ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

How Exactly Does Balance Of Power Shift in College Sports?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2004, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Default How Exactly Does Balance Of Power Shift in College Sports?

Since recruiting is so key in college sports, and is a huge factor in determining how well a team does, how does a team from the bottom rise to the 'cream of the crop' and how does a top team become a 'cellar dweller'?

My thinking, is if a team is terrible, then no top high school prospects would want to go there. I know that some kids will go to a certain school based on the coach, so I can see how if a bad team hires a good coach, that would affect it, but what about when a team comes from nowhere, a la the Sooners a couple years ago?
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2004, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Well with the Sooners, they had the talent and the proud tradition, its just that they had some terrible coaching. Once a Bob Stoops got in, he just used those resources and they are back on the national picture.

As for how to build a program. I will take it in a couple of examples.

First with Florida State. They were a nobody in college football until Bob Bowden showed up. First thing is that he had a bring em on attitude, meaning he would schedule anyone and that kind of attitude showed people and players that they were for real in becoming a college power. So the recruits came. Fresno State is doing the same thing.

Next is Iowa of the 80s. They had hired Hayden Fry as coach and a very impressive coaching staff in Barry Alvarez, Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz and Dan McCarney. But they just couldn't get that breakout win, but it finally came in 1981 when they beat #1 Nebraska. From there, they began to get the good prospects but never the big boys. But in the 80s they gave OSU and Michigan scares in the Big 10 race. Now they are doing the same thing with Kirk Ferentz. They do it with superb coaching.

Now the Oklahoma, USC and LSUs. They were longtime national powers, however for diffrent reasons, leveled off for diffrent reasons. They still got the recruits because they were in big football talent pools and had tradition to sell to kids. But what held them back was bad coaching. Then when the Stoops, Sabans and Carolls took over, they maximized their programs strengths and got them to where they are today. They were sleeping giants. The big sleeping giants today are Penn State and Washington. Penn State, if they hire the right man to replace Paterno can challenge OSU and Michigan and Washington, once they get rid of Gilbertson is the only PAC 10 program historically that can match up with USC.

Hope I answerd this.

Last edited by Dan Snyder; 04 Feb 2004 at 01:52 AM.
Dan Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2004, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Great explanation Norm. Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.

Also, anyone else who may have another take on it or what not can still explain. I'm a sponge waiting for knowledge (ignore the gayness of that statement, thank you).
Old 04 Feb 2004, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

What else would you like to know about this?
Old 04 Feb 2004, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Coleman
What else would you like to know about this?
Oh nothing particular, just if anyone else had a perspective on it or if they wanted to give their opinion. I basically didn't want people to feel like there wasn't a need for them to respond since you answered it, just leaving the door open for more discussion is all
Old 04 Feb 2004, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

Well there is always the local boy wanting to go to his hometown school or his family attended there..Take for instant the team I root for the Ole Miss Rebels..They were okay with guys like Romaro Miller and Deuce McAllister, but they never could get above the 7-7 mark..Then Eli Manning decided to follow in his father's footsteps and go to Ole Miss..Players such as this, or players that live in an area that want to go nearby will help build a program..Now Ole Miss is second in the SEC WEST and have the number 2 freshman QB in the nation on their sqaud from the list of recruits of 2003. So family heritage can also play apart in a program being built up.
Old 04 Feb 2004, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Well there is always the local boy wanting to go to his hometown school or his family attended there..Take for instant the team I root for the Ole Miss Rebels..They were okay with guys like Romaro Miller and Deuce McAllister, but they never could get above the 7-7 mark..Then Eli Manning decided to follow in his father's footsteps and go to Ole Miss..Players such as this, or players that live in an area that want to go nearby will help build a program..Now Ole Miss is second in the SEC WEST and have the number 2 freshman QB in the nation on their sqaud from the list of recruits of 2003. So family heritage can also play apart in a program being built up.
David Cutcliffe is doing a hell of a job, Ole Miss and Alabama (once they get out of probation hell) are programs that can give LSU scares, even when Saban bolts to the NFL(it will happen)

Thats what keeps a lot of programs afloat. Ohio St. CB Dustin Fox had 5 relatives that played for the Buckeyes.

That tied in to my 3rd point of recruting bases and tradition.