ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Rasheed Wallace traded to Hawks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2004, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Athos is on a distinguished road
Default Rasheed Wallace traded to Hawks

Feb. 10, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

ATLANTA -- The Portland Trail Blazers traded volatile forward Rasheed Wallace and reserve Wesley Person to the Atlanta Hawks late Monday night for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and two other players.

Advertisement

In Wallace, Atlanta gets an often-troubled player who's averaging 17 points and 6.6 rebounds a game.

"What you do in this situation is very clear, you start with a clean slate," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said. "You judge people on the way they are with you. I'm not going to go on what someone else said."

Wallace drew the ire of NBA commissioner David Stern this season when he told The Oregonian newspaper that the league's white establishment is exploiting young black athletes to enrich itself. Wallace later issued an apology.

Last season, Wallace was suspended by the league for seven games for threatening an official on the loading dock at the Rose Garden Arena after a game. It was the longest suspension ever handed down that did not involve physical contact or substance abuse.

In the 2000-01 season, he set the NBA record with 41 technical fouls. He is set to earn $17 million in the final year of his contract.

The announcement of the trade came about 90 minutes after the Hawks beat the Dallas Mavericks 102-96. Abdur-Rahim had 27 points and 10 rebounds in the victory, and he is averaging about 20.7 points and 8.4 rebounds this season.

"This trade helps the franchise in many ways," Trail Blazers president Steve Patterson said. "We get a younger core of players and can remain competitive in both the Western Conference the league.

"Another factor in the deal is that we are also acquiring three players of good character."

Abdur-Rahim goes to the Trail Blazers with center Theo Ratliff and little-used point guard Dan Dickau, a first-round pick of the Sacramento Kings in 2002, who was traded to the Hawks on draft day.

Ratliff is averaging 8.3 points and 7.2 rebounds a game. Dickau is averaging 2.1 points per game.

"I can't explain enough how tough a trade it was for me personally, because of Shareef," Knight said. "He's a class guy and the consummate professional."

The contracts for Wallace and Person end after this season, clearing up salary cap room for the Hawks. They are right at the luxury tax threshold.

"We are not winning enough games this year," Knight said. "What this does is accelerate the process of rebuilding. This was a deal that gets us financially healthy and makes us a player in the free-agent market."

Person, a guard, averages 6.1 points and 1.9 rebounds.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Well Portland now got an ok center in Theo and they also got good player in Shareef. Atlanta will indeed in a player in the off season.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2004, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

this sucks...I have a sports show on the radio and of course being right outside of atlanta a lot of focus is on the atlanta area teams..I already had months of taking about how bad the falcons were..now the hawks who about 4 out of 5 shows i have to complain about trade their best player again for another trouble maker..they never freakin learn. Mashburn was the last one to come here and cause problems, now we get wallace.. good grief i wish AOl Time Warner would freakin hurry up and sale the franchise so someone could come fire all the fuckers and get a real team. See exactly the reason i refuse to watch pro basketball.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Well atlanta couldn't get any worse LMAO, and besides. The fans didn't want wallace, his coach didn't want him, his teammates didn't want him, and he didn't want to be there. At least the blazers have players who will want to play and be happy to be on a much more winning team then what they were on.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2004, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Athos is on a distinguished road

Hawks probally wouldn't make it into the playoffs this year. Now they can be a VERY GOOD team next season. Hawks now has the money to get someone good. Hey who knows Kobe might want to play in Atlanta. Or some other good player can know play in Atlanta next season.

Portland also got the good end of the stick.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2004, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.

the hawks won't make the playoffs next year either.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Hawks have money to spend on free agents, they could pick up someone good.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

obvioulsy you don't follow the hawks..they have been rebuilding forever, and with aol/time warner still at the helm they are screwed just like wcw was...look it's like this in the past few years the hawks rebuild with a bunch of nobodys, get troubled former stars who stay one year, and the guys they do get to be their leading scorers are soon shipped out. i know they are doing this to clear out cap money, but they were starting to look a little decent having close games and even winning some..now they just threw that all away. maybe they will get first pick in the draft if they haven't traded that away yet.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Womenomics

RJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of light

The contracts of both Wallace and Person expire after this season. That's like 20 million off the salary cap. They have to be close to 30 million under the cap for next season where they can make a run at someone such as Kobe or Iverson. Or if the right deal comes along they could still trade Wallace before the trading deadline. As for the Blazers they basically rebuilt their team into one that is far better than it was both in character and on the court. Abdur-Rahim is good for 20 and 10 a night while Ratliff is the best shot blocker in the NBA. Portland's starting five is quite impressive now with those two additions to go along with holdovers Randolph, Anderson, and Stoudamire.
RJ Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2004, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

LMAO!!! The Hawks will have money but there is no way in hell Kobe would sign with atlanta, that's the smoke talking. As as much as you laker haters want it, kobe isn't leaving L.A., it's a pipe dream and he knows his best chance to continue winning rings is with the Lakers. He's not going anywhere, just like kidd wasn't going anywhere, just like duncan wasn't going anywhere.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

Who else seen Wallace going wild when Flair and Benoit was choppping eachother by the Blazers? Me and my brother was laughing our ass off.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

LOL, yeah Wallace was having a good time it looked like, that must've sucked to be at an event like Raw, and get called during the show to know you've been traded.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
givin you the evil eye...

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt

a good trade for both teams.......

Hotlanta, once Wallace (and to a lesser extent, Person) becomes a free agent, and adding in the fact that Terrell Brandon's contract will come off the books this summer, too...... means that Atlanta will be 40 MILLION under the cap.

they do have a decent young core there (and they still ahve a better record than some other teams in the Association) ....and with the accquisition of a few key Free Agents in the off-season.......the 'Hawks stand to be a vastly improved team next year.

And the Blazers? I'm scared of a rotation that has Randolph, Abdur-Rahim and Darius Miles in it....... that's a scary amount of athleticism in those three guys.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

a good core, while i understand the money deal, which they will blow it some how with some low rate fuckers i'm sure. a good core what core? the french guys. No they are sorry and traded their best nuff said.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

The Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersThe Great Khali is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters

Dont be suprised if Rash(w)eed get's delt to the Knicks B4 the deadline.
The Great Khali is offline   Reply With Quote