ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

The Glue's Take: 04/13/2005

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2005, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC
Default The Glue's Take: 04/13/2005

Allright...I'm going to try to post once a week, preferrably on Wednesdays, just a few quick (yeah right) points about things that may or may not matter to any or all of you in the world of sports. Feel free to respond in any way you feel appropriate or not. Yeah, this is pretty much a ripoff of GDAWG's Thoughts, but since everyone else is doing it...why can't I??

Anyway...Moving Forward...

It's Baseball Season...again...oh, we all love Baseball. There's been maybe 6 games per team played, but we've gotten some good rivalries re-started, of course the main attraction being the all-too overhyped Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. The Sox got their rings on schedule and the Yanks were there and...so what. It's not nearly as big as the media made it out to be, after all the Sox are last year's world champs, they do need to get their rings...big deal if the Yanks were there.

Anyway, being so soon in the season, I won't make any predictions other than this...with 3 of their starters throwing complete games in the last 8 days, the Florida Marlins (Beckett, Burnett and the D-Train) look to have probably the premeir starting rotation this year. Oh well, time and the remaining 500 games of the season could derail that, too.

The NFL Entry Draft gets underway Saturday April 23...of course there's been the obligatory Free Agent moves, draft pick/disgruntled player swapping and the like going on, but now teams are buckling down and getting ready for the NFL's version of The Crap Shoot. Now while everyone dilly-dallies about who's trading up, who's going first, etc, etc...I'm most excited about a quarterback. Rogers, Smith, Greene??

No...Arkansas QB Matt Jones. Well, he's worked out for QB, TE and WR positions, but he's crazy athletic, 6'6" tall, ran a 4.37 40 yd dash @ the combine, jumped a 39.5" vertical and has 9.5" hands. He'll be interesting to watch this fall, and the on the next version of Madden I play, I'm sure I'll be trading for him. Draft gurus have him going everywhere from the 1st round to the 7th...there's a lot out there this year as far as team stories, but for me the most intriguing thing about this draft is young Mr. Jones.

Tiger Woods won his 4th Masters Tournament...and people on sports talk shows everywhere people are asking if Tiger is back. Well, where did he go?? Isn't he #2 or #3 in the world?? Hasn't he been in contention for most tournaments he's played in?? So for the first time since 1998 he lost the world's #1 ranking last year and hasn't won a Major in a few. So what?? Elevated competition is a good thing, it's been great for other people to win as well, and let's face it, no one person can dominate an entire sport where the field is so diverse. Is Tiger back...I say the brother never left.

As the NBA season winds down...some teams are locking up their spot in the post season, while others are scrambling for theirs. Disappointments include the Lakers (let's all welcome Lakers General Manager Kobe Bryant to the draft lottery) who recently showed a lot of hustle in getting eliminated from playoff contention. Shaq meanwhile is priming the Miami Heat for a possible title run...I guess we know who got the better of that trade.

Jermaine O'Neal recently suggested that racism could be at the heart of a proposal to send all high school draftees to the NBADL until they're a certain age. O'Neal complained that you never hear about an age limit in Baseball or Hockey, both of which draft primarily kids just out of high school, and IMO there's some merit to what O'Neal is saying.

However playing Devil's Advocate, in Baseball and Hockey you don't hear about the age limit because those kids go to the minor leagues until they're ready...and that's pretty much what is being proposed for the NBA so maybe it's not really racism at all...

Finally, we talk about the alleged "most popular sport in the world," Soccer...now, as some of you may know, The Glue isn't the biggest soccer fan in the world, or America, or New York, or my workplace, or my home. I find it boring for the most part, except when the fans riot and boy am I loving soccer today. For the second time this year in the Champions League, a game was "abandoned" due to fan unruliness.

The first time was because refs were getting hit with bottles, and this time, Soccer Hooligan was looking to one-up himself. In the match between Inter Milan and AC Milan (who??!), match play was suspended when a goal for Inter Milan was disallowed, causing classy Inter Milan Fan to start throwing lit flares onto the field. I say again...Inter Milan Fan threw multiple lit flares onto the field of play. Now that's what I call bringing it hardcore.

After a while, the chaos was "straightened out" and the game was restarted...for 30 seconds, at which point more lit flares were thrown onto the field as well as bottles. They were described in the press as "missles."

Okay...where the hell did all those lit flares come from?? Anyone who watched SportsCenter saw that the field was on fire...who the fuck brings flares to a game, and what the hell kind of security do they have at these things??! Hell, the worst thing to happen at a Football game in recent years was a Pepperspray incident, and if we're not talking about Eagles Fan or Raider Fan, there pretty much won't be anything beyond a drunk or two brawling.

This was a Soccer Game, where riots should be expected. Hell, it's the second time this year that a game in that league had been "abandoned" for such behavior. How the hell people are getting flares through the gates is beyond me. Anyway, Soccer was interesting to me again, if only for a moment so I thought I'd share it with you.

Well, that was my take....thanks for reading.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2005, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Bottlegate > The flares, IMO.

I have heard of Matt Jones, he reminds me of a Pittsburgh product. They do a good job with athletic freaks and multiple position players (Hines Ward, Randel El). I eventually see him as a second rounder.

Asking about Yankees/Red Sox, this is for anyone. How come you hear so much about their games and not others as Dodgers/Giants or Cubs/Cardinals?
Old 13 Apr 2005, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Arnaz
Asking about Yankees/Red Sox, this is for anyone. How come you hear so much about their games and not others as Dodgers/Giants or Cubs/Cardinals?
Probably cuz I live in New York...I complain because I really couldn't give a rat's ass about any team from New York...other than the Rochester Americans, Rochester Red Wings and the Buffalo Bisons...but those are all minor league so I wouldn't impose them on anyone outside of the area...

...unless of course one of them happened to be the best team in their entire sport...as the Rochester Americans are.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2005, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Arnaz
Bottlegate > The flares, IMO.

I have heard of Matt Jones, he reminds me of a Pittsburgh product. They do a good job with athletic freaks and multiple position players (Hines Ward, Randel El). I eventually see him as a second rounder.

I think it's cause their rivalry has been going on forever, almost literally. It started when Babe Ruth was traded, and that was like in the 1920s.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2005, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
Tiger Woods won his 4th Masters Tournament...and people on sports talk shows everywhere people are asking if Tiger is back. Well, where did he go?? Isn't he #2 or #3 in the world?? Hasn't he been in contention for most tournaments he's played in?? So for the first time since 1998 he lost the world's #1 ranking last year and hasn't won a Major in a few. So what?? Elevated competition is a good thing, it's been great for other people to win as well, and let's face it, no one person can dominate an entire sport where the field is so diverse. Is Tiger back...I say the brother never left.
He's number one again. I don't think he was ever lower then #2. I think he did kinda fall off the charts for a bit. But for a few years there he wasn't playing in every single tournament, so obviously if you don't play as much your talent is going to fall. Then you have guys like Mickelson and Singh who played in all these tournaments that Tiger didn't play in, so their starting to catch up with him talent wise. I think Tiger realized this now and he's gotta put his ass back in gear. Tiger is out to prove he's still the best golfing in the world and your going to see him playing in all the tournaments he can and winning alot of them.

btw...Mickelson's face was priceless as he was putting Tiger's green jacket on.

Nice little column here, Glue.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

I like the column glue. But i have a couple of queries.

1. ROTFLMAO at
Quote:
Originally Posted by the glue
alleged "most popular sport in the world,"
theres no alleged about it. Just because most americans dont "get it" doesnt mean its not the most popular.
Remember in a planet of 6 billion people that only 280 million people are americans. The sport is the most popular sport on definatly 3 and probably 4 of the 7 continents on earth (and one is a frozen wasteland and that doesnt count)

2. Tiger woods was most definatly in a form slump, especially in his own mind.
As for the explaination on why he was still no 1 for so long during the period is easily eplained when you realise that during the period where he won 3 out of the 4 majors in the year (7 wins in the previous 11 majors) as well as 7 tournaments during the year he built up such a rankings lead that it actually took 2 years (and singhs 10 victories last year) just for somebody to overhaul his enormous lead.
Tiger has also undergone his 2nd rebuild of his swing and you dont go around rebuilding your swing if your in form.

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I would also like to add that the World Cup 2002 got 180 million viewers.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
R.I.P. Heath

Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via MSN to Stephie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue

No...Arkansas QB Matt Jones. Well, he's worked out for QB, TE and WR positions, but he's crazy athletic, 6'6" tall, ran a 4.37 40 yd dash @ the combine, jumped a 39.5" vertical and has 9.5" hands. He'll be interesting to watch this fall, and the on the next version of Madden I play, I'm sure I'll be trading for him. Draft gurus have him going everywhere from the 1st round to the 7th...there's a lot out there this year as far as team stories, but for me the most intriguing thing about this draft is young Mr. Jones.

I have been telling them............ and they have been like who?......I tell them to wait till the draft.......Im ready to put all my Matt Jones shit on Ebay.

Stephie is offline   Reply With Quote