ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Flutie to Pats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Flutie to Pats

riday, April 29, 2005
Veteran QB appeared ready to catch on with Giants
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Suddenly in demand after almost two months of pondering his professional future, Doug Flutie is back in the NFL again. But not with the team that appeared likely to sign him only a day ago.

Noted as much for his elusiveness as for his passing prowess, Flutie used the former of those skills Friday, seemingly scrambling out of the clutches of the New York Giants and instead landing with the New England Patriots. A native of Natick, Mass., and the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner at Boston College, the 11-year veteran quarterback signed a one-year contract with the two-time defending Super Bowl champions.

"I know that Doug is really happy to be home again and be at home with his family," Flutie's agent, Kristen Kuliga, told The Associated Press.

The addition of Flutie, 42, is not completely surprising. There were rumors since his March 13 release by the San Diego Chargers that the Patriots might be interested in him. After Tom Brady, the only other quarterbacks on coach Bill Belichick's depth chart -- three-year veteran Rohan Davey, four-year veteran Chris Redman and rookie Matt Cassel -- have combined for only six regular-season starts.

Davey has yet to start a game. Redman, who is rehabilitating from shoulder surgery, did not play at all last season and has thrown just 13 passes in the last two. Cassel, one of New England's seventh-round picks in the draft last weekend, logged only 33 attempts in four seasons at Southern California.

So Flutie, who played the last four seasons in San Diego, certainly provides the Patriots with more insurance behind Brady than the team has enjoyed the last few seasons.

What is somewhat surprising, though, is where Flutie is resuming his career, since it appeared that he was poised to sign with the Giants. On Thursday, he worked out for Giants coaches and team officials, who, ESPN.com has learned, are now seeking a replacement for scheduled No. 2 quarterback Jim Miller. The 10-year veteran underwent Wednesday surgery to repair a torn hip labrum, a procedure that might keep the star-crossed veteran out for three-four months.

It is not yet known if the Giants made Flutie a formal contract offer. Had he signed with New York, he would have been reunited with Tom Coughlin. The Giants coach was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Boston College when Flutie starred there in the early-1980s.
In 11 NFL seasons, Flutie has appeared in 86 games and completed 1,172 of 2,141 passes for 14,686 yards, with 86 touchdown passes and 68 interceptions. He started all 16 games in 2001 but has appeared in just 10 games in the last three seasons.

With Flutie out of the picture, the Giants' options are further limited. They might take a more patient approach with Miller and see how his rehabilitation progresses, hoping perhaps that he might be recovered by the beginning of the regular season. Or the Giants might pursue one of the few other veteran quarterbacks who have not lined up jobs for the coming season, among them Vinny Testaverde, Jeff Blake, Kordell Stewart, Quincy Carter, Jeff George and Shaun King.

Earlier in the day it was believed that Miller's surgery would likely force the Giants to place him on injured reserve or pursue an injury settlement. A decision on Miller's future with the Giants probably will be made next week.

With Miller probably scratched now as the backup and tutor to second-year veteran Eli Manning, the door was certainly open for Flutie's return to the league. He chose a different one.

Clearly, the Giants prefer a veteran presence behind Manning, who will enter his first training camp as the full-time starter. The other quarterbacks on the roster, Jesse Palmer and Jared Lorenzen, don't have much experience.

When the Giants signed Miller to a one-year, $790,000 contract in early March, it seemed like a great fit for both.

Miller, 34, hasn't thrown a pass in the last two seasons, including a stint in New England in 2004 in which he was the No. 3 "emergency" quarterback for all 16 games. In terms of serving as mentor to Manning, however, and lending a veteran presence to the Giants depth chart, he figured to be an excellent addition. He certainly possessed the demeanor and lack of ego the Giants need in their No. 2 quarterback.

Miller has battled shoulder and ankle injuries the past two years and has not appeared in a game since midway through the 2002 season with the Chicago Bears. He signed with Tampa Bay in 2003 but was released when his rehab lingered well into camp, then signed with New England last summer.

Last week, Miller began to experience back pain and an examination revealed the torn hip labrum.

Miller has started in 27 of his 37 career appearances, and completed 610 of 1,047 passes for 6,387 yards, with 36 touchdown passes and 31 interceptions. His best season came in 2001, when he started 13 games and led the Bears to a division title.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here Insider.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2049908
================================================== =========
I wonder what this means to Rohan Davey's future.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Best college football moment ever IMO: Doug Flutie throws a 48 yard "hail mary" game winning TD pass with no time left to shock Miami in the Orange Bowl by 2 points. Such a perfect pass, in such a clutch situation. I'll look up to him forever after that. It almost made me like Boston College.

Seems really fitting for him to end his career in New England.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2005, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Flutie is old, he'll turn out the same way Testaverde and Bledsoe did.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pierce
Best college football moment ever IMO: Doug Flutie throws a 48 yard "hail mary" game winning TD pass with no time left to shock Miami in the Orange Bowl by 2 points. Such a perfect pass, in such a clutch situation. I'll look up to him forever after that. It almost made me like Boston College.

Seems really fitting for him to end his career in New England.
I'd have to agree with the Hail Mary moment, I'd also have 1983 Cal/Stanford up there for the bizarreness of the play.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Flutie is old, he'll turn out the same way Testaverde and Bledsoe did.
Bledsoe didn't do too bad there. He won an AFC championship.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2005, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Dean
I'd have to agree with the Hail Mary moment, I'd also have 1983 Cal/Stanford up there for the bizarreness of the play.
Most people say that game would be one of the best college football games of all time even if the "band on the field" play never happened. Simply amazing.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2005, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Most people say that game would be one of the best college football games of all time even if the "band on the field" play never happened. Simply amazing.
So even without the band aid the game wouldn't be a scab game. Ladies and gentlemen, a terrible pun.
Old 01 May 2005, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEaux
Bledsoe didn't do too bad there. He won an AFC championship.
But he wasn't great. Anyone who tries to use the excuse that he won a Super Bowl will be shot on sight. Bledsoe won the Super Bowl from the bench. Period.
Old 01 May 2005, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
But he wasn't great. Anyone who tries to use the excuse that he won a Super Bowl will be shot on sight. Bledsoe won the Super Bowl from the bench. Period.
I never tried that that. I'm referring to '97 when the Patriots lost to the Packers.
Old 01 May 2005, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

^He also put the final nail in the Steelers coffin in '01.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2005, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
That game also had a John Elway late drive to get a FG, so California had to score a TD to win.

As we know Cal took the kickoff downfield for the win, but Stanford to this day claims that there were some illegal laterals and refers to the game as a Stanford win.
Old 02 May 2005, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Dean
That game also had a John Elway late drive to get a FG, so California had to score a TD to win.

As we know Cal took the kickoff downfield for the win, but Stanford to this day claims that there were some illegal laterals and refers to the game as a Stanford win.
Sour grapes.
Old 03 May 2005, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned By Administrators

BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.BOSTON , you came here looking for SHECKS.

Nice... Tom Brady finally has a real backup QB!!!
BOSTON is offline   Reply With Quote