ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Garcia put on waivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2004, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default Garcia put on waivers

The 49ers officially notified quarterback Jeff Garcia on Monday night that he will be placed on waivers Tuesday, ESPN.com has learned.

Garcia's release will come before Tuesday 4 p.m. ET deadline for all teams to be in compliance with the NFL's $80.6 million cap ceiling.

The news comes as no surprise after Garcia rejected a cut in his base salary from $9 million to $5 million over the weekend. His cap number had gone beyond $12 million because of an escalator clause that transformed his base salary into the league's franchise number for quarterbacks. Garcia earned in excess of $20 million over the last two seasons -- more than any quarterback.

The clause was put into his contract to give his agent and the 49ers a chance to determine where they stood in their relationship. Garcia, 34, has been to three Pro Bowls in his five seasons with the 49ers and has quarterbacked one of the league's most exciting offenses.

49ers general manager Terry Donahue said last Friday that Garcia's status would be resolved Monday. San Francisco-area media arrived at the team's complex Monday but, late in the day, team officials said there would be no announcement before Tuesday. It is believed that Donahue and agent Steve Baker spoke briefly Monday night about Garcia's status.

The 49ers are in the midst of a tumultuous offseason because of the salary cap. They released left tackle Derrick Deese last week and plan to cut guard Ron Stone later Tuesday. San Francisco also plans to go without free agents Tai Streets and Terrell Owens in its receiving corps, although Owens is technically still with the team because his agent failed to file a timely void in the final three years of his contract by the deadline.

Garcia offered to return if the 49ers made up the $4 million difference in incentives. Instead, they were willing to give back to him $1.5 million if he reached his incentives. He finally said no. His departure will save the 49ers roughly $2 million against the cap.

Garcia's departure will elevate four-year veteran Tim Rattay to the starting spot. A former seventh-round draft choice, Rattay, 26, played well at times last season, winning two of three starts in place of an injured Garcia. He will have a difficult time, though, matching Garcia's numbers.

Signed as a free agent in 1999 after a successful CFL career, Garcia started in 71 of his 74 appearances as a Niner. He completed 1,449 of 2,360 passes for 16,408 yards, with 113 touchdown passes, 56 interceptions and a passer rating of 88.3.

The former San Jose State star threw for more than 3,000 yards three times and had a 4,000-yard season in 2000. He twice threw more than 30 touchdown passes and was named to the Pro Bowl squad on three occasions.

Meanwhile on Monday, Garcia's arraignment on drunken-driving charges was delayed until March 15. He faces two misdemeanor charges from his arrest on Jan. 14. According to San Jose police reports, Garcia's blood-alcohol level was .237 -- nearly three times the legal limit in California -- when he was pulled over.

espn.com
Old 02 Mar 2004, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

well, he will be a good addition for any team that needs a qb.....Dallas maybe?.....I don't see him wanting to be a backup for anyone though.....

however, I don't believe he will make any more money for anyone else.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I don't really want him to go to Dallas. I think he's one of the most overrated QBs in the league. And it seems like he's going to want big money. And Jerry Jones doesn't like to take out his check book.
Old 02 Mar 2004, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

true, but he is a ball control style of QB and that seems to fit Parcell's style more so than the Q they have now.....I just threw Dallas in the hat because I couldn't think of anyone else that really needed a different starter off the top of my head.....now that I've thought about it, the Ravens would probably be a good match for him.....he won't be on the market for long, I bet.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

He'll get some money, but he won't be getting 9 mill or whatever it was he wanted form the 9ers. Garcia is pretty good though. He's put up solid numbers and for a guy his size, been pretty resilient. I could see him going into seatle or arizona or even a place like chicago or pitts. A lot of teams could use him. I think Rattay will do fine if he's the starter. I doubt they're going to sign anybody else to play the postition, since they're still having cap trouble(like they have for the last 10 years) but it's going to hurt losing Streets. He was a nice reciever and was coming up quickly. He kicked Stokes off the team but without him or Owens, or a qb, and with only barlow as back, I can't imagine this team winning more than a handfull of games. It really sucks because they were supposed to be done with the rebuilding process and on their way back to the top, but now they're totally fucked again. Yeah, I like Peterson, but he's not going to win them a championship, much less get them to the playoffs. At least they're trying to keep their D together, for whatever that's worth, they've been hacking it apart for years now.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

Pittsburgh won't take him. We don't got the money and our offense (except this past season) is run first and play defense. The Ravens have enough room to sign Garcia. But the "self-proclaimed genius" Brian Billick probably won't go after him.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

^I was just thinking, since they spent all that time with Stewart, that they might have liked a scrambling/mobile qb.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nothing for now.

_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers_UT_ will continue to be publicly fellated by PWFers
Send a message via Yahoo to _UT_

True, but we don't got the money. And that sucks. Last year made us Steelers fans realize why Stewart was a good QB for us. With a makeshit O-line, Slash had the ability to move around and maybe make a few plays here and there. With Tommy "Stonewall" Maddox, we don't have that mobility, and Garcia would be a nice fir for us. But it irks me that we just don't got the money, we got LBs, a decent d-line, and great recievers. Garcia would have been a nice fit for us.

I did. Remember?? You're just following me around acting like a little bitch posting after every post I put down because...well, because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

You're probably sitting there wishing you had a pic of my kids so you could Photoshop them onto something because that's all you can really do.

Sure...you can take a run at numbfuck SC or plainjane Josh or complete moron Alex or can't get out of his own way Boston...but I don't agree with you about Barry and it's "Rueben Droughns this" "weed that" "your kids this" "Look at me and my halo over my head that."

Whatever. First of all, you don't have any depth of knowledge about any of that stuff, so you're just talking out of your ass. Secondly, you wouldn't be saying any of that shit if Barry Bonds wasn't some roided up freak who you're in love with.

It's fucking gay. I have better things to do than deal with someone who can't even debate a point, rather changes the subject again and again to deflect the fact that he's dead wrong. It's what dumbass 6th graders do...

I honestly don't give a fuck about your opinion. Like I told Alex, they're just words on a screen. I can't believe you don't get that concept...but okay.

I mean...you're the kind of guy that thinks if you yell louder than the other person, you will win a debate. And that's not new either...I've pretty much thought that about you from day one...

I didn't want to put it that way, but since you want to press on...

Lame dude. Just lame. I have better shit to do. You probably should too...but I'm betting you don't...

Late.
_UT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2004, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Tombstone_3
Pittsburgh won't take him. We don't got the money and our offense (except this past season) is run first and play defense. The Ravens have enough room to sign Garcia. But the "self-proclaimed genius" Brian Billick probably won't go after him.
Ravens picked Kyle Boller in the 1st round of last years draft. I see Billick sticking with him, to prove that he can develop a QB.
Old 02 Mar 2004, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Well maybe you are right oeo. From what i'v read and heard, Dallas might be targeting Garcia. I still can't see it happening though. But maybe he's realises that he can't get that kind of money anymore. Even though I don't really like him, and that he wouldn't be my first choice, i'd still take him. And from other reports, it sounds like the Keyshawn trade is almost done. Throw Duce Staley in the mix, and i'm a happy man.