ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Emmit Smith Signs Back With The Cowboys To Retire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK
Default Emmit Smith Signs Back With The Cowboys To Retire

Emmitt Re-signs To Officially Retire With Cowboys

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
March 17, 2005, 6:07 p.m. (CST)

IRVING, Texas -In the midst of trying to sign the top free agents in the market, the Cowboys just so happened to re-sign the NFL's all-time leading rusher on Thursday . . . finally.

As expected, the Cowboys signed Emmitt Smith to his token one-year contract, which will allow the future Pro Football Hall of Fame running back to officially retire as a Cowboy.

Smith, who announced his retirement at a press conference Feb. 3 in Jacksonville, Fla., during Super Bowl week, played the last two years with the Arizona Cardinals after constructing that league-leading rushing career with the Cowboys in 13 seasons.

Smith now only needs to submit his official written notification of his retirement to the league office to be officially placed on the Cowboys' reserve/retired list.

The first date Smith could have re-signed with the Cowboys was March 2, the start of the NFL's free-agent signing period. However, with the Cowboys making a big splash in the first week of free agency, signing cornerback Anthony Henry, guard Marco Rivera and defensive tackle Jason Ferguson right off the bat, and recent trade talks concerning Saints defensive end Darren Howard, completing Smith's deal seemed almost trivial.

But Smith made it clear at the Super Bowl retiring as a Dallas Cowboy was highly important to him.

"It's only fitting for me to leave the game of football and move on with my life, and retire as a Dallas Cowboy," Smith said last month in his press conference. "It's been a tremendous ride, and one that I'm very proud of.

"The memories that I have, the relationships that I'm taking away from the game are something dear and something I will take with me for the rest of my life. I'm moving on to another chapter in my life, and that's a chapter I'm looking forward to."

Smith will finish his career with 18,355 rushing yards, having surpassed Walter Payton's previous all-time leading mark of 16,726 yards during the 2002 season.

Smith currently remains nearly 5,000 yards ahead of the closest active rusher, that being Curtis Martin, who has 13,366 rushing yards after 10 NFL seasons. Martin will turn 32 in May.

Along with being the league's all-time leading rusher, Smith also holds NFL records for most rushing touchdowns (164) and rushing attempts (4,509). An eight-time Pro Bowler, Smith owns four rushing titles, helped lead the Cowboys to three Super Bowls, and was named MVP of Super Bowl XXVIII and the NFL's MVP in 1993.

Smith rushed for 937 yards this past season for the Cardinals and scored nine touchdowns, his highest TD total since the 2000 season.

all i can say is its about time.

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Fitting. Jerry Rice should sign with the 49ers when he finally retires.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Together We Can!

_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK_Fox_ is a STICK

i dont even know is he on a team anymore?

The War
You support pulling out, I say USE A CONDOM!!!!
_Fox_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
i dont even know is he on a team anymore?
I don't know for sure. He might still be on Seattle.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sam
Property of the U.S. Gov.

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Testaverde should re-sign with one of his teams when he finally retires.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

He was with Arizona.

Classy move by Jerry Jones.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hetfield
Testaverde should re-sign with one of his teams when he finally retires.
Yes but which one?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam

Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.Sam is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Sam Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzone
Yes but which one?
It doesn't matter. I don't think any of them would re-sign him.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Quote:
It doesn't matter. I don't think any of them would re-sign him.
Unless they signed Parcells as coach.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzone
Unless they signed Parcells as coach.
I don't think anyone would sign Parcells either.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
I don't think anyone would sign Parcells either.
Sam your an idiot. Parcells is one of the best coaches in the league right now.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Rice is currently a free agent, having been released by the Seahawks and is currently waiting for an NFL team to express a need for an over the hill, slow, egomaniac WR that won't ever see the field on Sunday. Or at least that's my understanding.

Parcells is in fact a great NFL coach and to suggest otherwise is not wise. However, it should be mentioned that he never won a Super Bowl without Belichek as his DC. He did however have the Jets in the AFC Championship, and considering the complete joke they were when he arrived, that's more than impressive.

As for Emmitt...I saw Jerry cutting him coming a mile away. I wished that he'd have just called it in then and there. Not that I have any particular love for Emmitt or the Cowboys, other than the fact that they made Bills fans all over New York cry for two straight years (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Fuck Buffalo).

Emmitt going to Arizona wasn't a classless move on anyone's part. It was plain to see in Dallas that it was his time and there wasn't much that would've stopped his release. Emmitt still wanted to play though and what are you going to do...tell the man with the most rushing yards in NFL history "no??" Emmitt's gonna retire w/ Dallas, and that salvages some of his dignity. He should have retired a Cowboy after he broke Sweetness' record though.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2005, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Sam your an idiot. Parcells is one of the best coaches in the league right now.
Not if he's going to sign Testaverde.