ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NHL's leading scorer sent packing.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default NHL's leading scorer sent packing.....

Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- NHL scoring leader Robert Lang was traded from Washington to the Detroit Red Wings on Friday, another roster shakeup in a losing season for the Capitals.

Lang was dealt to Central Division-leading Red Wings for left wing Tomas Fleischmann and Detroit's first-round choice in the 2004 entry draft and fourth-round choice in the 2006 entry draft.

Lang, a center, is tied for first in scoring with Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis with 74 points. He was signed by the Capitals from the Pittsburgh Penguins in July 2002, brought in to join former Pittsburgh teammate Jaromir Jagr. At the time, he won the richest free-agent contract ever given in the NHL -- five years for $25 million.

But the addition of the new talent -- Jagr had been one of the league's foremost scorers -- took Washington only so far as the first round of last year's playoffs, where the team was beaten 4-2 by the Tampa Bay Lighting.

We could not have asked for more from Robert Lang over the past two seasons," Capitals general manager George McPhee said. "He has been a terrific player for our club and we consider him as the best free-agent signing in the team's history.

"We have given Robert a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup while adding a good young player and two valuable draft choices to our organization."

The Capitals, whose principal owner is AOL executive Ted Leonsis, are last in the NHL's Southeast Division with 19 wins, 34 losses, eight ties and two overtime losses.

Three times earlier this year the team made trades designed to slash payroll and rebuild. It dealt captain Steve Konowalchuk to the Colorado Avalanche, Jager to the New York Rangers and Peter Bondra to the Ottawa Senators.

----------------------------------------------------------------

further signs of a league that may fold?.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

WELL FUCK THIS!

Well this fucking sucks big time.

Detroit is loaded now. There going to win the cup.

Oh, and the NHL isn't going to fold.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Oh, and the NHL isn't going to fold.
figured this might fire you up a bit, Rebel.....I don't think they will fold, but they are struggling.....some major changes are going to have to take place or there could be a lot of financial fallout.....

Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
figured this might fire you up a bit, Rebel.....I don't think they will fold, but they are struggling.....some major changes are going to have to take place or there could be a lot of financial fallout.....
The big problem is that the league is to watered down. There should be like 15-20 teams. First, places like Nashville, and Flordia- who has 2 teams, shouldn't have teams. Second, cities who had teams in the past shouldn't have teams again. Like Columbus, and Atlanta. They already proved that they couldn't handle a team, and that its not a hockey city. So why give them a second chance to lose tons of money again? I also don't understand why teams keep relocating to stupid southern american cities either. Some big cities in Canada like Quebec and Winnipeg are crying for teams. Even though I would have to listen to those shit heads on tsn talk about them, and it would drive me crazy, I would reather see them get a team then some some hick town where no one will show up for the games. But then thats a whole nothing thread about how stupid the Canadian government is. You also have teams like Pittsburgh who paractly has an AHL team. They have absolutly no body on their team. They have absolutly no money. And they have a shit arena. They have no future what so ever. So why do they keep teams like this in the league? In the past 15 years, the only cities that actually desvered a new team were Ottawa, and Minnesota.

Also, I don't think a cap will do the league any good. There isn't a team like the Yankees in the NHL were they go and sign every player possible. Sure you have your Stars, Avs, and Wings. But its not like they have 120million dollar payrolls either. The NHL is different then other leagues. Since its not as popular as other leagues, you need really good talent or no one will give a shit about you. You look at attendence around the league. The only teams that have sell outs are the top teams. So if you put in a cap, teams will have to tear about their teams, and then people aren't going to want to watch them play.

I am worried about the league. I don't know whats going to happen. But there is going to be big changes. I just hope contraction is something there going to talk about.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Man what is with the Caps? Are they on a mission to become the next Pittsburgh Penguins or something?

This is ridiculous.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2004, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Rebel, I totally agree that the league is too watered down.....

Error, they are attempting to challenge the Pens for the best AHA team in the NHL.....lol.....

Old 27 Feb 2004, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Neil #1 Fighter is on a distinguished road

Rebal is right, now that the red wings have him, they will most likely win the damn cup! And that just sucks
Neil #1 Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2004, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Now that I have actually thought about this a bit more. I don't know if I would give them the cup just yet. Cujo still isn't proven in the playoffs yet. So I think it all really depends on him how well they do in the the playoffs.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Cujo is pretty solid in the playoffs, or at least I think he is. He has proven in the past that he can play well, only thing is he was on Toronto.

Toronto just always finds a way to lose come playoff time.

If Cujo is on his game he is good.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2004, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
In Todd We Trust

The Return OfSP Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...
Default yo

i still dont think the red wings will win the cup

The Return OfSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2004, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
The big problem is that the league is to watered down. There should be like 15-20 teams. First, places like Nashville, and Flordia- who has 2 teams, shouldn't have teams. Second, cities who had teams in the past shouldn't have teams again. Like Columbus, and Atlanta. They already proved that they couldn't handle a team, and that its not a hockey city.
(Disclaimer) This is my view on hockey in Columbus, I have no emotional attachment to the Jackets. This is just what I observe.

I live in Columbus, so I will give you a take on hockey in this city.

First off it is a Ohio State town. Anything the football or mens basketball team does will get first billing no matter what. It is also a football town with the Browns, Bengals and Steelers having fan bases here.

That said, hockey has a following here. During the 1990s, we had a minor league team called the Columbus Chill of the ECHL (East Coast Hockey Team) and they played in the 4,000 seat Ohio Fairgrounds Center. They were an average team, but they broke minor league attendance records and were very popular in the community. The Chill brought fans because of promotional nights like "Frozen Depends toss night" and "Meet Alan Thicke night" and of course, hockey fights. Druing this the fans learned the finer points of the game. We didn't have an NHL team but the Red Wings, Penguins and Blackhawks (our NHL affiliates) had followings here, the same holds true today.

How the Jackets got here you ask, well we had the distinction of being the largest US city without a pro sports team (Columbus is Ohio's biggest city) and we were finalists many times for MLB and NFL franchises, but it never came to be. Reason why is that people are too loyal to Browns/Bengals or Reds/Indians and a 3rd NFL/MLB in the state wouldn't work geographically (Columbus is in the central part of the state, Cincinnati and Cleveland are only 1 1/2 hour away). Cleveland had the Cavs and while Cincinnati didn't have a NBA team, College B-ball (namely Cincy, Xavier, Kentucky, Dayton, Louisville) and the Pacers were kings in that town.

Ohio didn't have an NHL team and Columbus wanted a pro team, so it was a perfect match to try to woo the NHL to give us a franchise. We also got a MLS franchise the Columbus Crew (who are the most stable MLS franchise in terms of attendance and revenue) and the city tried to pass a levy to get a soccer stadium and a arena for hockey and OSU mens basketball, but it failed.

During that time, Columbus was making a play to get the Hartford Whalers to move here and it hinged on the levy. It didn't work, Carolina got the team and we all know how thats working out.

It looked like the NHL was dead here until a man named John McConnell and Nationwide Insurance offered to finance the arena (hence Nationwide Arena) and pay the expansion fee. It worked, in 2000 Columbus would get a NHL team. BTW, OSU got its arena, they play on campus at Value City Arena.

In 1999, the Chill moved to New Jersey and there was a year without hockey and that year OSU hockey's stature got boosted big time at the gate and standings, it was also the year the basketball team reached the final 4.

2000-01 was the Jackets first year. The games always sold out, Jackets gear was selling big time and the team got 70 points that year (a huge accomplishment for an expansion team). Ron Tugnutt and Geoff Sanderson were heroes in this town.

The next year was very tough as they got to 57 points. Tugnutt was traded, but Rusty Klesa became a star here and Espen Knutsen made the all star team. They still did well at the gate.

2002-2003 was a crazy year.The year started out with playoff hopes (seeing how all expansion teams have a 3 year window). The original coach Dave King was fired despite being only 6 points out the 8 seed in the West and Jackets President/GM Doug McLean (the man who led the Panthers to the 1996 East title) took over. The team never recovered, another dead last finish in the West. One good part about the year was Rick Nash was drafted and became a Calder finalist. What was intresting is that John McConnell came on the jumbotron and pubically apologized about the team "underachiving". Despite that, the team still did well with fans.

This year is similar to last year. The team drafted Nikolai Zherdev and signed Todd Marchant, Darryl Sydor, Fred Brathwaite and Trevor Letowski in FA and there were real playoff expectations after seeing the Anahiem and Minnesota playoff runs. Instead, there was chaos and underachving and another basement finish for the team. Sydor was traded and McLean gave up his coaching position, but he's still with the team.

A common thread with the team, fans and attendance is that it is still high. The Jackets have had winning or close to records at home and the fans care about the team and hockey in general. Since 1990, there are 30 youth hockey leagues in the state and the Chiller rinks (the practice facilities for the Chill) are still used by the Jackets and they are considered one of the finest rinks in the country.

This is just my opinion and observation of hockey here.

Last edited by Dan Snyder; 28 Feb 2004 at 06:59 AM.
Dan Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote