ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

'Skins; Broncos, discussing blockbuster trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2004, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default 'Skins; Broncos, discussing blockbuster trade

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Washington Redskins, desperate to add a running back who can make a major impact on new coach Joe Gibbs' run-oriented offense, are discussing a blockbuster trade with the Denver Broncos that would give them one of the NFL's premier young backs.

The proposed deal, which percolated at the league's annual draft combine sessions this weekend, would send Denver's Clinton Portis to the Redskins in exchange for four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and possibly one of their 2004 draft picks.

Portis, 22, rushed for more than 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons with the Broncos.

Trade talks were first reported by The Denver Post in Sunday's editions. Officials from both the Broncos and the Redskins, and agents for the two high-profile veterans, worked arduously during the weekend to bring the talks much closer to reality. One point of contention: In addition to Bailey, the Broncos are asking for Washington's second-round draft choice in April. At this point, at least, the Redskins are reluctant to part with the pick, but their hesitancy could change at any time.

"You definitely need to stay close on this one," said a source, who is intimately involved in the negotiations, late Sunday night. "There's a whole lot going on. There are a few sticking points but, if you asked me will it get done, I'd tell you, 'yeah, I think so.' "

Two player agents who represent NFL running backs that will become unrestricted free agents next month told ESPN.com that they approached the Redskins to make a pitch for their clients. Both agents assumed that, with the Redskins in need of a back to bolster the power running game Gibbs prefers, they might be able to fuel some interest in their clients.

Both were apprised by Redskins officials that the franchise was on the verge of a blockbuster deal for a premier running back. "One of their top officials basically told me that, while my guy is a good player, they had something else going at tailback and that it was huge," one of the agents said.

In his first meeting with quarterback Mark Brunell, who officially will be acquired by the Redskins via trade on March 3, when the league's trade moratorium is lifted, Gibbs told the veteran that Washington would definitely add a big-time running back before the start of summer training camp. The Gibbs-designed offense dictates a hard inside runner and has succeeded in the past with players of lesser talent than Portis possesses. The slashing Portis, though, would be a terrific fit for the Redskins, league coaches agreed here.

Should the deal be consummated -- and, despite some hurdles, several league and team sources acknowledged they expect it to happen -- it could not be officially announced until March 3 as well. Such a trade would dramatically reshape the Washington offense from what it was during the two-year tenure of former coach Steve Spurrier.

The trade would certainly permit each of the teams to fill a need.

The Broncos have been seeking a true "shut-down" cornerback for years and Bailey, just 25 years of age and regarded as one of the NFL's premier cover players, clearly fits that description. From the Washington standpoint, there are no veteran tailbacks currently on the roster who can handle the workhorse role Gibbs needs to fill.

A second-round choice in the 2002 draft, Portis took over the starting job as a rookie, ran for 1,508 yards and 15 touchdowns, and the former University of Miami star was named the league's rookie of the year. He followed up that freshman performance in 2003 by rushing for 1,591 yards and 14 touchdowns. Denver officials were initially reluctant to part with Portis but feel they can compensate for his departure.

The Broncos staff was impressed with a pair of 2003 rookies, Quentin Griffin and Ahmaad Galloway, and Denver has historically been able to plug in young runners and have immediate success with them. Plus the Broncos understand that to add a player of Bailey's stature, they must reciprocate with a big-time performer.

The proposed trade goes beyond just football needs, however, and extends out to some contractual considerations.

As a rookie, Portis signed a four-year contract that included a $1.29 million signing bonus but only minimum annual base salaries. His scheduled base salaries for the last two years of the deal are $380,000 in 2004 and $455,000 for 2005. At the Pro Bowl two weeks ago, Portis suggested he might boycott training camp unless his contract was upgraded and his comments did not sit well with Broncos management.

The Redskins two weeks ago determined they could not meet Bailey's contract demands and granted the five-year veteran and former first-round draft choice permission to speak with other teams about a possible trade. Since then, the Redskins have designated Bailey a "franchise" player, the equivalent of making him a one-year qualifying offer worth $6.801 million.

Obviously, for a trade to be consummated, Bailey, ostensibly a limited free agent, would have to sign a new contract. And the Redskins certainly will not acquire Portis without first addressing his contractual grievances. Agents for both players have been working with the Redskins and Broncos on new contracts for their clients.

In other Broncos news, running back Mike Anderson has reportedly requested his release after the team sugggested cutting his salary.

According to the Rocky Mountain News, Denver wants to cut Anderson's 2004 salary from $1.76 million to the veteran minimum, $535,000, plus incentives.

David Canter, Anderson's agent, told the paper that his client would prefer to become a free agent than accept a significant pay cut.

Anderson, the 2000 NFL Rookie of the Year, had five touchdowns last year, with 257 rushing yards and 53 receiving yards.

espn.com
-----------------

Damn

I'm going to hurt somebody if this goes down.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I think I'm gonna be sick. Seriously, if this happens, the Redskins would become the team to beat in not only the NFC East, but the entire NFC. I will seriously throw up everywhere if this does happen. It can't, it just fucking can't
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

I like the sound of this, it would hurt Denver which would be one less contending team in the AFC. Although they seem to always find a good RB I still like it.

The trade does seem somewhat lopsided if you ask me though but whatever works I guess.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Portis is overratted. Denver has a history of pumping out solid backs. It's their system. They'll recover quick. Didn't the skins have Davis last year, and they didn't really know what to do with him. Really, you're looking at an old coach, an old qb, a back who's untested outside of denvers reliable running system...This is setting up to be another Washington bust, like they seem to be every year when they make all the big announcements. Still, it is fun to see what that crazy mofo snyder is going to pull next.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDS
Portis is overratted. Denver has a history of pumping out solid backs. It's their system. They'll recover quick. Didn't the skins have Davis last year, and they didn't really know what to do with him. Really, you're looking at an old coach, an old qb, a back who's untested outside of denvers reliable running system...This is setting up to be another Washington bust, like they seem to be every year when they make all the big announcements. Still, it is fun to see what that crazy mofo snyder is going to pull next.
No, Skins used the Trung Canidate, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartweight threesome in the backfield.

Im sure Gibbs is pissed that Spurrier delt away Davis.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

^I mean, they still had him and they let him go and then he breaks out in Carolina, so now they're trying to fix a situation that should never have had to happen. And because he did so much better in carolina, it leads me to believe that Portis isn't going to be that big of a deal. They have a bad system and they got rid of a star and had to fill it with three nobodies. Denver doesn't need to pay Portis because they can just bring up whoever's next. They have been doing that for years. Portis isn't as good as he thinks he is, even with his belt. The redskins problems start with the owner.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Athos is on a distinguished road

Since I am A Denver Broncos Fan, that is good news to me. Denver always have good RBs. Now they got a VERY GOOD CB, Scary is all I can say. They will have a CB that will know that when a guy is down tackle him first before agruing who was suppose to cover the guy. Not like the last game Denver play and let a Colts guy walk to the TD.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDS
^I mean, they still had him and they let him go and then he breaks out in Carolina, so now they're trying to fix a situation that should never have had to happen. And because he did so much better in carolina, it leads me to believe that Portis isn't going to be that big of a deal. They have a bad system and they got rid of a star and had to fill it with three nobodies. Denver doesn't need to pay Portis because they can just bring up whoever's next. They have been doing that for years. Portis isn't as good as he thinks he is, even with his belt. The redskins problems start with the owner.
Denver has a guy named Quinten Griffin, he's a Barry Sanders clone.

Snyder is to the NFL, what the NY Rangers ownership is to the NHL. In his span of ownership, he has bought Deion Sanders, Jeff George and Bruce Smith despite the fact they were past their primes, hired Steve Spurrier and fired guys left and right and he has reached .500 only once.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Greatest Of All Time

-Tiga- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to -Tiga-

Why do people think that Quentin Griffen is all of a sudden an amazing running back.....?

He had one good game, and now all of a sudden Denver is going to give up their best chance of winning cause they dont have enough cap room?

I bet you Shannahan is kicking himself in the ass for signing Plummer to that huge contract, cause now they're fucked for cap room, and they're about to let go of their franchise player.

Griffen hasn't proved himself yet, so Denver as of now is Fucked if they cant deal something out with Portis
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Athos is on a distinguished road

Hey McNabb you have to look at it at Shannahan point of view. Denver ALWAYS HAD A GOOD RB ever since 1998. They went through 4 RBs throu that time Span. ALL of Denver RBs had a good seasons. ALL OF THEM. That is why Shannanhan took that.

ANYWAY WHO WAS THIS YEARs Champ????? That is right NE. THEY didn't HAVE A GOOD RB. They won because of their defense. Tampa Bay didn't have that great of a RB when they won. Both of those team won because they had CB that can stop WRs. Do you think NE would have won the superbowl let alone make it to the Superbowl if they didn't have LAW??? I don't think so
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2004, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Greatest Of All Time

-Tiga- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to -Tiga-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
Both of those team won because they had CB that can stop WRs. Do you think NE would have won the superbowl let alone make it to the Superbowl if they didn't have LAW??? I don't think so

You must be the dumbest mother fucker alive when it comes to football

What your saying is that only the CB leads a team to the super bowl..... Hmm lets see here

Take champ bailey for instance.

How come Reskins didn't make it into the playoffs let alone get more than 10 wins.

You are one stupid fuck for saying that a CB carries a team

Edit - By the way, Philly had some people called Troy Vincent, and Bobbly Taylor, you might have heard of them, and we didn't win the NFCCG with them, football is a team game, and even if it wasn't. It would be a QB that leads the team (Tom Brady)

Stupid.....

Last edited by -Tiga-; 26 Feb 2004 at 04:24 PM.
-Tiga- is offline   Reply With Quote