ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Marquette's new name

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2005, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Marquette's new name

Students protest Gold nickname
Posted: Friday May 6, 2005 4:17PM; Updated: Friday May 6, 2005 5:00PM

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- About 100 Marquette University students protested the school's new nickname "Gold" in the rain Friday, chanting slogans, waving banners and buying shirts with the old name Warriors on them.

The protest came two days after the board of trustees unanimously voted to change the name from the Golden Eagles, rejecting a push started by alumni to restore the name Warriors.

The president of the Jesuit college, the Rev. Robert Wild, waded into the throng to make a statement, then took up a megaphone in the face of catcalls.

"Can you hear me all right?" he asked.

"Can you hear us?" yelled 22-year-old marketing student Dan Zuzanski.

"No to Gold!" the students then chanted.

The surprise decision came after a nearly yearlong debate focused on a possible return to the name Warriors, the school's nickname when its men's basketball team won the NCAA championship in 1977 under legendary coach Al McGuire. The protesting students gathered outside the center dedicated to him.

The school became the Warriors in 1954 but abandoned the name and logo, one of which featured a profile of an American Indian wearing a headdress, in 1993 because the imagery and a past mascot had offended some Indian groups.

The nickname debate was sparked last May when two trustees offered the school $1 million each to restore the Warriors name.

Wild told the students the new name embodied the school's tradition of excellence and its colors, blue and gold.

"The notion that we are gold is what we've been -- what all of you have been as strong fans and people who wear the color gold," Wild said.

Dan Maciejewski, 19, co-chairman of the disbanded group Students for Warriors, said the decision smacked of a more rigid tradition.

"It's continuing a long tradition of Jesuit arrogance in not listening," he said. "This name was forced on us, just as the Golden Eagles was in 1994."

An online survey filled out by some 9,000 alumni, faculty, staff and students in November did not offer the Gold as a choice.

"They made it seem like they were going to change the name back," said Jason Tracey, a 25-year-old electrical engineering student. "There were two options, Golden Eagles or Warriors. All of a sudden it was just Gold."

The name change will take place when Marquette, which has 11,500 students, leaves Conference USA and joins the tougher Big East Conference on July 1.

The university will ask students, alumni and staff for their opinion on developing a mascot, which it expects to announce at the start of the new school year this fall.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ettenicknam.ap
================================================== =============

The name change to gold makes as much sense as Syracuse becoming the Orange. I liked it better when they were the Warriors.
Old 07 May 2005, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

I was listening to that on the radio and i remember hearing some girl call up and just bitch on the radio about being called the Gold.

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2005, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

That name is NOT very popular among anyone from Wisconsin that I talked to.
Old 08 May 2005, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm
The name change to gold makes as much sense as Syracuse becoming the Orange. I liked it better when they were the Warriors.
That Syracuse name change is one of the most sinister things I've ever witnessed in basketball. I'm a long time fan of Jim Boeheim and his Orangemen, and I absolutely refuse to call them the "Orange". For Christ's sake, they took the word "Men" off of their team name. I'm surprised they didn't change it to the "Syracuse Pussies". Even if they changed it to something better than Orangemen (which isn't possible BTW), I'd still be pissed off. They're a great school with a great basketball team... don't they respect their history as the Orangemen?
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2005, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Faggot
That Syracuse name change is one of the most sinister things I've ever witnessed in basketball. I'm a long time fan of Jim Boeheim and his Orangemen, and I absolutely refuse to call them the "Orange". For Christ's sake, they took the word "Men" off of their team name. I'm surprised they didn't change it to the "Syracuse Pussies". Even if they changed it to something better than Orangemen (which isn't possible BTW), I'd still be pissed off. They're a great school with a great basketball team... don't they respect their history as the Orangemen?

From what I understand, the name Orange is "gender neutral" as opposed to Orangemen(women). It's PC run amok.

I too, still refer to them as the Orangemen.
Old 08 May 2005, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Syracuse also said it was because they're the only Division 1 school who's primary color is orange. Seriously, that is so much bullshit, it ain't even funny.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote