ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Fighting and the NHL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear
Default Fighting and the NHL

Lets face it. Fighting is one of the big reasons people love hockey. Sure they goals are great. The sick passes are great, and it's always awsome to see someone deke the hell out of some stupid defender, but nothing, nothing, beats two guys beating the hell out of each other.

However, lately when I've been watching the NHL, there havn't really been any fights. Sure, there are guys willing to fight, but it seems as though the refs are breaking it up as soon as it starts.

When I went to games in Detroit and Grand Rapids, the general rule seemed to be, if two guys started punching each other...let them go until someone falls down, then get in there and put them in the box. I came to South Florida, and was pissed to see every fight that would start to happen, get broken up as soon as two guys even thought about hitting each other. I thought it was just the stupid ass Panther refs, until I watched a game last night from Toronto.

A Panther, can't remember who, and a Leaf, can't remember who, started to fight. I was sitting there going, "alright I'll get to see some blood!". The only problem is, as soon as they dropped the gloves, the refs were right there breaking it up.

So my question is, is this some new thing with the NHL. Lower the fights? Won't that push away many viewers who want to see two guys duke it out on the ice? I say boo. Let them go refs!
Old 20 Dec 2006, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
the true heir to hogwarts

Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Boystar , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

I'm on the fence when it comes to fighting. I think it does add something to the sport, but it's never really neccessary, and it can be argued that fighting is immature.

Fighting has become a lost art in hockey, and that doesn't really bother me. I take pride in being a true hockey fan who watches for the right reasons.

Look at the way scoring has went up. Nowadays, there's more emphasis on skill, and less on roughness. That's what I'd rather watch, talented hockey players, instead of thugs wearing skates. Regardless, hockey will always be a tough sport, which is a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with two guys dropping the gloves and beating the fuck out of eachother, but if that's the main reason why viewers tune in, then I'd rather not have hockey as a popular sport. I'd hate for the old saying "a fight was going on and a hockey game broke out" to become a reality.
Boystar is offline   Reply With Quote