ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Lenox Lewis retires!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2004, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned By Super Moderators

617 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 617
Exclamation Lenox Lewis retires!!!

ESPN.com news services
LONDON -- Lennox Lewis announced his retirement Friday, becoming the first active world heavyweight champion to quit in nearly 50 years.

The 38-year-old Lewis confirmed at a packed London news conference that he was leaving the sport after a 14-year career.

After months of deliberation, Lewis decided to retire rather than defend his World Boxing Council title in a rematch against Vitali Klitschko.

"It's a special day in my life," Lewis said. "I'd like to announce that June 21, 2003, was my last fight as a professional boxer."

Lewis leaves with a 41-1-2 record, and is the first reigning world heavyweight champion to quit since Rocky Marciano in 1956. The only other to do so was Gene Tunney, who retired in 1928.

Muhammad Ali retired with the WBA title in 1978, but came back to lose fights to Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick.

Lewis ruled out a comeback, saying, "I will definitely be the third boxer to retire as heavyweight champion, I promise you that."

Lewis fought just twice in the last 26 months. He knocked out former undisputed champion Mike Tyson in eight rounds in Memphis in June 2002, the defining fight of his career.

He also defeated Klitschko in Los Angeles last June. Lewis was behind on points when the fight was stopped in the sixth round because Klitschko was cut.

The WBC mandated a rematch and ordered Lewis to agree to the fight by March 1 or risk being stripped of the title.

"I am sad to hear that Lennox Lewis has decided to retire, but I respect him for his decision," Klitschko said in a statement Friday. "Lennox was one of the greatest heavyweight champions of all time and I am very proud and honored to say that I was able to fight him. I know I had him on the ropes and almost beat him, but my cuts stopped me.

"On a personal level, I am disappointed, like the millions of boxing fans, that there will not be a rematch between Lennox and myself. I wish him all the best, however, in whatever he decides to do in the future. Lennox was a credit to the sport for many, many years and his presence will be missed."

Lewis hadn't even told HBO what he planned to do. The television network paid him millions to fight and had been waiting for months for him to commit one way or another to a second Klitschko fight.

"It has been a great honor to be the standard bearer of boxing for the last decade," Lewis said. "Let the next era begin."

Lewis leaves a legacy of big wins over Tyson and Evander Holyfield, but also a reputation for aloofness that never allowed him to connect with boxing fans outside of Britain and Canada, where he grew up.

A heavyweight who stood 6-foot-5 but had the boxing skills of a smaller man, Lewis won an Olympic gold medal for Canada in Seoul in 1988 and went on to win the heavyweight title three times.

With Lewis retired, Klitschko is expected to meet No. 2 contender Corrie Sanders for the WBC title.

Despite his impressive record, Lewis' performances tended to be plodding rather than inspiring.

His two knockout losses -- to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman -- were huge upsets, but he went on to beat both in rematches. His one draw came against Holyfield in a fight most observers felt Lewis won. He later beat Holyfield on points to become undisputed world champion.

Lewis reportedly has plans to pursue his interest in hip-hop and rap music by promoting bands and producing records and concerts.

Lewis said he has accepted a position at a sports management agency.

Lewis became Britain's first major world heavyweight champion since the 1880s when Riddick Bowe relinquished the WBC crown in 1992, dumping the belt in a trash can. Lewis retained the title in the ring a year later by beating Tony Tucker and became undisputed champion in 1999 when he won a rematch with Holyfield.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Your thoughts?
617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2004, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Good. I fucking hate that piece of shit. He's the biggest fake. He grew up like 10mins from where I live, and yet he claims to be British.

Oh and, he shouldn't be champion. Klitschko would of won.
Old 06 Feb 2004, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Lewis had a good career but no one really ever liked him. I personally don't really like the guy but he is doing the right thing by retiring. At least he is going out on top, only the 2nd guy to ever do that.

BTW, Lewis would have dropped Klitschko, you could tell it was going to happen had the fight continued. There isn't anyone out there who can beat Lewis since the Heavyweight division is so weak so there is no use in him sticking around any longer.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2004, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

So...it's a lock in my opinon..your new WBC Champion is...Vladimir Klitchsko....But it should already be that way..
Old 07 Feb 2004, 04:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
In Todd We Trust

The Return OfSP Nobody Likes This Poster... Especially STICK...
Default yo

lewis was an awesome boxer, he deserves to go out on top. no one can beat him, its as simple as that.

he was born in britain wasnt he?

The Return OfSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2004, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return OfSP
he was born in britain wasnt he?
No, he was born in Jamica. Then when he was small he moved to Canada. He lived here all his life, and now all of a sudden he's from Britain.
Old 07 Feb 2004, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Acutally he was born in Britain but lived in Canada most of his life.

He has a dual citizenship.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2004, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by error402
Acutally he was born in Britain but lived in Canada most of his life.

He has a dual citizenship.
Really? I was always told he was born in Jamica, but i'm probably wrong... So that makes up for him being 'britain', although his accent is fake.
Old 07 Feb 2004, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Neil #1 Fighter is on a distinguished road

i never got to see a match with him in in oh well
Neil #1 Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2004, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.

^He's only been boxing..For like...over a decade I belive...I'm guessing you don't follow boxing that much?
Old 07 Feb 2004, 11:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Neil #1 Fighter is on a distinguished road

no not really but i hear its great
Neil #1 Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2004, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

Oh well...you hear it's great...dosen't that mean you've never watched boxing..which would then be obvious that you've never seen Lewis fight?..lol..
Old 07 Feb 2004, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth

Eh, whatever, I'm not going to lose sleep, but I'll always remember (and laugh about) the time he beat the shit out of Tyson.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2004, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Womenomics

RJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of light

It's better to quit one fight too soon than one fight too late. He left with his dignity and legacy intact. He beat every other heavyweight of his era except Riddick Bowe who he already beat in the 88 Olympics. He even fought the new generation of heavyweights and proved he could hang with them. Maybe he is in the top 10 of all time but definitely in the top 15.
RJ Suave is offline   Reply With Quote