ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NFL adding more playoff teams?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2004, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default NFL adding more playoff teams?

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A proposal to let two more teams into the NFL playoffs could have a chance at passing at the league meetings after all.

The Kansas City Chiefs will propose an increase in postseason qualifiers from 12 to 14 at this week's meetings. The NFL Competition Committee is against it, and the committee carries much sway.

But several team officials said Sunday they would like to see more playoff teams.

"I'm for anything that gives my team a better chance to make the playoffs," San Francisco 49ers coach Dennis Erickson said.

"I think two more teams in the playoffs would increase the excitement in those cities," added Miami Dolphins president Eddie Jones.

Bob Kraft, owner of the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, co-sponsored the proposal a year ago, when it was voted down. He's indicated he still favors it.

But Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons, doesn't expect passage of the proposal.

"We feel like the current system has worked very well," McKay said. "The playoff number at 12 is a good number and, for competitive reasons, we don't recommend expansion."

The biggest concern is that with 14 teams, only the team with the best record in each conference would get a first-round bye.

"Yes, that would create a potential unreasonable advantage for the No. 1 seed," McKay said. "When you look at the advantage for the bye of the one and two seeds, certainly you see it. To then give it to the No. 1 seed alone definitely is a concern to all of us."

Increasing the playoff field requires 24 of 32 votes. So does making permanent instant replay to aid officials, which also is on the agenda.

That is considered more likely to happen than adding two playoff berths. If it doesn't pass, well ...

"There's always plan 1-B," said John Mara, executive vice president of the New York Giants. "We think we have more than enough votes to get it in permanently, but if we feel there's enough opposition, we're open to compromise."

That compromise probably would be approving replay for five years. It was first used to help officials in the 1986 season, but was voted out in 1992. It returned, with the current system of coaches' challenges, in 1999.

In 2001, the format was approved for three years. Now, the competition committee has voted 8-0 for permanent installment.

"I have my reservations, because we've been hurt by replay a couple of times," Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said. "So yes, I'm for it, but I can see some people still wondering."

Replay could include a third coaches' challenge, too, but only if a team is successful on its first two challenges. That must be voted on by the owners, too.

Other items on the agenda include:

requiring each team to have at least one possession in overtime;

discussing upcoming negotiations to extend the collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Associa tion beyond its expiration date after the 2007 season;

discussing negotiations on a new television contract. The current one has two seasons left and commissioner Paul Tagliabue already is preparing to talk with the networks about the next deal;

adding a 15-yard penalty for excessive on-field celebrations, particularly those involving more than one player and those that appear choreographed;

extending the revenue-sharing agreement for logos and other licensed items

extending by two days the one-week postseason period to interview assistant coaches for head coaching positions;

adding an interview process for front-office personnel during that time period.

espn.com
--------------------

Do you like this idea? And do you like the other ideas they have?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

This is stupid, I don't see the need to add 2 more teams. If you do that then you start seeing teams who go 8-8 and make the playoffs. It'll just water down the talent in my opinion.

I say stick with the current system.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Chiefs have backed off the proposal.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2004, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

I really don't mind it. The system right now is working, and works very well. Especially when compared to the NBA and MLB playoffs. The NBA has too many teams(teams with losing records make it in) and the fucking post-season way too long. The MLB doesn't have enough tems involved in the post-season.

But, allowing two more teams would put the emphasis on the bye and the number one seed, which is why I support expanding the playoff teams.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote