ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

The first new manager in 2006 will be...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2005, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default The first new manager in 2006 will be...

Tigers name Leyland manager

Tigers name Leyland manager
10/04/2005 5:41 PM ET
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers introduced Jim Leyland as their new manager at a press conference Tuesday, ending one of the quickest courtships in recent memory.

Leyland returns to the dugout for his fourth managerial job after six years of observing the game as a scout. He is now reunited with president/general manager Dave Dombrowski, bringing together the duo that won a world championship with the 1997 Florida Marlins.

Leyland, 60, last managed in 1999 with the Colorado Rockies, who finished 70-92 in his only season at the helm. He spent his first 11 years of managing with the Pittsburgh Pirates, who won three consecutive NL East titles under his leadership from 1990-92. It was there that Leyland honed his no-nonsense reputation for handling superstar players, including Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla.

After four consecutive struggling seasons with the Pirates of the post-Bonds era, Leyland left for Florida, where Dombrowski hired him to hold together a Marlins squad built on big-name free agents and trade acquisitions. The Marlins became the first Wild Card team to win the World Series, earning Leyland his long-sought championship after close finishes in Pittsburgh.

He never got a real chance to repeat. The Marlins underwent a roster dismantling after the season, leaving Leyland to manage a few leftover veterans along with a slew of youngsters to a 54-108 follow-up season in 1998. He left Florida for Colorado before taking a step back.

Leyland remained on the periphery of the managerial picture for several years before interviewing for an opening last year with the Philadelphia Phillies, who had all but decided on Charlie Manuel at the time. Leyland's name resurfaced in a major way this summer, when he told reporters he had the passion to manage again. He also said he wanted to manage a team close to home and close to contending.

That team ended up being the Tigers, with whom Leyland began both his playing and managerial careers in the Minor Leagues. Though he lives in Pittsburgh, he grew up just about an hour away from Detroit in Perrysburg, Ohio.

Leyland's hiring came little more than 24 hours after the position officially opened. The club dismissed Alan Trammell on Monday morning after three years at the helm and a 186-300 record, including 71-91 this year. Almost immediately, Dombrowski called Leyland, who drove to Detroit on Monday morning and met at length with Dombrowski on Monday night. Though Leyland said Monday he had questions about the club, he also admitted he had long wanted to manage the Tigers and would accept the job if offered.

The challenge of the job will involve two challenges. If Leyland can unite a clubhouse that was fractured at times by losing and players' personal problems, he can move on toward ending Detroit's streak of 12 consecutive losing seasons, the last five of them with at least 90 losses.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp...4/c1237407.jsp
Old 04 Oct 2005, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

The last manager to do something with the Pirates.

At least he has talent up there.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote