ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Kyle Orton starting QB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2005, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Kyle Orton starting QB

ears name rookie Orton starting QB; Hutchinson shoved out

Aug. 28, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Rookie Kyle Orton was in the weight room when he was summoned to coach Lovie Smith's office and given the news he expected to hear: He's the Chicago Bears' starting quarterback.

"I was happy. I wasn't surprised, kind of thought it was going to happen," Orton said Sunday when the Bears made yet another change.

"I obviously know the recent history, so I know the city and all the fans want a talented quarterback who's going to go out there and play well and win a lot of football games and hopefully I'm that guy," Orton added, showing his confidence.

"I think I will be."

While Orton was promoted due to a strong performance in Friday's 16-12 exhibition win over Buffalo, struggling Chad Hutchinson was demoted all the way down the depth chart.

"As of now he's not in the rotation. We want to take a look at the other guys ," Smith said, announcing that recently signed veteran Jeff Blake is now Orton's backup and Kurt Kittner is No. 3.

"We've seen him (Hutchinson) all through training camp so we really want to get a look at the other guys," Smith added.

Orton led an 81-yard scoring drive by completing 7-of-9 passes against Buffalo's second-team defense, while Hutchinson was 3-for-14 passing with two interceptions and three sacks in a half of play against the Bills' first team. It was Hutchinson's second straight shaky outing since replacing the injured Rex Grossman, who broke his ankle Aug. 12 against the Rams.

The Bears end their preseason schedule Thursday at home against Cleveland and open the regular season Sept. 11 at Washington.

Orton, who played at Purdue, was a fourth-round draft pick. He slipped in the draft after he was slowed by a hip injury in his senior season.

Now he's a starter on a huge stage. In the preseason, he's completed 27 of 42 passes for 409 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions, mostly against backups.

"It's been a crazy couple months since the draft and all the way from sliding in the draft and now starting opening week," Orton said. "It's been lot of ups and downs. ..."

Orton said he learned watching former Purdue teammate Drew Brees, now with the Chargers. He's also aware of the success another rookie quarterback, the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger, has experienced. But he also added he's his own quarterback.

"I'm not going to try to go out there and be an MVP quarterback. I'm going to try to go out there and make plays when they're there and hang on to the football and put our team in position to win," he said.

"I'm not scared at all about being a rookie quarterback. I think I'm right where I need to be."

Hutchinson, a former major league baseball pitcher with the Cardinals, started five games for the Bears last season after Grossman's season ended in Game 3 with a torn knee ligament. He moved ahead of backups Jonathan Quinn and Craig Krenzel after they had their chances to start.

Hutchinson ran off the practice field Sunday and did not comment.

"He told me to be comfortable with it. I think he's happy for me," Orton said of Hutchinson.

Orton would be the fifth starting quarterback used by Smith, who is in his second season. Chicago was 5-11 a year ago.

"You change any position on the field that much, it will disrupt and then you talk about the most important position on the field," center Olin Kreutz said. "We've chosen our guys and tried to stick with them and there have been freak injuries and stuff like that. Hopefully Kyle is our guy."

New receiver Muhsin Muhammmad, who'd figured to be Grossman's favorite target and then perhaps Hutchinson's, will now have to catch balls from a rookie.

"We're going to have to make some tough catches. We're going to have to do some things out of the ordinary," Muhammad said.

"But I think he's a kid who can get it done. He's got a lot of savvy, got a lot of of poise - almost borderline cocky. But in order to play this game, you got to have a little bit of that. I think he has enough of it, but is still a humble kid."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://cbs.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/8780937
Old 28 Aug 2005, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Never Better

Troy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICK
Send a message via AIM to Troy Send a message via MSN to Troy

Looked alright when I saw a preseason Bears' game. Shame Grossman had to go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morrison on ECW, after CM Punk crashes into the announce table
.....I'd say he'd have to pay for that, but I don't think he can afford it.

Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2005, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Grossman seems to be injury prone. How long is he out for?
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Never Better

Troy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICKTroy is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Grossman seems to be injury prone. How long is he out for?
Expected 3-4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morrison on ECW, after CM Punk crashes into the announce table

Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

Idk I wish orton the best of luck but I dont think he is honestly gonna do well coming right in.

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Never Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sexay
Idk I wish orton the best of luck but I dont think he is honestly gonna do well coming right in.
I feel the NFC North is a toss-up anyway.

Quote:

Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonafidE
I feel the NFC North is a toss-up anyway.
Sad to say its going to teh vikings by a long shot. Damn packers and there bad everything but special teams.

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

Well i was kinda hoping Dallas would draft him sometime in the draft unfortunately we missed out there. Now he is going to start for the Bears. Good luck to him.

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quote:
Sad to say its going to teh vikings by a long shot. Damn packers and there bad everything but special teams.
What the fuck are you talking about? The Vikings were only a what, 10 win team last year? And that's with both Moss and Culpepper. This year Moss is gone, and I don't care how great, this new guy is, he wont be Moss for at least a year or two. When on the other hand, you have what is still a respectable Packers team, an expected .500 Lions team, and what looks to be a strong Bears team. Don't buy into the Viking Hype just yet.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
What the fuck are you talking about? The Vikings were only a what, 10 win team last year? And that's with both Moss and Culpepper. This year Moss is gone, and I don't care how great, this new guy is, he wont be Moss for at least a year or two. When on the other hand, you have what is still a respectable Packers team, an expected .500 Lions team, and what looks to be a strong Bears team. Don't buy into the Viking Hype just yet.
If the Defense puts it together which on paper they should. They have a top ten defence where last year they didnt.

On offence what they lost in Moss they gained in Williamson, Burleson and Robinson all stepping up. If you look back to last year Culpepper through some VERY respectable numbers while Moss was out injured. That offence can still function very well. Given the Defence and Green Bay's continued fallback into the pack... Detroit and Harrington not living up to the billing and Chicago again having to start another Quarterback in week one. Minnesota will STEAMROLL through the North. At the least they should have the fourth best record in the NFC... at the least.

Old 29 Aug 2005, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
CK
Spin Doctor

CK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DCCK You want to be like DC
Send a message via AIM to CK

Quote:
Favre, Walker, and Driver are not bad at all

CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Never Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird
Favre, Walker, and Driver are not bad at all
and Ahman Green. One of the best backs in the league.

Quote:

Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane
If the Defense puts it together which on paper they should. They have a top ten defence where last year they didnt.

On offence what they lost in Moss they gained in Williamson, Burleson and Robinson all stepping up. If you look back to last year Culpepper through some VERY respectable numbers while Moss was out injured. That offence can still function very well. Given the Defence and Green Bay's continued fallback into the pack... Detroit and Harrington not living up to the billing and Chicago again having to start another Quarterback in week one. Minnesota will STEAMROLL through the North. At the least they should have the fourth best record in the NFC... at the least.
I'm not saying the Vikings are good, I'm just saying it's too early to say who will be good, and who will be bad. We should get a better look at the Lions tonight. I've heard they're starters are going to play for 3 quarters.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
I'm not saying the Vikings are good, I'm just saying it's too early to say who will be good, and who will be bad. We should get a better look at the Lions tonight. I've heard they're starters are going to play for 3 quarters.
Your boy Harrington sucks... What is he doing? How do you not throw a pass to Mike Williams or Charles Rogers.

Old 29 Aug 2005, 08:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane
Your boy Harrington sucks... What is he doing? How do you not throw a pass to Mike Williams or Charles Rogers.
It's our offensive line.

Plus Harrington is really having a brain-fart right now.