ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Maddux to the Cubs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2004, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold
Default Maddux to the Cubs

MESA, Ariz. -- Welcome home, Greg Maddux.

You'll find Wrigley Field much as you left it, the wind blowing in and the ivy covering the walls. The Chicago Cubs are still playing most of their home games in the afternoons, and the bleachers remain the hottest ticket in town. As for Cubs fans, they're passionate and loyal, and boy, are they thrilled to have you back.

Maddux brought his career full circle Tuesday night when he decided to sign with the Cubs, the team that gave him his start in the majors. No official announcement was made, but a source close to the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press that Maddux agreed to a $24 million deal that could go as long as three years.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry confirmed Wednesday that the Cubs have reached agreement in principal with Maddux, pending a physical.

The third year of the deal will be guaranteed if Maddux reaches certain criteria, including pitching a preset number of innings in 2005.

The deal is pending a physical, but the 37-year-old Maddux could be at camp as early as Wednesday, when Cubs pitchers and catchers report. Maddux, who spent the last 11 years with the Atlanta Braves, was the last major free agent to agree to a deal.

The addition of Maddux, who is just 11 wins shy of 300, gives the Cubs one of the strongest rotations in the game. He'll join Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Matt Clement and Carlos Zambrano -- a foursome that took the Cubs within five outs of the World Series a year ago.

Maddux may not be the pitcher he was in his youth, but he is still one of the game's most effective ones. He went 16-11 with a 3.96 ERA last season -- his 16th straight year with at least 15 wins. He is second among active pitchers with 289 wins, 21 behind Roger Clemens.

He is 289-163 with a 2.89 ERA in his 18-year career.

Bringing Maddux back also goes along way toward soothing the angst of the Cubs faithful, who never forgave the team for letting him go in the first place. Maddux spent his first seven seasons in Chicago, going 95-75 and winning the first of his four straight Cy Young awards. But he left after the 1992 season in a money dispute and went to Atlanta, where he developed into one of the great pitchers of his era, a control freak who mixed speeds and locations.

He was 194-88 with a 2.63 ERA during his 11-year stint in Atlanta, setting an NL record for most consecutive innings without a walk and becoming the poster child for consistency with his streak of 15-win seasons.

He also helped make the Braves the dominant team in the NL. Atlanta won a division title every year he was there, as well as the 1995 World Series. The Cubs, meanwhile, wallowed in mediocrity -- or worse. They've had only five winning seasons since he left, and didn't make the playoffs again until 1998.

Going to a team that could win was believed to be high on Maddux's list of priorities, and he'll find the Cubs much different than what he's seen from afar these last few years. Dusty Baker brought a new attitude in his first season, and the Cubs responded with their first division title since 1989. They were on the verge of going to the World Series for the first time since 1945 until a meltdown against Florida in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series. Florida rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the series.

The Cubs should be even better this year. Hendry upgraded the bullpen, adding LaTroy Hawkins and Kent Mercker. He also traded for Gold Glove first baseman Derrek Lee, and bolstered the bench with Todd Walker and Todd Hollandsworth.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

-----------------------------------------

Well not like we didn't see this coming but it's still news none the less.

Thoughts?
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Minnesota Wrecking Crew

Jaden is on a distinguished road

I think this has to put the Cubs right up there with Philly to win the National League. The staff of Maddox, Prior, and Wood is awesome.

I suppose a strong case could be made for Houston, too, but Clemens is like a 100, so I dunno how dominating he will be.

Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I don't trust Philly. Bowa will find a way to f*ck it up in the end.

Chicago has the best rotation in the NL and will win the NL pennant.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Well, this means Maddux will end his career in a Cubs uni.....I can live with that.....hey, the Cubs come to the K next year.....I might get a chance to go see him pitch.....

a fitting place for him to go.....

Pitchers and catchers report in 5 days.....woooooooo!!!!!

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2004, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Screwball

Wolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Wolf Send a message via MSN to Wolf

As a cub's fan i love this, but i do wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. I think this give the cubs the best shot to win the NL central and mabe the pennant, but what they do with the opportunities will determine how far they go.

My Teams

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2004, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I said it in one of the Yankees threads, and I'll say it here as well.

Maddux is old. He is but a shell of his former self. Last season seemed like he was getting lit up every other outing. When he wasn't getting lit up, he was only goin for 5-6 innings. He might be able to help the Cubbies, but I honestly don't see him helping them win, or even get to the World Series. If they do get there, it will be because of Wood, Prior and Clement.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2004, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

sugarcube is on a distinguished road

I think Clement, Zembrano need to improve and they will. Maddox has still got a couple year and the offense will need to do it's job and score more runs a agme then it did last year. My opinion is that he will do better than most people think not great though. He'll make Wood, Prior and the rest of the rotation better.

Towards making the world-series they have to win it this time they have the most complete team in the national league possibly the entire league and this put them over the top hopefully. Anything else other than winning the world series will be unacceptable.
sugarcube is offline   Reply With Quote