ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

New NBA Age Requirements?//Jermaine O'Neal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2005, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default New NBA Age Requirements?//Jermaine O'Neal

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Okay, even though I wish they would do it, Kobe Bryant isn't gonna get decapitated. But the first two may just as well happen by next year. It sounds good. Although I'd love to see kids learn to play in College, atleast they'll be taught somewhere.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2005, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

That was a good article, thank you for sharing it.

I am on the fence about matters like these. Yes the league should look out for it's best intrests and make sure the best of the best get in the league, but who's to stop a 18 year old kid from making a living?

I'd do what the NHL and baseball does and have the option of the players to be drafted and still play in college. The team that drafted that player controls his rights once in the league.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Pacers center thinks NBA age limit has racist undertones

April 12, 2005
TORONTO (AP) -- Indiana center Jermaine O'Neal said the NBA's desire to put an age limit in the next collective bargaining agreement could be driven by racism.

``In the last two or three years, the rookie of the year has a been a high school player. There were seven high school players in the All-Star game, so why we even talking an age limit?'' said O'Neal, who was drafted out of high school in 1996 by the Portland Trail Blazers.

``As a black guy, you kind of think that's the reason why it's coming up. You don't hear about it in baseball or hockey. To say you have to be 20, 21 to get in the league, it's unconstitutional. If I can go to the U.S. army and fight the war at 18, why can't you play basketball for 48 minutes?''

The NBA's seven-year labor agreement expires after the season and NBA commissioner David Stern has asked for a 20-year-old age limit in the next deal, with incentives provided to players who defer their draft eligibility to stay in college. The union originally opposed raising the current age limit of 18, but has begun to waver.

Cleveland's LeBron James won the rookie of the year award last season, and Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire took home the honor for the 2002-03 season. Both were drafted out of high school.
================================================== ========

Just added for perspective. O'Neal has several very good points there. It's hard to allege racism against a league like the NBA with so much cultural diversity, but with regard to Hockey and Baseball, O'Neal is 100% right. Most baseball players are drafted right out of high school. In hockey, it's extremely rare to find an NHL player that has even been to college.

While there is always talk of not allowing high schoolers to jump into the NBA...you almost never hear about that in the other two sports, and there have been cases where guys were playing in the NHL the year after they were drafted, Mario Lemeiux and Patrick Stefan come immediately to mind.

Like Desi...I'm on the fence on this one. You see guys like Darius Miles rolling around millionaires, not even affecting his team's bottom line and think that the high school jumpers should really spend a year or two at least in college. Then you see guys like Sebastian Telfair, who has seen many of his friends shot dead, including once literally right outside his family's apartment, and you'd be a dick to deny him the opportunity to get his family out of the projects.

It's a very tough call, and since I'm not a proponent of change for change's sake, at this time I'd have to say that the rules should remain as they are...but that's just me.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2005, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

What in the world could racism possibly have to do with an age limit?
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2005, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

^
many of the NBA's black players come from less than desirable environments and see the NBA or Pro Ball as their way out of the ghetto.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Arnaz
^
many of the NBA's black players come from less than desirable environments and see the NBA or Pro Ball as their way out of the ghetto.
That means nothing. The upbringing of a person means very little on a person's ability to play a game. They can come from anywhere and still play the game.
Age is not equal to race.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2005, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

That is true, but it is a factor in why players go early.

Age means nothing to me. If you can play, you can play.