings that "killer instinct" to the USMNT. The US was due to play Mexico in Mexico City at the Azteca Stadium and but the match was canceled due to TV agreements not being reached (some say the US did not want to play Mexico on Mexican soil and spoil their winning streak over Mexico on US soil). So instead the US will take on Brazil Sept. 7 at Soldier Field .

I hope that we see a straight up USMNT not the C squad that was sent to the Copa America, that Brazil won while missing Ronaldinho and Kaka. Should be and interesting match.

Last edited by Dev; 16 Aug 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Dade Send a message via MSN to Dade

His wife has nice fakeys.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

No player, domestic or foriegn will have this, or any country loving this, or any sport overnight. American football didn't catch on (called "barbaric" by many), basketball did not (a major cause being that it was not intended to be more than a way of passing time and not a major competitve thing), and hockey didn't. Baseball is the exception and let's face it, the Union soldiers really didn't have much else to do.

This being said, I now view the LA Galaxy as the heels of MLS. I now support anybody against them because of this overhyped player.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

Is Beckham a team or something?

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Naylor
Is Beckham a team or something?
No David Beckham is a player, he is married Victoria Beckham a.k.a. Posh Spice from the spice girls. Beckham is a great England player in his prime but is now on the back burner.

This is his most famous Goal
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzMClQ_vZ5c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzMClQ_vZ5c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2007, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC

thanks for the explaination....

Tho I'll pass on the video....its soccer and soccer is not worth my time

Old 18 Aug 2007, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dev

Bottom line, most popular sport in the world.

Old 18 Aug 2007, 07:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

^Just not in the States....and we kick every other country's ass