ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Abdur-Rahim a King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2005, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Abdur-Rahim a King

Spurned by Nets, Shareef signs with Sacramento

Aug. 12, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- When the New Jersey Nets decided they didn't want Shareef Abdur-Rahim, the Sacramento Kings eagerly grabbed him.

The Kings signed Abdur-Rahim to a multiyear contract Friday, three days after the Nets rescinded a trade with the Portland Trail Blazers because of medical concerns about the nine-year veteran's right knee.

The Kings, who bid for the free agent's services earlier in the summer, wasted no time reasserting their interest. They quickly closed a deal, locking up a 28-year-old power forward who has racked up impressive statistics and made plenty of money, but never reached the playoffs.

"The biggest thing for me was trying to get on a team that had a chance to win and win big," Abdur-Rahim said. "That's what I want to try and do for the rest of my career. The guys that are already here are accustomed to winning and competing at a high level. I'm looking forward to coming in and being a part of it. It's a nice fit for me here."

Abdur-Rahim, who made more than $14 million last season in Portland, took a pay cut to join the Kings, who have made the postseason seven straight times and won 50 games in five straight seasons. Because the Kings already are over the salary cap, he is expected to be paid the NBA's midlevel exception, worth about $5 million next season.

Abdur-Rahim has averaged 19.9 points and 8.1 rebounds in a career with Vancouver, Atlanta and Portland, but he doesn't want to go down in league history as the archetypal good player on bad teams. His playoff drought seems likely to end with the Kings, who added him to a starting lineup that now could be one of the NBA's strongest.

But until early this week, he thought he would be playing alongside Jason Kidd and Vince Carter in New Jersey.

"The only thing I can tell you is that I'm healthy," Abdur-Rahim said. "I guess (the Nets) did their physical and found something that made them uncomfortable. I've never missed games or practices because of my knees, so like I said, their concerns came out of the blue to me."

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, moved swiftly to complete the latest move in his yearlong makeover of the franchise, which has parted ways with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie, Cuttino Mobley and Bobby Jackson since last summer. With Abdur-Rahim in town, Maurice Evans and Darius Songaila now are likely to leave as free agents.

Petrie said the Kings' medical staff shares none of the Nets' concerns about Abdur-Rahim's knees. Abdur-Rahim missed 22 games last season with an elbow injury - the first time he missed more than five games in an NBA season.

"We think he'll improve our team in areas where we wanted to get better and give us dimensions on the (low) block," Petrie said. "He has not only been a high-caliber player, but also a high-caliber citizen."

Sacramento acquired high-scoring guard Bonzi Wells in a trade with Memphis last week, and the Kings picked up guard Francisco Garcia in the draft. Abdur-Rahim joins a projected starting lineup with Wells, Mike Bibby -- Abdur-Rahim's former teammate in Vancouver -- Peja Stojakovic and Brad Miller, along with Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson, Brian Skinner and new signees Jason Hart and Jamal Sampson on the bench.

"I think we've been able to add pieces that are going to fit together well," coach Rick Adelman said. "The challenge this team has is that so many new players have to come together quickly. In talking with Shareef and the other players we have, we're all about trying to win as a team. I'm excited this worked out."

While Abdur-Rahim visited his list of potential new teams in recent weeks, he said the Kings were among his top two choices. His wife is from the San Francisco Bay area, about 90 miles west, and he played one collegiate season at California.

"Since college, I've always like this area," Abdur-Rahim said. "I spent two or three years after college here in the offseason, so if I have a second home other than Atlanta, it would be here."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
================================================== ========

He's 20-10 a night when healthy.