ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Greatest Basketball Player Of All Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2004, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth
Default Greatest Basketball Player Of All Time?

Of course, I have to say Michael Jordan, what this guy did during his era, against the Larry Bird's, the Magic Johnson's and the Isiah Thomas's... is just incredible, all the competition he had, and how dominant he still was... he had a pure shot, a knack for the game, and just raw talent... nothing anyone can ever compete with... not to mention the 6 championships with Chicago. What's so amazing, is that Michael didn't make his junior high basketball team... he kept getting in the gym, profecting his shot, even during school, he would sneak in the gym and play, which he numerous times got in trouble for.

I don't think any player will be able to touch Jordans statistics, or the level of heart he had for the game and respect for his teammates... let the statistics speak for themselves :

30.1 PPG
6.2 RPG
5.3 APG
2.3 SPG
.835 FT%
.497 FG%
38.3 MPG

Those are his main career numbers... not to mention :
Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1987-88, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1997-98)

I believe there is no argument that Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time, but I'm sure people have different opinions.

What I wanna know is, in your opinion, who is the greatest basketball player of all time, and give some facts and statistics supporting your opinion.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2004, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Basketball has diffrent positions and you can't compare some, instead here is my starting 5.

C-Wilt Chamberlain: 30 ppg, 21 rpg, truly the games first dominant player
F- Larry Bird: Ultimate competetor and trash talker. Lynchpin of the Celtics 3 titles in the 80s
F-Elgin Baylor: scored 23,149 points in only 846 games (27.4 ppg).
G- Michael Jordan: reasons above stated
G-Oscar Robertson: averaged a triple double his career

Bench
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dominique Wilkins, Wes Unseld, Bob Cousy, Magic Johnson

Coach
Red Auerbach
Old 08 Mar 2004, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Coleman
G-Oscar Robertson: averaged a triple double his career
should read.....averaged a triple double over an entire season.....but not for his career.....regardless, a great player.....

different eras, different rules and various other factors have to come into play here.....and I think that makes this nearly impossible to determine.....however, I will put forth the best argument I have, as well as a few reasons why I cannot agree with you, Coder.....

In Michael Jordan, the NBA had the same thing they had before, and will always have.....(hear me out, I'm not dissing Jordan).....extremely athletic, tremendous leaping ability, decent shooting abilities, good leadership qualities (for the most part) and someone they could put on the cover of Wheaties boxes as a poster child.....he was a product for the highlight reel, someone the NBA wanted to be the face of the league.....and he did a darned good job of it.....you stated the career stats, and they are very impressive......

however, as Norm stated, you have so many different equations that come into play because of the position differences, etc.....

Michael Jordan is, without doubt, the greatest talent and the best shooting guard of all time.....but I think he has to be considered that.....the greatest shooting guard of all time.....

I think that Bob Cousy is the greatest point guard of all time.....
I believe that Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest center of all time.....
I believe that Larry Bird is the greatest small forward.....
and I believe that Karl Malone and Wes Unseld tie for the greatest power forward honors.....

however, I believe that one man stands above them all when it comes to the overall greatest player of all time.....that man is Magic Johnson.....here's why.....

Magic Johnson recreated how to be a point guard.....he made it okay for bigger guys to play the guard position, and he was able to play the smaller guys on defense......Magic could have played the power forward quite capably.....he was, after all, 6'9" tall.....he could have played small forward.....he could shoot from the outside, you know.....he could have played the shooting guard and been a scorer......

what is widely regarded as Magic Johnson's best game ever occured with him at the center position.....a 42 point scoring effort in game six, 1980.....but that wasn't all.....the line actually read 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals.....in that series against the Sixers, he played all five positions.....he was the finals MVP.....and he was a ROOKIE.....

oh, I could go on about Magic Johnson, and I will if someone wants me to.....but the summation point is this....to be considered the best of all time, you have to be many things in my eyes.....you have to be a team player (he is #2 all time in assists, has the highest assist per game career average in NBA history) who can elevate your teammates' level of play (James Worthy is a HOF'er based upon Magic Johnson's abilities) and lead them to a championship (five times NBA champion).....you have to be able to step up when the team needs a leader (even as a rook in game six, he led his team) and take over when they need that as well (three time MVP of the league).....

you have to transcend the game.....the NBA Finals weren't even on live television when he came into the league, and they had great stars already (Dr. J, Kareem, Dawkins).....he and Bird basically forced them to become primetime.....

you have to play defense as well as offense (twice led the league in steals).....(19.5 ppg, 11.2 apg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9 spg, 52% fg, .848 ft).....

that's the greatest player of all time, in my book.....thing is, I'm not even really a fan of his.....my two favorite players of all time are Dominique Wilkins and Kendall Gill.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2004, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Jaden is on a distinguished road

Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2004, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

^^^^most entertaining player of all time.....not the greatest......c'mon, you can do better than that..........

Old 09 Mar 2004, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Best in the Game

Alex Rodriguez can only hope to improveAlex Rodriguez can only hope to improveAlex Rodriguez can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Alex Rodriguez

MICHAEL JORDAN..... he was the greatest there is and will ever be and a couple of close seconds are T-mac, Kobe, and Allen Iverson
Alex Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

Im am a huge lakers fan from that 80's period but NO WAY IN HELL is magic the player jordan was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
Michael Jordan is, without doubt, the greatest talent and the best shooting guard of all time.....but I think he has to be considered that.....the greatest shooting guard of all time.....
And in the opinion of all basketball players the GREATEST EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
Magic Johnson recreated how to be a point guard.....he made it okay for bigger guys to play the guard position, and he was able to play the smaller guys on defense......Magic could have played the power forward quite capably.....he was, after all, 6'9" tall.....he could have played small forward.....he could shoot from the outside, you know.....he could have played the shooting guard and been a scorer......
Yeah your probably right there

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
what is widely regarded as Magic Johnson's best game ever occured with him at the center position.....a 42 point scoring effort in game six, 1980.....but that wasn't all.....the line actually read 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals.....in that series against the Sixers, he played all five positions.....he was the finals MVP.....and he was a ROOKIE.....
Ill could dig out squillions of jordans best games but he had a 69 point game against cleveland. But he will be imortalised by the game winning shots he made in 1991 and one of the later titles I can remember the year at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
oh, I could go on about Magic Johnson, and I will if someone wants me to.....but the summation point is this....to be considered the best of all time, you have to be many things in my eyes.....you have to be a team player (he is #2 all time in assists, has the highest assist per game career average in NBA history) who can elevate your teammates' level of play (James Worthy is a HOF'er based upon Magic Johnson's abilities) and lead them to a championship (five times NBA champion).....you have to be able to step up when the team needs a leader (even as a rook in game six, he led his team) and take over when they need that as well (three time MVP of the league).....
Jordan was a team player. He encouraged and got the best out of a collection of aveage players and still managed to drag them to 6 NBA titles. He also could take over for the team when required by being named 6 time Finals MVP (all of the years they won the title.) As well as being named NBA MVP 5 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
you have to transcend the game.....the NBA Finals weren't even on live television when he came into the league, and they had great stars already (Dr. J, Kareem, Dawkins).....he and Bird basically forced them to become primetime.....
Michael helped propel the NBA to the world. Ask stern weather NBA would be as recognised globally without mike. NO CHANCE. Michael jordan became the most recognised sportman on the face of the earth and gave the NBA a presence that has allowed them to charge more money for tv rights and other things. All the players can solely thank michael for the increased money in the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
you have to play defense as well as offense (twice led the league in steals).....(19.5 ppg, 11.2 apg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9 spg, 52% fg, .848 ft).....
This is the quote where you truelly lost me.
The 1987-88 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and record nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection. As well as leading the league 3 TIMES in steals. He finished being 4th in steals per game and 2nd alltime in steals.
(30.1 ppg, 5.3 apg, 6.2 rpg, 2.35 spg, 49% fg, .835 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
that's the greatest player of all time, in my book.....thing is, I'm not even really a fan of his.....my two favorite players of all time are Dominique Wilkins and Kendall Gill.....
Well my favourite was magic and kareem but even I can see jordan true greatness

BTW just to finish on Jordans phenominal stats.
Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player (1987-88, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1997-98)
Ten-time All-NBA First Team selection (1986-87 to 1992-93, 1995-96 to 1997-98)
A member of six Chicago Bulls NBA championship teams (1990-91, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1995-96, 1996-97 and 1997-98)
Six-time NBA Finals Most Valuable Player
The 1987-88 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and record nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection (1987-88 to 1992-93, 1995-96 to 1997-98)
Ranked first in NBA history in scoring average (31.0 ppg), second in steals (2,391), fourth in points (30,652) and in field-goals made (11,513), fifth in free-throws made (7,061), sixth in field-goals attempted (23,010) and eighth in free-throws attempted (8,448)
Holds the NBA record for most seasons leading the league in scoring (10)
Shares the NBA record with Wilt Chamberlain for most consecutive seasons leading the league in scoring (seven, 1986-87 to 1992-93) Imagine if he didnt try baseball he would have won more in a row
Holds the NBA record for most consecutive games scoring in double-digits (842)
Holds the NBA record for most seasons leading the league in field-goals made (10) and attempted (10)
Led the NBA in steals in 1987-88 (3.16 spg), 1989-90 (2.77 spg) and 1992-93 (2.83 spg)
Holds the NBA Finals record for highest single-series scoring average (41.0 ppg in 1993)
Entering the 2002-03 season, ranks as the all-time NBA Finals leader in three-pointers made (42), second in three-point attempts (114), third in points (1,176), fourth in steals (62), fifth in field-goals made (438), sixth in assists (209) and free-throws made (258), seventh in field-goals attempted (911) and eighth in free-throws attempted (320)
Holds the NBA Playoffs record for highest career scoring average (33.4 ppg)
Established an NBA Playoffs record with 63 points against the Boston Celtics on 5/20/86
Ranks as the all-time NBA Playoffs leader in field-goals attempted (4,497), free-throws made (1,463) and attempted (1,766), second in steals (376) and field-goals made (2,188), fifth in assists (1,022), seventh in three-point attempts (446) and ninth in three-pointers made (148)
Participated in 13 NBA All-Star Games (1985, 1987-1993, 1996-98, 2002-03), starting 13 times, and missed another due to injury
Named the MVP of the 1988, 1996 and 1998 NBA All-Star Games

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE
This is the quote where you truelly lost me.
The 1987-88 NBA Defensive Player of the Year and record nine-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection. As well as leading the league 3 TIMES in steals. He finished being 4th in steals per game and 2nd alltime in steals.
(30.1 ppg, 5.3 apg, 6.2 rpg, 2.35 spg, 49% fg, .835 ft)
wasn't saying Jordan didn't play defense, because he did and he did it quite well.....I was just attempting to point out that Magic played defense.....I wasn't necessarily going against Jordan with any of my post, just pointing out why I think Magic is the better of the two.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Jordan was a team player. He encouraged and got the best out of a collection of aveage players and still managed to drag them to 6 NBA titles. He also could take over for the team when required by being named 6 time Finals MVP (all of the years they won the title.) As well as being named NBA MVP 5 times
Jordan became a team player when he realized that he couldn't do it on his own.....it took him six years to realize that.....and, he still never really elevated anyone's game but his own.....the system that Phil Jackson employs allows role players to rally around one superstar, two at the most.....

Old 12 Mar 2004, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

oeo.....when the two carreer highlights are placed together.......its obvious that jordan is a better player than magic....this is fact

G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2004, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

lol.....I realize that it is a tough case to make, Shane.....I was just trying to give a different answer than Jordan, with some stuff to go along with it and stimulate a little bit of conversation.....if not, we would have had a couple of people answer with Jordan and another thread that got two replies..........

wouldn't mind having either of them on a team, for sure.....