ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Pens struggling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Pens struggling

PRESTO, Pa. (AP) -- Mario Lemieux might soon put the Pittsburgh Penguins up for sale unless the team works out a deal for a new arena.

Lemieux, speaking to reporters Thursday for the first time in seven months, said slot machines in Pennsylvania could be the club's last hope to replace 43-year-old Mellon Arena.

"If there's no arena in sight, then we have to explore all of our options," Lemieux said. "The franchise right now is not for sale, although I've had many inquiries, but it might be in the future."

Lemieux revealed he recently received three unsolicited and "encouraging" inquiries from out-of-town parties interested in the Penguins, though he didn't disclose their names or locations.

"I've been working on this (arena) for the last three years and really haven't made any progress, especially in the past year. It is frustrating a little bit," he said. "As an ownership group, we've taken this as far as we could. ... I think it's up to the community now to decide if they want to keep this team here."

Lemieux's remarks, made on the opening day of his charity golf tournament, were much like those he made at the same event last year. Then, he said he felt "betrayed" by the lack of arena support from city and county leaders.

When Lemieux's ownership group bought the Penguins in federal bankruptcy court in 1999, an informal agreement with the city and Allegheny County called for an arena financing deal to be in place by 2002.

Since then, the proposed arena has become a potential political liability for elected officials dealing with an economic downturn that has left the city barely staving off bankruptcy and the county laying off employees.

That's why Lemieux is hopeful a slots bill is approved by state lawmakers and that it would help fund a replacement for Mellon, the NHL's oldest arena. Lemieux emphasized an arena is used for many events other than hockey, and that many concerts and touring shows bypass Pittsburgh because of its inadequate arena.

The Pennsylvania House and Senate each approved gambling bills last year, but the bills died when members could not reconcile differences between the two. Supporters are hopeful a compromise can be worked out this month before lawmakers break for the summer.

"We're watching the slots very closely. That's probably the last chance we have to make an arena deal," Lemieux said. "There has to be a component for funding the new arena through the legislation and if that doesn't happen, I don't see an arena being built here."

After spending $14 million on the proposed arena, including $10 million for a proposed site, the Penguins aren't exploring any funding options except the slots.

"We've spent a lot of money trying to put a deal together to assure this team stays here beyond 2007," Lemieux said, referring to when the team's arena lease expires. "We acted in good faith. We thought people would get behind us, especially our local leaders ... which has not happened at all."

Some politicians suggested a new NHL labor agreement favorable to small-market franchises is a necessity before any arena deal can be completed. Lemieux cautioned that waiting any longer will further drive up costs of the proposed $270 million arena.

As for his own career, Lemieux -- who turns 39 in October -- still expects to play for Canada in the World Cup this summer. He also has no plans to retire even if there a long labor impasse, which he said the Penguins are financially prepared to weather.

Lemieux said he didn't give interviews most of the season to keep the focus on a young, rebuilding team that finished last in the NHL's overall standings. He was also working behind the scenes on the arena project.

"The clock is ticking. I'm not trying to scare anybody, I'm not going to scream and yell at anybody," he said. "I'll just go quietly, protect my interests, protect my partners (and) not warn anybody."

espn.com
------------------------

lol. No one is going to give them an arena deal. And no one is going to buy the team. The Pens are so screwed. Just fold them. Its impossible for them to get back on track.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I hope worst doesn't come to worst. The Pens were the last team to bring a title to the Golden Triangle and they deserve better. Hell even the Bucs got a new stadium.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo

Back in January there was talks of the team going to Winnipeg. So, if that's the case, tehy better not get a deal.

Go Jets Go!
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote