ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Multiple Sport Cities, What's biggest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2004, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Multiple Sport Cities, What's biggest?

What sports teams (pro/college) is more popular in your market/state?

I live in Zanesville OH(a distant suburb of Columbus), I am equadistant to Cleveland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (my 3 favorite cities) so I will do all 3. I will also cover Columbus.

I give explanations behind my choices, but you don't have to in yours.

Cleveland (includes Akron, Canton, Youngstown)
1. Browns. They rule the roost in NE Ohio, a big time HS Football hotbed. One of the most successful franchises historically and they have pretty diehard fans despite all that has happened. This showed when Cleveland fought back against fArt Modell when he committed the crime of the century. Think of the relationship with Green Bay and the Packers and thats what its like here.

1a. Ohio State. Will explain later in the post.

2. Cavs. They were very popular in the 80s (Mark Price/Brad Daugherty days) and sold out Gund Arena. After they left and the team tanked, no one cared until King James arrived. Cavs sold out at the Gund and on the road and their merchendise was in the top 5 of the NBA.

3. Indians. From their AL pennants in 1954 to 1995, they won nothing. The only times Municipal Stadium sold out was opening day and free beer night. That is until Dick Jacobs bought the team and built a winner. During the brief time that the Browns was gone, Cleveland was Tribe town. They had sellouts of Jacobs Field for over 400 games! Now that Thome, Lofton, Belle, ect. are gone, intrest has waned but not too much. The Tribe are still loved here.

Cincinnati (includes Dayton/Kentucky)
1. Reds. They have been in the city since 1869 and have been good throughout virtually all of it. People here still remeber the Big Red Machine and their games sell out (now that they are in 1st). They havent made the playoffs in 10 years and they are more popular than the Indians.

2. Bengals. In the 80s(the Bengals best decade), Cincy was a Bengals town and they sold out Riverfront every game. Then Paul Brown died and his bastard son Mike took over. He did all he could to fuck up the franchise just so he could make a profit, but they did manage reasonable attendance. Now that Marvin Lewis is coaching, peoples love for the team has rekindled, but no matter how well they should do, they won't know off the Browns as Ohio's #1 pro football team (same as Reds/Indians).

3. UC/Xavier/Dayton/Kentucky/Louisville basketball. Outside of Tobacco Road (North Carolina), this is America's college basketball hotbed. All the schools are in a 90 minute radius of each other and they all have loyal fans. The biggest game in Cincinnati is the Crosstown Shootout between UC and Xavier which is played in the sold out 18,000 Firstar Center. Likewise in the state of Kentucky is the UK/Louisville game. Dayton's UD Arena hosts the play-in game of the NCAA Men's tourney. You should be here in March Madness, this area is abuzzing, moreso because of Xavier's underdog run to the Great 8. This explains why Ohio State never could become popular in this are, too many teams.

Pittsburgh (includes Wheeling, WV)
1. Steelers. Before the 70s (when they won 4 titles in 6 years), they won nothing and still had a fan base. The 70s pretty much made the Steelers #1 in the area. They always get big time press and their games sell out and are always on TV. Steelers and Browns have 2 of the best fan bases in all of sports.

2. Pitt/WVU football. The annual "Backyard Brawl" is a big game here. Pittsburgh and Morgantown is only an hour from each other.

Pitt football was always popular (especially the Tony Dorsett days of the 1970s). They had some hard times in the 1990s, but it has changed with Walt Harris. They get good crowds, but no sellouts (except when WVU comes). This is attributed to the move from Pitt Staduim to Heniz Field.

West Virginia football is religion in the state. The coaching job is the #2 biggest job in the state (behind Governor) and the #2nd favorite son (behind Robert Byrd) They always sell out and throughout the year, people are always discussing the Mountaineers.

3. Pirates. Believe it or don't, the Pirates at one point were a winning franchise especially in the 60s and 70s(when they had to share the city with the Steelers). They had their last great run in the early 90s), but they really never did sell out(they had good crowds though). They don't get too much press now and PNC Park doesn't sell out too often.

4. Penguins. During the 1990s, they were tied for #1 with the Steelers. Hell even Ohio loved them. Now since economics have crippled the franchise, they don't win anymore but attendance is still okay. I hope a CBA is passed and Pittsburgh gets a new arena. They deserve it, they were the last team to bring a title to the Golden Triangle.

5. Pitt Basketball. They are just picking up steam but 3 straight Sweet 16s have made them a favorite. BTW, they grazed Pitt Stadium to build Peterson Event Center.

Columbus
1. OSU football. The #1 team in Ohio actually. In a state where there is no consistent winner, they are the only one and people tend to hold on to OSU the most. They always sell out and their spring game got 60,000 (as opposed to 10,000- in most other schools). They are a religion here.

2. Blue Jackets. The newbie on the scene, but their PR department may be the best in the NHL. They don't win a lot, but they sell out and people are always wearing their gear.

3. Columbus Crew (MLS). This is America's soccer city. The Crew are MLS most stable franchise and has the first soccer only facility in the country. Even USA has friendlys here.

4. Cleveland/Cincinnati sports. Browns/Bengals and Reds/Indians get followings here, even the Steelers do well here. But the most popular teams are Browns and Reds (like in the rest of the state).

5. Michigan football. I had to put them somewhere but they have a small albiet loyal following in the one place where you would think they would no exist. They are popular in the northwestern part of the state (Toledo is only an hour from Detroit) and have followings all over the state, but OSU has WAY more fans. Their games are always shown on TV here.

Last edited by Dan Snyder; 04 Jun 2004 at 11:29 PM.
Dan Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2004, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

First off, I would like to say that's a great post. You exhibit your vast amount of sports knowledge.

Now, it's a shame that my crappy post will follow

I live in Richmond, Virginia, and this has to be one of the worst states for sports, pro or college.

We don't have ANY pro teams here. The closest that we have are all in Maryland or DC.

The most popular I would say is the Washington Redskins. That in itself says what a shitty place this is for sports

Other than them, I don't see anyone here really wearin jerseys from the teams that are close. I mean honestly, who would wanna represent the Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals, or Baltimore Orioles? None of the teams have won anything recently. It's pathetic to be a sports fan here, and not have any kind of pro events to go to without having to travel for like 4 hours.

On to the college scene. The closest big time program is the Maryland Terrapins, and I don't see any support for them here. I guess the Virginia cavaliers can be considered a big time program, but they suck. Although I would say the Richmond Spiders are probably the best, seeing as they've made the NCAA tourney a few times recently.

The only sport that this place really has a following for is NASCAR, and there's only buzz about that a couple times a year when they hit this circuit. Richmond literally gets closed down for that though. Traffic is a nightmare. Rednecks get drunk.

God damn I hate Virginia
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo

I live in Peterborough, Ontario which is about an hour and a half east of Toronto.

The biggest sports team here, without a doubt, is the Toronto Maple Leafs. There hasn't been a lot of major success for this team in a long time, but there's always large passionate crowds that attend their games. There's a lot of history with the team too, being one of the original six teams in the league. Also, come playoff time probably every other car has a Leaf flag on it.

Second would probably be the Raptors. I don't follow any Toronto sports other than the Leafs, but they seemed to draw a large crowd once Vince Carter came to town.

Then there's the Argo's and the Blue Jays. No one really cares about the Jays anymore. They barely draw crowds to any of the games. The Argos are a decent team. They draw better than the Jays do. They've been mediocre at best for the past couple years though.

Toronto is a hockey town. Plain and simple.
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 01:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

I live near Hammond, Louisiana. This state is NUTS for the Saints and LSU teams (mostly their baseball and football teams).

The Hornets, I think, haven't caught on yet. But, almost every Louisiana sports fan is Die-hard (and I mean really dedicated) Saints and LSU fan.

Wino told me even Mississippi and Alabama are big Saints fans also.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

^ That being said, I'll use my old town: Mobile, Alabama.

There the baseball team is the Atlanta Braves, the football team is the Saints, and no one likes hockey (similar to Hammond).

The big thing is college sports, primarily football. Everyone is one of the following in order: Alabama fan, Auburn fan, Florida/Florida St. fan, fan from another SEC team (Tenn., Vandy, Arkansas, and South Carolina are not included) All others are considered insane.

I must point out that Auburn sucks... understood?
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2004, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

Ricky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Bobby

Well, I live in CT, so I have a few big cities nearby

NYC
1. Yankees. Definately the most popular team throughout the lower half of CT. Their amazing postseason success has drawn them hundreds of thousands of fans in this county alone.

2. Knicks. Not the most successful team, but MSG sells out most evry night for Knicks basketball. Even if they're doing horribly, they still get decent crowds. I say about 6 out of every 10 people I know are Knicks fans.

3. Rangers. I don't know much about hockey, but to my knowledge, they suck, but they still get pretty decent crowds besides horrible standings.

4. Jets/Giants- The second most popular teams in my part of CT. Pretty safe rivalry, not much animosity among fans. Jets do pretty decently evry year as do the Giants, with the exception of the past year. nonetheless, Giants stadium still has a 20 year waiting list for tickets.

Bridgeport
There aren't any proffesional teams in Bridgeport, just a bunch of minor league teams and independent teams. We have the Bridgeport Sound Tigers for hockey (They're a minor league team for and NHL team...not sure which one. There's also the Bridgeport Bluefish, an independent league team. They're pretty good, they won the championship last year. They get good crowds for a 10,000 person stadium.

New Haven
No major league teams in this city as well, but there are minor league teams. I'm not fully aware of all of them, but I know there's the New Haven Ravens, a minor league baseball team for the Rockies (not sure)

that's the sports situation for this neck of the woods...
Old 05 Jun 2004, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon the Loon
4. Jets/Giants- The second most popular teams in my part of CT. Pretty safe rivalry, not much animosity among fans. Jets do pretty decently evry year as do the Giants, with the exception of the past year. nonetheless, Giants stadium still has a 20 year waiting list for tickets.
Thats a good descrpition of Reds and Indians fans here, little to no animosity though the annual interleague game is a big deal.

Do you know why Yankee and Met fans tend to hate each other?
Old 05 Jun 2004, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

Ricky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFersRicky Bobby will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Coleman
Do you know why Yankee and Met fans tend to hate each other?
I don't really hate the Mets, actually...what's to hate about the Mets? They suck and pose absolutely no threat. I think other NY fans feel the way you say is because we've met on the "grand-daddy of them all" in 2000....that was a big damn deal...

but there really isnt that much animosity, unless it's friendly joking around btween my friends and I ....it's not like I'm gonna rape and kill every Mets fan I say. I reserve that for Red Sox fans
Old 06 Jun 2004, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Speaking of Red Sox, you live in CT, who is more popular in the state?
Old 06 Jun 2004, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
I WANNA GO FAST!!!!

^^
what is this, the Grand INquisition?

seriously though, it all depends where you are in the state. IN my part of CT (Fairfield county on the "panhandle") there's mostly Yankees fans but a few survivors who manage to support the BoSox. From here, it progressively gets to be less Yankees fans to more Red Sox fans as you head up towards Massachussetts. But I still wear my Yankee gear up there anyways
Old 06 Jun 2004, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I live in Kitchener Ontario. Its about 45mins south of Toronto. Just like what Igloo said, its all about the Leafs. Thats probably the reason I hate them so much. Because every single person doesn't shut up about them. The fans are crazy about them, and its next to impossible to get a ticket. Too bad the team doesn't feel the same way about their fans...

I really can't say how popular the Raptors are? I don't follow them at all. I have no idea what kind of crowd they draw.

Nobody cares about the Jays anymore. A big crowd for them is like 30k and they skydome can fit like 70k. Pretty sad....but what do you expect having a shitty team in a shitty stadium.

I'll throw in the Toronto Rock in there too. Lacross is starting to get noticed alot more. And I heard its pretty hard to get a ticket. I haven't been to a game yet, but I really would want to go.
Old 06 Jun 2004, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Greatest Of All Time

-Tiga- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to -Tiga-

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNLEY
I live in Kitchener Ontario. Its about 45mins south of Toronto. Just like what Igloo said, its all about the Leafs. Thats probably the reason I hate them so much. Because every single person doesn't shut up about them. The fans are crazy about them, and its next to impossible to get a ticket. Too bad the team doesn't feel the same way about their fans...

Its the exact same thing here in London, im tired of people riding Maple Leafs cock all year, and everyone hates me cause im a Fylers Fan
-Tiga- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2004, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNLEY
Nobody cares about the Jays anymore. A big crowd for them is like 30k and they skydome can fit like 70k. Pretty sad....but what do you expect having a shitty team in a shitty stadium.
The only time the Jays get a decent crowd is when they play Boston or New York and a bunch of fans come up from the states.
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2004, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
In Todd We Trust

The Return OfSP Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...

i live in the heart of downtown Vancouver, and obviously the Canucks are the only thing that matters here. with almost 17 000 season ticket holders, you cant get a ticket. as for other sports, every body remembers the grizzlies, basketball and canada it just doesnt work. Vancouver Ravens get pathetic crowds. B.C. lions are the centre of attention once hockey is over, but the dome is pretty empty most nights. so basically this is a hockeycity.

The Return OfSP is offline   Reply With Quote