ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Show your respect for one of the greatest QB's to ever play

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2004, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default Show your respect for one of the greatest QB's to ever play

"We're going to throw the ball,
and we don't care who knows it."

--Dan Fouts, 1979

^that's a ballsy statement, and from a man who could back it up. I was going to write a huge tribute to Dan Fouts, and when doing my research, I found out somebody allready did the work for me. So let me proudly present to you, a brief history of one of the greatest passers in the history of football.

Quote:
Yes, the Chargers had Don Coryell, the greatest offensive mind in pro football.

Yes, they had the most productive trio of pass catchers ever to play on the same team.

They even had Pro Bowl running backs and offensive linemen.

But without Dan Fouts, it rarely seemed to matter.

Without Fouts, the Chargers usually didn't win. Whether James Harris, Ed Luther, or Mark Herrmann were at the helm, the Chargers simply couldn't challenge opponents as they could with Fouts. When Fouts was healthy for an entire season, as he was from 1979-1982, the Chargers made the playoffs and were legitimate Super Bowl contenders.* When he was sporadically injured, as from 1983-1986, San Diego was unable to compete in the highly talented AFC West.

Fouts rarely seems to get his due credit as one of the greatest QBs of all time, probably because he never won a Super Bowl. Despite throwing for 43,040 yards, 254 touchdowns, and leading some of the most thrilling comebacks in the history of the game, Fouts' presence is minimal in books and magazines on "great NFL quarterbacks." He is somehow not even mentioned in the NFL Films Best Ever Quarterbacks documentary.

He didn't have the elusiveness of Montana or Cunningham. He didn't have the sheer arm strength of Elway or Marino. What Fouts did have, however, was the intelligence required to run the most complicated offense in pro football. And he had the toughness, competitive drive, and daring to challenge any defense in the NFL.

"I fear Dan Fouts more than I fear Joiner or Chandler because of Dan Fouts' gall, forcing the ball in there and allowing hs receivers to make great catches," said Los Angeles Raiders All-Pro Cornerback Mike Haynes in 1983. "I've never seen a quarterback who dares you to intercept his passes like he does. He has three super receivers that he believes in, and even if they're covered like a blanket, he's going to force the ball in there." 2

Four years into Fouts' career, no one would have pegged him as a future hall of famer. His early years in San Diego were marked by losing seasons, insufficient supporting casts, and contract turmoil which actually caused him to announce his retirement in 1977. The man was not exactly rocketing toward stardom.

But things quickly changed with the hiring of Don Coryell in 1978.* In Fouts, Coryell instantly recognized the traits required pilot his aerial assault.* The daring. The leadership. The ability to quickly scan the field while back-pedalling straight back in the pocket. And the ability to make the right decision with the football.

Under Coryell, Fouts began to get noticed, punctuating the 1978 season with a 369-yard passing game in a 45-24 romp at Houston. At the time, 369 yards was thought to be "a career day" for the young QB. In the future, this would be just another day at the office.

1979 was Fouts' breakthrough season. True to his daring, competitive nature, he entered the preseason brashly stating, "We're throwing the ball, and we don't care who knows it."* And while everyone did know it, few teams could do much to stop the Chargers' vaunted attack. Fouts went on to have the most productive season of any quarterback in NFL history up until that time, throwing for 4,082 yards. He led the NFL in quarterback rating (82.6) and threw for 24 touchdowns.

Feature stories were written about him in Sport magazine, Sports Illustrated, and even Time magazine (see Articles page for each).* Dan Fouts had undoubtedly arrived, and he planned on hanging around.

And hang around he did.* In 1980, with the addition of a healthy Kellen Winslow, Fouts again had the most productive season of any passer in history, this time throwing for 4,715 yards and 30 touchdowns. He had eight 300-yard passing games, including three games of over 370 yards and one 444-yard outburst against the New York Giants. Each week defenses strategized new ways to harass Fouts and disrupt the Chargers' sophisticated offense, and each week Fouts stood his ground in the pocket and defied all efforts to stop him.

By 1981, critics had begun to take jabs at the Chargers and their penchant for passing. Most preseason prognosticators felt that surely, at some point, defenses would find a consistent method for shutting down San Diego's offense. The Denver Broncos and Super Bowl champion Oakland Raiders were the odds-on favorites for winning the AFC West. Air Coryell, it was thought, would eventually have its wings clipped.

Not quite. Fouts again broke his passing yardage mark, this time throwing for 4,802 yards. He had also significantly improved his interception percentage (24 TDs/24 INTs in 1979; 30 TDs/24 INTs in 1980; 33 TDs/17 INTs in 1981) and showed a newfound consistency in 1981, passing for over 290 yards in 12 of the 16 regular season games. These accomplishments were also achieved without veteran wideout John Jefferson. Wes Chandler, J.J.'s replacement, was new to the Chargers' offense and admittedly "ran straight down the field" for most passing plays during the 1981 season. As was usually the case, the Chargers reflected Fouts' success, defying the preseason predictions and becoming the only team in the NFL to repeat as divisional champions.

1982? More of the same.* In fact, had the season not been cut short seven games by the players' strike, Dan may well have had his greatest season ever. His 1982 passing totals, when projected over a regualar 16-game season, would have yielded 5,120 yards passing, 30 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions.* He had back-to-back 400-yard passing games, throwing for 450 yards against San Francisco and 435 yards in a Monday night contest at home versus Cincinnati. Critics and fans alike were now acknowledging that, regardless of the opposing defense's strategy, the Chargers' offense was nearly unstoppable with Fouts at quarterback.

In 1983, however, four years of relentless pass rushing began to take their toll on Dan and the rest of the Chargers' offense. Fouts missed all or part of 9 different games in 1983, and the Chargers finished a disappointing 6-10. When Fouts was on the field, the team was clearly energized and as competitive as ever. However, when Fouts was spelled by back-up QB Ed Luther, the Chargers often resembled an ordinary offense with above average receivers.*

1983 clearly proved that Fouts was the key figure in Coryell's attack, and this trend continued to be evident in the '84 and '85 seasons. When he was healthy, the Chargers were very competitive. In 1984 they suffered two heartbreaking losses to the L.A. Raiders, and even defeated the 11-0 Miami Dolphins 30-24 in overtime. When Fouts was out of the lineup for most of the final four games, the Chargers were 1-3. In a little over 12 games, he still threw for 3,740 yards, and was on his way to once again making a serious run at the 5,000 yard mark.

Dan closed out his career on a team in transition. Coryell left his head coaching post midway through the 1986 season, and Fouts continued to pilot the Chargers' attack under new head coach Al Saunders. The team faltered in '86, then started quickly in '87 with an 8-1 record. The wheels soon fell off the wagon, however; Air Coryell was no longer, and the Chargers seemingly ran out of fuel midway to their destination. After a promising start, the '87 Chargers failed to reach the playoffs.

Dan Fouts retired after the 1987 season, leaving a trail of touchdowns, comebacks, and tough losses in his wake. Nearly everyone who played with Fouts cites him as being the fiercest competitor they've ever known. Bill Walsh once called him the toughest man in professional football. He has now assumed his rightful position in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and his legend will only grow as future quarterbacks try and fail to achieve the heights of Dan Fouts and Air Coryell.

1McDermott, Barry.* Sport Illustrated, August 20, 1979.* Supercharger is Ready to Blast, p. 14.

2Athlon's Pro Football, 1984 Annual. pp. 26, 134.
credit this guy

^Power and grace

Look at Dan finding the open reciever in the midst of chaos. This is pocket presence.

Confidence.

Dan is getting ready to unleash another td.

A legend.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2004, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

He looks like Kneel O'Dollar Sign in those pictures.

I have unlimited respect for him and many QB's back then, because back then you were allowed to RUSH the passer. Or should I say ROUGH the passer. And Fouts, who played on a team that was very pass-oriented, took a lot of punishment and put up amazing numbers. And don't forget there were fewer games played in the 1970's. The 16-game regular season didn't come until '76 or '78, and he still put up over 40,000 passing yards. Fouts is an NFL legend and should be respected.

And he isn't an asshole like Barry "Juice" Bonds. Just had to slam him there.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2004, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Fouts was a good one. Him and Kellen Winslow was the best QB/TE group ever.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

when I think of the top five qb's of all time, Fouts ranks fifth.....but he does rank fifth.....and that puts him ahead of a lot of great qbs.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2004, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Jaden is on a distinguished road

Fouts was an all-time great, but fifth? Really?

Montana......Young......Elway.......Favre.......Ma rino........Nameth.......Unitas..........Aikman... ...Thiesmann......Simms........Kelly...........Bra dshaw

I's put hima round the top 10, but those names above have something he doesn't........at least a Super Bowl APPEARANCE, an dmost have multiple rings.

You could argue that they had better weapons around them, but still.........that's a hell of a list to put him in the company of.

Copywrite Good Ol JR.....Fouts was tougher than a $2 steak though.

Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2004, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden
Montana......Young......Elway.......Favre.......Ma rino
........Nameth.......Unitas..........Aikman......T hiesmann
......Simms........Kelly...........Bradshaw
Montana.....#1 in my book.....
Marino......
Elway......
Favre.....
Fouts......
Aikman.....
Unitas....
Bradshaw.....
Young.....
Staubach......

Namath was more famous for his mouth and one win......overall, he was average at best.....he couldn't have started in today's game.....not enough arm strength.....

Theisman.....system qb who's a better announcer than a passer.....he had two above average seasons and other than that he's Elvis Grbac.....

Kelly.....get real.....choke artist who was also a system qb......Frank Reich exposed Jim Kelly for the fraud that he is.....

Simms.....qb with excellent touch, but he was the beneficiary of Parcell's system and some great defenses, above average recievers and rb's.....

heck, I don't like Dan Fouts.....but when you list qb's it'd be silly to put those four in the same class as him.....

Stabler and Plunkett should rank higher than those guys.....and I absolutely hate the Raiders.....

Old 16 Apr 2004, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Quote:
Kelly.....get real.....choke artist who was also a system qb......Frank Reich exposed Jim Kelly for the fraud that he is.....
Kelly is in the Hall of Fame. Fouts never even got to a Super Bowl. Kelly made it to four. Lose or not, that's FOUR. What did Frank Reich ever do outside of ONE GAME?

Quote:
Aikman.....Bradshaw.....
How in the name of sanity do they rank below Fouts? Unbelievable....

Old 16 Apr 2004, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Fouts made the playoffs 4 times in his 15 year career, never making it past the second round. Like I said, Kelly mad eit to four Super Bowls. I don't care if they lost all of them.

A guy nobody has mentioned, and is in the top 5 in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR QB category, is Fran Tarkington. Shit...even I forgot to mention him.

Old 16 Apr 2004, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Aikman had Emmitt Smith (the leading rusher of all time, just in case you forgot).....he had the #1 defense three years in a row.....he had Moose, he had the tight end whose name escapes me for some reason.....he had one of the best offensive lines ever.....he had Irvin.....he had approximately eight, maybe as high as ten HOFer's in the same lineup with him.....

I don't necessarily like the Cowboys, but that one is too easy.....

Frank Reich proved that the system was Kelly's friend.....and Kelly had some pretty good danged recievers (Lofton, Reed) along with Thurman Thomas and offensive linemen also.....Reich was able to do the same thing as Kelly when given the opportunity within that system.....

Bradshaw won four superbowls, but he was (and IS)clueless about how to be a great player.....the only thing Bradshaw did that made him great was that he didn't screw up by throwing int's all of the time.....trust me, that defense won those super bowls.....not to mention that nine other players from that team are in the HOF as well....

Exo could argue this better for me because he's the Fouts fan.....I'm just saying, Fouts had Kellen Winslow.....and that was all.....so the numbers that he put up were without having a great surrounding cast.....

just like Marino.....and there is no argument against Marino.....that's all.....

btw, I didn't mention Fran Tarkenton for two reasons.....#1 being I have never really watched any footage of him.....but from what little I've read, I'd still put these guys ahead of him.....totally different era, totally different game.....

Old 16 Apr 2004, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Since I'm a youngin and never had the priveledge of watching a lot of these guys mentioned, I'll just add 2 cents that I'm 100% sure of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeo
he had the tight end whose name escapes me for some reason
That would be Jay Novachek

STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2004, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

Watch it on Bradshaw, motherfuckers! LOL!

You're all wrong on the most overrated QB. It is Steve Young. Without Rice, Owens, and the other great players that SF had he would have had the same amount of sucess that he had in TAMPA BAY. If he was so great, how come he sucked in Tampa? Simple answer, he wasn't anything special. How many SB's did he win, one. How many did Montana win, four. And one, maybe two, were without RICE. Young is the most overrated QB, ever.

Oh, I'm a Steelers fan. Did I mention that?

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote