ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NHL Fans Are Sick, Tired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default NHL Fans Are Sick, Tired

Mon, February 7, 2005

NHL fans are sick and tired

By KEN FIDLIN

Last week, espn.com, the Internet site for all-sports TV station ESPN, asked its American subscribers to weigh in on the NHL lockout. "Do you care that the NHL is expected to cancel the 2004-05 season?" they asked.

Of the 146,514 responses, 73% said "No."

Given what we north of the border have been surmising over the past few months, that percentage is not terribly surprising. Hockey coverage in the States is as hard to find as cricket coverage in Canada. It's a boutique sport at best.

What is surprising is that many actually responded. Were they giving away free cars?

We in Canada love and care about hockey in a way unmatched around the globe, but I'm starting to doubt if Canadians care as deeply as we think about the current labour dispute. Given his or her druthers, every hockey fan in this country obviously would choose to have the NHL back on ice and back on our TV sets. But in light of the equally obvious fact that it's not going to happen anytime soon, I am sensing little in the way of passionate outrage that you might expect of a people deprived of their game.

Lockout conversations tend to peter out after a minute or two, simply because there's not a lot to say. Once you get past "Are they coming back?" and the obligatory negative response, talk turns to more urgent matters, like the price of kids' sticks.

So, what in the name of Gordie Howe is going on here? It certainly isn't that we don't care, because down deep we do.

My own belief is that in an age of unfathomable player riches, not to mention ticket prices, the public has disconnected itself from the people who play and run the game.

Trevor Linden may expect us working stiffs to appreciate the principle behind his association's stalwart refusal to accept a cap on their salaries that would reduce the average salary from $1.8 million US to $1.3 million, but the truth is nobody I know can relate to such thinking.

If you can believe the industry numbers, there is a $2 billion pie (shrinking with each passing day) to be divided. How can such an economic reality get lost in the semantics of "salary cap" and "linkage" and "cost certainty."

For heaven's sake, at $1 million a year a middle-of-the road NHLer will gross more in two seasons than about 90% of the population earns in 40 years of working.

In the realm of professional athletics, hockey players have managed in general to maintain their image as "real" people; good guys, humble and as well-grounded as the small towns where so many are from. But in recent years, it has gotten so that the only people who can afford to go to watch them play are rich and well-connected themselves.

Because it's hockey and because it's Canada, folks will cheer for the sweater (whenever that sweater reappears). They will pine quietly for the game they love but care little for the "plight" of the millionaires who play it and the billionaires who own the teams.

As this charade of a negotiation drags on yet another week, each side rooted to the same patch of ground it occupied two years ago, the players and owners will continue to wage their little war through the media for the hearts and minds of the people in the street.

As far as we can tell, though, those hearts and minds already have moved on.

================================================== ========

Very intresting read I thought.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

As a Canadian I can back that up saying we don't really give a shit anymore. We at least I know, I don't. Sure I would be happy if hockey would be back next week, but you know thats not going to happen. No one talks about the lockout because like the article says, theres nothing to talk about....

The sad thing is, that the players are in a no win situation. I just don't know why they don't take that 40million dollar cap or whatever they want. At first I was on the players side and I thought they have the right to fight against the retarded owners, but now...fuck em. Their both godamn idiots. Do they not realize they could just fold the NHL, make another league with a cap and they would come crawling back? No player is going to stay over in Europe. The only players I could see staying in Europe is Europeans themselves. So the players are fucked...just agree to the cap and don't make the nhl look worse then it already does.

Once they cancel the season their not going to talk until October or November again. Then once again its going to be January or February with no deal.
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

If people in Canada don't care anymore, I know it's an afterthought in Ohio even with the Jackets expansion glow still there.

If there is a season next year, the first thing Gary Bettman should do is resign as NHL commish. Too much shit including 2 strikes happened on his watch. I agree about the European part. Some Euros will stay but there is the shot to make millions and to be a worldwide star in the NHL, who will pass that up?
Old 09 Feb 2005, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
shot in the head.

dimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to behold

the season will be cancelled this weekend watch....
dimebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2005, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

^

It's been cancelled since October
Old 14 Feb 2005, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
In Todd We Trust

The Return OfSP Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

If you actually got two people that know and have been brought up by the game of hockey, they would understand the consequences, but these two jabronis are the total opposite.

The Return OfSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2005, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Shooter Magavin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shooter Magavin Send a message via MSN to Shooter Magavin

fucking players are dickhead.s
Shooter Magavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2005, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
-The Black Hole -

raider98 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Reb, I don't really miss it at all. The NHL is a disgrace.
raider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2005, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
shot in the head.

dimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to beholddimebag is a splendid one to behold

anyone that has posted in this thread that is american please raise your hand.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Raises it
Old 14 Feb 2005, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
shot in the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy Gibbler
Raises it
k now shut the fuck up.. yer american.. you have baseball and basketball and nascar etc.

we have hockey it's a canadian thing.. if your not canadian you can't complian so shut up.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
k now shut the fuck up.. yer american.. you have baseball and basketball and nascar etc.

we have hockey it's a canadian thing.. if your not canadian you can't complian so shut up.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mmmh...Chain-Gang rules.

John Cena Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

Seriously. If hockey's cancelled this year AND next year, the owners are going to be free of anything. They'll do whatever they want and the players are going to look perfectly dumb, which is appreciating. Let's cancel this season and next year. Then, nobody will spend 125$ to see Saku Koivu scoring in his own goal and we'll be able to have enough subventions in our healthcare system. Fuck hockey.

By the way, i'm canadian...from Montreal!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
StreetHistory.com

Street_History is a name known to allStreet_History is a name known to allStreet_History is a name known to allStreet_History is a name known to allStreet_History is a name known to allStreet_History is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal

shut up, I from Minnesota and people are love hockey like it's a relative. I personally I'm not a fan of any hockey except Minnesota teams.

Personally, if I have to watch, I like watching college hockey, it's better.

Fuck the NHL Players, greedy bastards. The Owners offered 42.5 Million, and they said 49 Million, come together shit.