ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Benson, the Saints, and Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2005, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Default Benson, the Saints, and Louisiana

Quote:
Benson ends talks on rewriting deal

By MICHELLE MILLHOLLON
mmillhollon@theadvocate.com
Capitol news bureau

Saints owner Tom Benson is sticking with his original deal with the state rather than renegotiate.
Late Wednesday afternoon, Benson officially spurned Gov. Kathleen Blanco's stab at reworking the team's incentives from the state. Blanco wants the team to share in the cost of renovating the Superdome and to agree to less cash from the state.

Benson isn't interested.

Instead, he wants the state to honor the deal engineered by former Gov. Mike Foster, which guarantees the team $186.5 million in state subsidies through 2010.

"After much deliberation, I believe it is in everyone's best interests to continue to operate under the existing agreement reached with the state and approved overwhelmingly by the Louisiana Legislature only three years ago," Benson wrote in a letter posted on the team's Web site.

Advertisement

Calls to Benson's office Wednesday afternoon weren't returned.

Taking a cue from Benson, Blanco responded with her own written statement. She expressed disappointment in Benson's decision and doubt in his declaration that the team can't be profitable without subsidies from the state.

"I could not in good conscience agree to a deal that might -- at the taxpayers' expense -- only add to the wealth of a very profitable team," Blanco said in the statement.

The governor's press secretary, Denise Bottcher, said Blanco was unavailable for comment Wednesday night.

Today, Blanco will release the offer she made to the Saints, Bottcher said.

Blanco refused to discuss the details earlier, saying the team asked to keep the negotiations private.

She has said the offer isn't that different from the objectives she outlined at the beginning of the state's talks with the team. In January, Blanco said she wanted the Saints to contribute $40 million toward stadium renovations and get by with less cash from the state.

Tim Coulon, Blanco's point-man on the negotiations, sat down with the Saints at least six times before pitching them an offer last month.

Weeks went by without word from the Saints.

The silence prompted Blanco to say as recently as Tuesday that she planned to phone Benson and schedule a meeting.

On Wednesday, Coulon said he learned of Benson's rejection about 15 minutes before it was released publicly.

Saints Vice President Arnold Fielkow called to relay the news, Coulon said.

Coulon said he's disappointed but not surprised by the decision.

"I think we put a fair offer on the table," he said.

In his statement, Benson says he's not interested in resuming negotiations with the state until after the 2005 season. Blanco's said she doesn't want to wait that long.

The state has a $15 million payment due to the team in July. The state's expected to fall about $9 million short on the cash needed to make the payment.

Last year, budget constraints forced the state to borrow $7 million from an economic-development fund to pay the Saints.

Coulon deferred to Blanco on deciding whether to press the team to quickly resume talks.

"I have no reason not to want to meet again but more importantly you have to have two groups who want to negotiate," Coulon said.

Two key lawmakers said Wednesday Benson's stance will likely make the Saints a contentious issue during the 2005 legislative session, especially finding ways to meet its annual financial support for the team.

"It seems to be that it will be very difficult to identify a funding source for the state's obligation this year," said Sen. Jay Dardenne, R-Baton Rouge. "I don't know what the governor has in mind but I think there will be some pretty strong opposition from the Legislature for tapping into some other source of revenue for that obligation."

The Republican said he is not surprised that the Saints' owner would opt to keep his current deal with the state.

"He is in the catbird's seat and it does not come as any surprise to me that he is playing hardball," Dardenne said of Benson.

Rep. Arthur Morrell, D-New Orleans, echoed Dardenne's view.

"He is sitting on top of the mountain," Morrell said of Benson. "We have to come up and meet him. When you have the upper hand, you always keep it until something comes along that you can live with."

Morrell said it will be midway through the 45-day session -- lawmakers adjourn on June 23 -- before state leaders know exactly how much money is available for state services. He said the issue might pit limited dollars for the Saints versus state aid for education and health care.

"If we don't have the money, we don't have the money," Morrell said.

Capitol News Bureau reporter Will Sentell contributed to this report.
Maybe I'm a bit early but...
Oh when the Saints
Start running out....

The biggest specific drain on the state's economy may be going.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Screwball

Wolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Wolf Send a message via MSN to Wolf

yo yo yo, whats up Eaux? Long time no post. Ya the Saints prob go marching on to LA in a few years only to get shiped to Las Vegas or some other city like that when the NFL figures out that LA can't support a football team. You'd think after 2 failures that theyd of figured it out by now. Third times the charm....................... yea right, we live in a world where big bucks make you forget previous failures in a hurry. They'll prob give them a 4th franchice to run out of town by 2020.

My Teams

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
likes 30 Rock.

GDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersGDAWG is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters
Send a message via MSN to GDAWG Send a message via Yahoo to GDAWG

I hope they march into Las Vegas. Someday a league will put a team there, and i'll be happy.

Or, the NFL could globalize itself and go into Canada. The NBA did it. I'd always like to see an NFL team there.
GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

The Saints won't go anywere. Benson is just bluffing, because he won't leave his Mafia connections behind.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Hart
The Saints won't go anywere. Benson is just bluffing, because he won't leave his Mafia connections behind.
There is no Mafia in New Orleans. Such an idea involves someone in New Orleans doing something.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers

Well there is a lot of murder and drug dealing in Nawlins. That is doing something.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Hart
Well there is a lot of murder and drug dealing in Nawlins. That is doing something.
touche

However, I would like to take this oppotunity to point out that Benson is getting on in years and will likely sell the team. Nobody else would deal with this stae like Tom Benson has.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I pray the Saints don't move. They are too beloved in Louisiana.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Dean
I pray the Saints don't move. They are too beloved in Louisiana.
By whom?
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I always got that impression that the Saints were popular in Louisiana. Not on the level of LSU, but beloved.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
No Frills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Dean
I always got that impression that the Saints were popular in Louisiana. Not on the level of LSU, but beloved.
How much does the average team get in subsidaries? (Excluding the Packers)
Old 28 Apr 2005, 08:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEaux
How much does the average team get in subsidaries? (Excluding the Packers)
I wouldn't know.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Frills

Well the Saints are unprofitable without a fifteen million dollar subsidiary from the state.
Old 29 Apr 2005, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

C'mon Joe, they are loved. I noticed my first day at PHS. The Aints defined futility, but still maintained their fan base. That is dedication.

Late.