ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Gaines Adams signed...Simeon cut...Plummer still retired.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2007, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC
Default Gaines Adams signed...Simeon cut...Plummer still retired.

Quote:
Bucs release Simeon Rice. Adams reports to training camp; Plummer not joining him
By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer
AP - Jul 26, 3:29 pm EDT

CELEBRATION, Fla. (AP) -- Simeon Rice's run with Tampa Bay as one of the NFL's most prolific pass rushers is over.

The Buccaneers released the 12th-year pro, whose 121 career sacks rank second among active players behind Michael Strahan, on Thursday night, only hours after signing his replacement -- first-round draft pick Gaines Adams -- to a six-year, $46 million contract.

General manager Bruce Allen said Rice, who missed much of last season with a shoulder injury, failed a physical when he reported to camp earlier in the day.

"He needs more time to recover" Allen said of Rice, who was scheduled to earn $7.25 million in the final season of a five-year, $41 million contract extension he signed after helping the Bucs win the Super Bowl in 2002.

"We felt now was the time to make the move," said Allen, who insisted it had nothing to do with Rice's salary or the fact that Adams was drafted fourth overall with an eye on eventually replacing the 33-year-old Rice. "You let it drag on for weeks, it might not be fair to him."

Rice started the first eight games of 2006, then spent most of the second half of the season on injured reserve. He finished with a career-low two sacks, ending a streak of five consecutive seasons with at least 11.

His 56.5 sacks from 2002-05 were the most in the NFL during that stretch.

Allen said Rice is confident the injury will heal and he will be able to play for another team this season.

"I don't think there's any doubt he'll get better in time," Allen said. "I don't think the last chapter of Simeon Rice's NFL career has been written."

Adams became the highest pick in this year's draft to sign a contract. The 6-foot-5, 258-pound defensive end was the fourth selection behind Oakland's JaMarcus Russell, Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Cleveland's Joe Thomas. The Bucs are counting on him to help revitalize their pass rush.

One guy the team isn't relying on right now is Jake Plummer, acquired from Denver in an offseason trade even though the quarterback has said he's retired. Coach Jon Gruden met with him in Idaho this summer but was not able to persuade Plummer to change his mind and report to camp.

"It was a 'get to know each other' meeting ... a meeting where we took a particular interest in Jake Plummer, his future and what lies ahead down the road," Gruden said.

"We wanted him to know what our feelings were. We wanted to see what his feeling were. Obviously, you see where he's pointed at this time, although men have changed their minds in the past."

Allen said Plummer would be placed on the reserve, did not report list.
Damn. Simeon Rice is an unrestricted Free Agent. Too bad he's a primadonna, otherwise teams might be competing to sign him.

Now maybe the Browns can make some f'n progress toward signing Joe Thomas and Eric Wright...oh and B Quinn, too.

Oh yeah, and the Lions and Raiders can inch toward signing their big ticket draftees.

Discuss.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Loving Memory of #51

what777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famer

I'm happy to see Gaines Adams finally get a deal done...and he gets to start as a rookie too.
what777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

What, in the FUCK is Tampa thinking? I know they have Gains Adams, but they're willing to let go of Simeon Rice before Adams has even stepped foot on an NFL field?

Damn.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
What, in the FUCK is Tampa thinking? I know they have Gains Adams, but they're willing to let go of Simeon Rice before Adams has even stepped foot on an NFL field?

Damn.
Seeing as TB isn't going to do anything this season, whats the point of paying Rice 7.5 million when he's hurt anyways?
Old 28 Jul 2007, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Seeing as TB isn't going to do anything this season, whats the point of paying Rice 7.5 million when he's hurt anyways?

Gotta love this guy.....

Anyways, these fuckin draft picks holdin out is pissin me off.
They're fuckin rookies....they're making MILLIONS of dollars to play a game.
They wanna hold out cuz they want MILLIONS more?

Fuck them....

Fuckin assmonkeys need to take a moment and realize how good they actually have it.

The vast majority of football fans, I'm sure, wouldn't mind taking about a quarter of the salary these guys make.

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2007, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK

Gotta love this guy.....

Fuck them....

Fuckin assmonkeys need to take a moment and realize how good they actually have it.

The vast majority of football fans, I'm sure, wouldn't mind taking about a quarter of the salary these guys make.
What? You actually think Tampa is going to contend?

And no, they're not getting payed millions just to play a game. Sports is a business. And if I was them i'd want every penny I should be earning too.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC

Quote:
What? You actually think Tampa is going to contend?

And no, they're not getting payed millions just to play a game. Sports is a business. And if I was them i'd want every penny I should be earning too.
No....I just love that you don't pull punches....

No bro, its a game.
They play a game.

The office guys should be concerned about the business aspect not the players.

Old 28 Jul 2007, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Anyone who has ever had the unpleasant experience of watching Earl Campbell try to get out of bed in the morning would most likely agree that NFL players should get every dime they can while they are physically able to have the priviledge of playing The Greatest Game Ever on The Greatest Stage Ever.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
Anyone who has ever had the unpleasant experience of watching Earl Campbell try to get out of bed in the morning would most likely agree that NFL players should get every dime they can while they are physically able to have the priviledge of playing The Greatest Game Ever on The Greatest Stage Ever.

Late.
what the fuck does a man need a 9 year 130million dollar contract for to play a goddam game?
Why does anyone need 15 million a year to play a game??

I love football, but goddam....cut those salaries in half

Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
In Loving Memory of #51

what777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famerwhat777 is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK

Gotta love this guy.....

Fuck them....

While I agree with u, I'll also point out that alot of it has to do with agents. The agents want a piece of the pie too, so they're the main one's who try to jack up the saleries and make their clients hold out.
what777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2007, 02:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
what the fuck does a man need a 9 year 130million dollar contract for to play a goddam game?
Why does anyone need 15 million a year to play a game??

I love football, but goddam....cut those salaries in half
If my company is making billions and billions of dollars I want alot of money too.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:
If my company is making billions and billions of dollars I want alot of money too.
You know what...You can go work for McDonalds....they're makin BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars....

bet ya don't get more than 8 bucks

Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
You know what...You can go work for McDonalds....they're makin BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars....

But they're not charging people $80 to enter.

They're not hanging your jersey in window with a price tag of $100.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

Quote:

and if they players weren't making millions upon millions of dollars to play a game, they wouldn;t be charging you 80 bucks to get into a game...you wouldn't be paying 100 bucks for a jersey.

You pay those insane prices because the players make so much.

Old 29 Jul 2007, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK

You two are so cute...

But seriously, people don't spend $34 - $300 on a regular season NFL ticket (most stadiums hold at least 60,000 people as well who need to eat and drink and buy souveniers, too) to watch NFL Players flip burgers while they hit the drive thru.

The NFL generates billions of dollars because people want to watch...wait for it...THE PLAYERS.

The players aren't interchangable, either. If it turns out a team drafted a dud quarterback (like David Klingler, maybe?) then they can't just put a "Help Wanted" sign on the door and replace that guy with someone who'll be more productive. It was what...eleven years between the drafting of Klingler and the drafting of Palmer, was it??

And at the same time, McDonald's burger flippers aren't exactly getting chased down by 6'5" 300 lb linebackers every Sunday either.

NFL Players for the most part deserve and earn every nickel they're paid. Add to that the fact that out of the millions of people who played football as a kid and had dreams to play in the NFL, there's only a few thousand who can.

It's about the bottom line. Burger flippers come and go, and most are worthless lazy fucks who don't deserve 5 out of every 8 dollars they get paid.

The two aren't the same. Not even close to being a world apart, even.

Get that money, Bungles draftees...even if you have to sit out and get re drafted next year...get that money...

Late.