ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

76ers pull the Bryon Scott treatment on coach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2004, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever
Default 76ers pull the Bryon Scott treatment on coach

Quote:
Two days after Allen Iverson said a change was needed in the leadership of the Philadelphia 76ers , the struggling National Basketball Association club fired first-year coach Randy Ayers.

Assistant Chris Ford, a former coach of three NBA clubs, was named as the replacement for Ayers, who becomes the seventh coach fired since the season began and the 18th coaching change in the league since last season.

"Chris will be the coach through the end of the season and then we will have an evaluation process," 76ers general manager Billy King said.

Atlanta's Terry Stotts is the only Eastern Conference coach who has not been replaced since June.

The 76ers join Atlantic Division rivals New Jersey, New York, Boston and Orlando in making a coaching change during the season.

Iverson greased the exit slide for former 76ers coach Larry Brown, who parted ways with the team last June, and did Ayers no favors by ripping him in public less than a week after saying his teammates played with no heart.

Having dropped 11 of their past 14 games, the 76ers are 21-31 and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for the first time in six seasons.

"It's not fair to point at one person, but it's the nature of the business," King said. "We just have not played well over a long stretch of games."

The 76ers, who lost 99-87 at New Jersey on Sunday, next play on Wednesday here against Washington in the club's final game before the weekend's All-Star Game.

Ayers appeared to have a growing rift with Glenn Robinson, who was obtained last year to help take some of the scoring load off Iverson. But "Big Dog" struggled on defense and Ayers reduced his playing time.

"I know I deserve a little better treatment than I've been getting," said Robinson on Sunday.

King defused the situation by ditching Ayers in the wake of Iverson's comments Sunday, including the star guard saying, "Things are not getting better so maybe a change is needed."

But King said it was not Iverson or Robinson that made him make a change.

"It wasn't one situation. It was an overall evaluation process," King said. "I just felt now was the time to do it."

Ford, 54, has three NBA championship rings - one as a player with Boston in 1981 and two as an assistant coach with the Celtics in 1984 and 1986.

He coached Boston from 1990-91 and 1994-95, Milwaukee from 1996-1998 and the Los Angeles Clippers from 1998-2000 and has a career NBA coaching record of 311-358.

Two days after Allen Iverson said a change was needed in the leadership of the Philadelphia 76ers, the struggling National Basketball Association club fired first-year coach Randy Ayers.
This is why I prefer NCAA over NBA. It's pretty fucking sad when a player dictates who coaches the team and who doesn't, especially when an egotistical piece of shit like iverson who probably won't be there in two years, calls the shots, yet he's the reason they lose half the time with his bullshit selfishness.

The NBA is drawing closer to a player/coach situation...Kidd and Iverson get my vote for biggest assholes of the year.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2004, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

I seen Ayers coach at Ohio State, he f*cked up that program but recruited the guys for the 1999 Final 4 run.

The east's longest tenured coaches are Paul Silas and Rick Carsile, both in their 1st year with their teams.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
givin you the evil eye...

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt

actually, The Hawks' Terry Stotts is the longest tenured coach with the same team in the Eastern Conference right now.......Silas and Carlisle and Brown don't count...you switch teams, you start over....and yes, both Silas and Carlisle were FIRED.

but i digress, I can't believe they shit-canned him this early......that just reeks of a classless organization...... no matter what, a coach deserves at least one season to turn a franchise around......
Old 10 Feb 2004, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

But that's the problem. Today the coaches don't get a chance to turn the franchises around. It's all about the star player on that team calling the shots. Labron wanted ricky davis out of cleveland and he was traded. Kidd wanted Scott gone, he got the boot. Iverson wanted his coach gone, he got the boot. It's all about pleasing the players, and in those three cases above, none of them have done anything for shit on their team, so why should the coach get the can?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Screwball

Wolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant futureWolf has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Wolf Send a message via MSN to Wolf

Well I read in the Chicago Tribune that now Iverson is all pissed because he wasn't consulted before the coach was fired and thinks that he should have some say in who they hire next. I hate to say it but the NBA really has turned into a players organization.

My Teams

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2004, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

That's bullshit on Iversons part, Iverson is the reason the sixers coach was fired!