ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Duce A Steeler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2004, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold
Default Duce a Steeler

Tuesday, March 9, 2004

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Free-agent tailback Duce Staley, the top unrestricted player at his position, could take a bus across the Pennsylvania Turnpike to reach his new home.

Fitting, since the former Philadelphia Eagles star will take the place of "The Bus" in the Pittsburgh Steelers' lineup.

Staley on Tuesday night signed a five-year, $14 million deal with the Steelers, ESPN.com has learned, and the team hopes he will resurrect a ground game that uncharacteristically ranked as the second worst in 2003. Ironically, one reason Staley opted for the Steelers over the Detroit Lions, with whom he visited Tuesday, was the presence of Jerome Bettis, aka "The Bus."

The contract will pay Staley, 29, a $4 million signing bonus. Over its first four seasons, the contract is worth $12 million, and then the base salary in 2008 drops to $2 million. Pittsburgh had pursued Staley, 29, ardently the past two days and made him a top priority.

His signing means that the Steelers will release Amos Zereoue, a part-time starter in each of the last two seasons. Bettis recently restructured his contract, reducing his base salary to $1 million, to remain with the team for at least one more season.

"It was obvious the Steelers really wanted Duce," said agent Derrick Harrison. "And it was pretty obvious, too, that Duce admires Jerome and wants to play with him. He thinks they'll make for a great twosome."

Make no mistake about it, though -- the Steelers recruited Staley to be the starter. Not in three decades has the Pittsburgh ground attack been as pitiful as in 2003 and Staley will be counted upon to provide instant improvement. The Steelers traditionally have been a power running team and Staley's slashing style should make for a good fit.

The Tampa Bay Bucs were among the other teams interested in Staley, but they opted to sign free agent Charlie Garner earlier Tuesday.

A former South Carolina star, Staley was a third-round choice of the Eagles in the '97 draft. He has started in 65 of his 98 appearances and rushed for 4,807 yards and 22 touchdowns on 1,200 carries. Staley also is an accomplished receiver and has 275 career catches for 2,498 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Three times in his career -- 1998, 1999 and 2002 -- Staley rushed for more than 1,000 yards and he started double-digit games in four seasons. Last summer, he boycotted all of training camp, and that cost him his starting job. Amid rumors that he would be traded, however, Staley worked hard once he reported and coach Andy Reid agreed the Eagles needed him around.

Staley started only four games in 2003, the fewest since his rookie campaign, and ran for 463 yards. But when starter Brian Westbrook went down with an injury, Staley regained his starting spot late in the season and performed well through the playoffs.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

-------------------------------

Well, I guess this is a good move, I'm not too happy about the price they paid for him but it's an improvement none the less.

Anyway thoughts?
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2004, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

I'm somewhat pleased. We got a proven back. And we also get a north-south back, like Bettis. But, with his signing, we have spent a good portion of what little money we had. With Shitty Amos and Washed-up Gildon gone, we get some room, but not much. The other thing that troubles me is that this means the Bus won't be the numver one back in his final season in Pittsburgh. That town LOVES the Bus. I love the Bus. The good news is, we got a running game this year, as long as our line is healthy.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2004, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Well, there went one of the options for the 'Boys at running back

Good signing for the Steelers though. Staley should fit in well with that offense. Not only do they have a great WR group, but he has good hands is great comin out of the backfield. He'll definitely be a threat for opposing defenses.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2004, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth

Exactly as Stick said, very good fit in that offense... he finally gives them some speed and power, that Bettis hasn't shown since his first couple seasons, I personally, think the contract is a good amount, for a player of his calabre... not too great, not too bad, just a solid RB... looking forward to seeing what he can do in 2004.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2004, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default The Duece is Loose

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (March 9, 2004) -- Running back Duce Staley signed a five-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Staley spent the last seven seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, and is expected to boost the Steelers' running game, which ranked 31st last year. That was the worst ranking under coach Bill Cowher.

Staley's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said the Steelers were a favorite because his client rooted for them as a child. Steinberg also was negotiating with the Detroit Lions.

The 5-foot-11, 220-pound Staley, a 1997 third-round draft pick out of South Carolina, has rushed for 4,807 yards on 1,200 carries. He's also caught 275 passes for 2,498 yards.

Last season, Staley held out of training camp trying to renegotiate the final year of his contract with the Eagles. When he returned, Staley found himself in a three-man rotation at halfback with Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter and gained only 463 yards on 96 carries; he also caught 36 passes.

Staley will compete with Jerome Bettis for the starting job. The Steelers may release running back Amos Zereoue to make room for Staley.

---

How do you think this is going to impact the eagles running back rotation? Was it even succesfull enough to keep up and can Westbrook and Buckhalter carry the load? Also, without a serious running game and without being able to pick up TO for a serious recieving threat, what's going to happen to Philly's offense? I think McNabb is going to have to carry an even bigger load this season.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2004, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

oops, thanks error.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote