ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

It's time for that age old question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2004, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default It's time for that age old question

Do you think soccer will ever hit it big in the US (and Canada for that matter)?

Now if you were to ask me in 1990, I would have said hell no.

But today, I think even though there are miles to go, the winds are changing. The US team has qualified for every World Cup since 1990 including advancing to the Round of 16 in 1994 and the Group of 8 stage in 2002. Whenever a champions league game is shown on ESPN, it gets good ratings and also the biggest youth sport in the US is soccer.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I don't see it happening anytime soon, and I hope it doesn't happen.

People are always bitching about slow paced sports (even though what i'm going to say isn't true). There like baseball is to boring...it takes to long between pitches. Football is boring....it takes to long between plays. Can you imagain if soccer was shown on espn, fox, or abc all the time?
Old 07 May 2004, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
I don't see it happening anytime soon, and I hope it doesn't happen.

People are always bitching about slow paced sports (even though what i'm going to say isn't true). There like baseball is to boring...it takes to long between pitches. Football is boring....it takes to long between plays. Can you imagain if soccer was shown on espn, fox, or abc all the time?
Thats the #1 drawback of why soccer isn't too big here.

You can also say that the quality of play isn't too good.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

This is off topic, but I don't understand why hockey isn't more popular in the U.S. It has all the elements people are looking for. Its fast pace with fighting and tons of hitting. Plus, the U.S seems to developing some good talent now. You guys kicked out ass in the junior championship. So hopefully with more American players it will get more noticed.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
This is off topic, but I don't understand why hockey isn't more popular in the U.S. It has all the elements people are looking for. Its fast pace with fighting and tons of hitting. Plus, the U.S seems to developing some good talent now. You guys kicked out ass in the junior championship. So hopefully with more American players it will get more noticed.
Why hockey isn't more popular in the US is a damn travesty and disgrace.

I can tell you off the bat, ESPN is mostly to blame due to them buying the rights to the NBA. Hockey is viewed as a "cult" sport and sportscenter dedicates more time to the NBA playoffs despite there being noting worth of note about it this year.

During January and Feburary, there are 80% NBA highlights and 5% hockey and the hockey ones are usually fights and crappy goals.

Also prices for tickets in some cities (especially for the Blue Jackets) are way too much for a working family, IMO.
Old 07 May 2004, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Soccer will never be big in US. The womens league folded allready. It had a chance to get big, when the world cup was here, and then when the women won the gold medal or something and that chick took off her shirt. That was it though, that is the height of popularity. The thing is, the US doesn't look at it has a seasonal sport. We see it has a special occasion, or has that fake football game that your kids play. It's not something adults play. It's what you do when you're a kid and you outgrow it and get into real sports later on in high school.

Hockey isn't as popular because there are too many canadian and european players. It's true. There's no stars, Gretzky is gone. And it's too damn hard to watch. But in places where kids play hockey instead of soccer, it's plenty popular. For me, I lived in SD, and even with the sharks going to the division championship, I could care less. But they do have some pretty rabid fans.

Football is Life.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo

Football is Life.
College Football is life
Old 07 May 2004, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo

Hockey isn't as popular because there are too many canadian and european players. It's true. There's no stars, Gretzky is gone. And it's too damn hard to watch. But in places where kids play hockey instead of soccer, it's plenty popular. For me, I lived in SD, and even with the sharks going to the division championship, I could care less. But they do have some pretty rabid fans.
The thing is there will probably never be a player like Gretzky. Or if there is...it won't be any time soon. Gretzky brought hockey to the West coast so I can see you saying that. I don't think that way though, just because hockey is like football you the U.S. I don't think one player can save the league. The thing is that the league is to watered down and thats probably why you think there aren't many super stars. There is alot, just not enough to fill 30 teams.

And about what Norm said about tickets is very true. Hopefully whenever they figure about the cba they can get the ticket prices worked out. No family can afford to go to a hockey game anymore. And if you do go your up at the top where you can't see anything. The only people you see in the lower levels is business men with their blond bitches. People who aren't even hockey fans.
Old 07 May 2004, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

I know this is off topic but soccer, as well as any sport, will never be as big in America as soccer is in England. Once, a British man needed a kidney and was only able to get one if he signed an agreement denouncing his team and praising his team's (well, his old team's) rival. Only under those conditions would his brother give him a kidney.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Jaden is on a distinguished road

Three reasons YOUTHS play it.

1. Cheap. mom has to buy a $20 pair of shoes and a $6 pair of shin guards. Hockey costs hundreds of dollars...baseball bats and gloves cost upwrads of $50 a piece...football is also expensive.

2. Low injury risk for little Timmy or Sally.

3. It's convienant for Mom.

When kids get older and realize on their own how mind-numbingly boring it is, they say "screw this" and go play football or baseball, or what have you.

Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2004, 12:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond

I'd say its possible... with the growing *Puts on liberal voice* Latin-American community *Takes off liberal voice* I'd say that its going to get a bit bigger...
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2004, 12:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Shooter Magavin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shooter Magavin Send a message via MSN to Shooter Magavin

Nope, because soccer is gay.
Shooter Magavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2004, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Frills

Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Nick Saban , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden
Three reasons YOUTHS play it.

Low injury risk for little Timmy or Sally.

When kids get older and realize on their own how mind-numbingly boring it is, they say "screw this" and go play football or baseball, or what have you.
This reminds me of my brothers Jim and Jon (niether of whom are winos) Jim cleated one guy in the chest (on the other team: he isn't that stupid) and was bit, I'm kidding the guy bit him, through two shirts and drew blood. Both went to the emergency room.

Jon was kicked in the knee (I have always assumed on accident). He was out the rest of the season and later needed surgery. All due to a kick 3 minutes and 55 seconds into the 1st game of the year.

Low risk my ass.
Nick Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2004, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Soccer will never be big in the U.S. because it's just not the kind of sport most americans would like. Not because it's slow, (look at golf), but because, well, I dont think most americans see the point in watching some guys run arund and kick a ball. I also think that it is not popular in the U.S. because it is so low scoring, and will probably never change, while in sports like baseball and hockey we are starting to see games where the score is like 7-6. I think the reason why Soccer is the biggest youth sport in the U.S. is because Soccer is one of the few youth sports out there that appeals to mom. The reason, mom thinks that little timmy cant get hurt playing soccer. But as soon as little timmy turns into big timmy, he sees how stupid soccer is, and quits it to play football or basketball.
Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2004, 10:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
WOOOOOOOO!

Shooter Magavin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shooter Magavin Send a message via MSN to Shooter Magavin

Don't diss golf now..golf is the best..and the most expensive..I just got new irons for a grand.
Shooter Magavin is offline   Reply With Quote