ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Thought this might interest all the Cowboy fans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2005, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
PWF's Best Pure Athlete

The Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of FamerThe Natural is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via MSN to The Natural
Default Thought this might interest all the Cowboy fans

Sources: Cowboys may deal Nguyen to Saints for DE:

IRVING The Cowboys, who have not had a defensive end with double-digit sacks in nearly a decade, are in serious negotiations with New Orleans to acquire defensive end Darren Howard, two sources said Friday night.

The sources said the Cowboys are considering trading middle linebacker Dat Nguyen and a second-round pick in April's draft to New Orleans for Howard.

Howard (6-3, 275 pounds), a five-year veteran from Kansas State, had 11 sacks last season and has 41 in his career. The former second-round pick had 11 sacks as a rookie.

He is currently involved in a salary dispute with the Saints, who have placed the franchise tag on him, meaning his salary will equal the average of the five highest-paid defensive ends next season. If he doesn't sign the contract by 3 p.m. Monday, he and the Saints can't negotiate a long-term deal that would help the Saints lower his salary-cap figure in 2005 and provide him with the long-term security that he desires.

The Saints also franchised Howard last season.

A source close to Howard said he has not yet entered serious contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but the sides have an idea of the parameters for working out an agreement.

Howard's name first surfaced in trade talk three days ago at the club's Valley Ranch training complex, but the talks didn't gain momentum until Friday, according to two sources.

Jeff Ireland, who is running the Cowboys' pro and college scouting department, called SMU coach Phil Bennett last week to inquire about Howard. Bennett was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State when Howard played there.

Injuries have hampered Howard the last two seasons.

He missed eight games with a broken wrist in 2003 and missed three games last season with an assortment of neck and knee injuries.

Nguyen, who is signed through 2007 with Dallas, is one of the club's most productive players.

The six-year veteran had a team-high 135 tackles with three interceptions and three pass deflections last season.

But he also fits into the category of a small linebacker at 5-11, 238 pounds. The Cowboys waived 5-10, 231-pound linebacker Dexter Coakley last week. Coach Bill Parcells wants bigger, more physical players like 6-2, 245-pound Bradie James at linebacker.

Dallas still has the 11th and 20th picks in the first round and could take a playmaking linebacker like Maryland's Shawne Merriman or Texas' Derrick Johnson with its first pick. Then Dallas could trade its second first-round pick to acquire additional choices.

Dallas used its third-round pick to acquire Drew Henson last spring.

If the Cowboys acquire Howard, who turns 29 in November, it would be an indication that Parcells wants to use the 4-3 as his base defense this season because Howard would be considered an undersized defensive end in the 3-4.

Howard and Greg Ellis would be the defensive ends, and La'Roi Glover and Jason Ferguson, signed to a five-year, $21.5 million deal last week, would be the defensive tackles.

They would form Dallas' best defensive line since the early '90s, when the Cowboys were one of the elite teams in football.

They would also have three defensive linemen capable of beating one-on-one blocking in pass-rushing situations, something the Cowboys haven't had in several years. Tony Tolbert had 12 sacks in 1996, the last time the Cowboys had a player with at least 10.

Surrounded by other outstanding pass-rushers when he played in New Orleans, Glover once had 17 sacks in 2000 and 50 in five seasons with the Saints.
The Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2005, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I don't think this trade is going to happen from what i'm reading. There's rumors that Howard is demanding a $17M signing bonus and Dallas still doesn't know if they want to give up Nguyen.

I don't even know if I want this trade to happen. Sure it would give the Cowboys one of the best D lines in the NFL (Howard, Ferguson, Glover Ellis), but our linebackers would be so weak. The only other LB's we have are Singleton and James (who has only played half a season). So that really worries me.

If it happens it happens. If it doesn't it doesn't. Either way I could care less because I don't know if really makes a difference.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

If the Saints are smart they don't do it. Their D sucks and need to keep the few decent players on D they got.

As you said Reb, it might not be worth it to Dallas.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
I don't think this trade is going to happen from what i'm reading. There's rumors that Howard is demanding a $17M signing bonus and Dallas still doesn't know if they want to give up Nguyen.

I don't even know if I want this trade to happen. Sure it would give the Cowboys one of the best D lines in the NFL (Howard, Ferguson, Glover Ellis), but our linebackers would be so weak. The only other LB's we have are Singleton and James (who has only played half a season). So that really worries me.

If it happens it happens. If it doesn't it doesn't. Either way I could care less because I don't know if really makes a difference.
What are the free agent LB's still on the market at the moment??? I mean. Given that our DLine will almost be UNSTOPPABLE... We may be able to pick up an average Linebacker to complement James and Singleton. Along with Williams, Henry and Newman in the secondary... At least Howard is proven, with over 10 sacks in a season where he was injured. Who is to say Erasmus/Tuck or any of the rookies will have the same effect.

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.

OK time to hypothesize... And here is what i've found.

Quote:
Linebacking unit needs mean man in the middle
Texans have three sets of linebackers one coming, one going,
one staying.

For perhaps the first time in their brief existence, the Texans find themselves unable to avoid a display of public unpleasantness. They are obliged to shed a pair of linebackers, Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, who have been solid performers and decent citizens.

But having moved from baby steps to almost the middle of the pack, the Texans want to upgrade. They are in the market for faster and younger talent, the kind that offers an important promise more bang for the buck.

There is no painless way to create the space to do this, although you suspect the decision hurts Sharper and Foreman more than it does the Texans. Jamie is going on 31, heading into his ninth season. He has led the team in tackles twice, and if the defense seemed to be marginally sharper last year, he helped improve that image.

Jay the son of Chuck Foreman, a feared running back with the Vikings is in his prime at 29, with six seasons behind him. He ranked second in tackles last year, even though he missed five games with a damaged ankle.

The club gave Sharper and Foreman permission to negotiate their own trades, but this is like your employer allowing you to seek another job. It is not exactly a seller's market out there. Most teams have salary-cap problems, and the Texans wouldn't be taking this action if they didn't need to free up dollars.

Even so, their starting lineup remains more stable than most. In contrast, the Titans had what amounted to an exodus, releasing Derrick Mason, Kevin Carter and Samari Rolle, after waving a tearful goodbye to Jevon Kearse a year ago.

The Texans haven't been in business long enough to have their fans form strong emotional attachments to the players.

But each year, a rookie or two has endeared himself to the crowd: David Carr, Domanick Davis, Andre Johnson, Jason Babin.

A first-round pick out of Western Michigan, Babin did nothing to disappoint the team in his rookie year. He's quick and delivers a hard lick.

Kailee Wong can play inside or out, and he grades high for consistency. With the addition of Morlon Greenwood, there appears to be just one spot open among the linebackers.
Anyways the point is Dallas may be able to get him relatively cheap... and he is the sizable guy we would be looking for in the middle. Granted he isnt the longterm solution. But he wouldnt be a bad stop gap for 2 maybe 3 season. Relatively the same production as Nguyen... But a bigger presence.

# 55 Jamie Sharper
Position: LB
Height: 6-3
Weight: 239
Born: 11/23/1974
College: Virginia
NFL Experience: 9

In the last 3 years he has over 436 tackles, 11.5 sacks and 18 pass deflections. If given the opportunity. What would you rate the chances of Dallas jumping through hoops to get him?

Old 13 Mar 2005, 05:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Dallas is no longer trading Nguyen but they are still intrested in Howard. So who knows whats going to happen now. Without Nguyen in the deal I can't see this getting done since I don't see the Cowboys trading a first round pick.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Dallas is no longer trading Nguyen but they are still intrested in Howard. So who knows whats going to happen now. Without Nguyen in the deal I can't see this getting done since I don't see the Cowboys trading a first round pick.
As i said we were probably going to spend a first rounder on a DE anyway. And this one is proven. We bypass the learning process and get the finished product. That is how Dallas would be looking at it.