ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Russell Dies on NHRA event.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2004, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof
Default Russell Dies on NHRA event.

ESPN.com news services

Darrell Russell

MADISON, Ill. -- Drag racer Darrell Russell died Sunday after his car broke up while traveling about 300 mph and burst into flames during a Top Fuel race at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell had crossed the finish line on the quarter-mile strip and deployed his parachute when his dragster came apart in the second round of eliminations at the Sears Craftsman NHRA Nationals.

The car rolled to a halt near a guard wall and the fire was quickly put out.

The 35-year-old from Hockley, Texas, was unconscious when he was cut from the wreckage, immobilized with a brace and placed on a backboard. He was taken by helicopter to the St. Louis University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Russell is the first participant to be killed in competition at an NHRA national event since Blaine Johnson died in a crash during a qualifying run in the 1996 U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis.

"I feel absolutely horrible," said U.S. Army Top Fuel driver Tony Schumacher, who made a quick trip to St. Louis University Medical Center following his second round loss in Top Fuel only to hear the bad news about his good friend. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Darrell's wife and the entire Russell family. I'm at a loss for words right now."

Schumacher's U.S. Army teammate, Pro Stock Bike rider Antron Brown, was stunned after receiving the word about Russell.

"Total disbelief is all I can say," Brown said. "Darrell was such a great guy and a rising star in the sport. I don't think there was ever a time I didn't see a smile on his face. We will miss him in the worst way."

Sunday's event continued after a 45-minute delay.

Russell, the 2001 NHRA rookie of the year, had six career Top Fuel victories, including the Pontiac Excitement Nationals two weeks ago in Columbus, Ohio.

R.I.P. Darell Russell This kid had a future too bad it was cut short.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote