ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Elway, Sanders expected to get in.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default Elway, Sanders in HOF.....

Associated Press
HOUSTON -- John Elway and Barry Sanders, consummate offensive weapons, are the favorites for election this year to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Elway used a strong arm and quick feet to become one of the NFL's most accomplished quarterbacks. No one who played the position won more games than Elway (148).

Sanders is the only player to rush for at least 1,000 yards in his first 10 pro seasons -- which is the entire span of his career.

It's difficult to imagine either of them falling short in their first year of eligibility.

"If there's anybody who needs to go in on that first trip, it's Barry Sanders," said Carolina Panthers quarterback Rodney Peete, in town for the Super Bowl on Sunday. "I've played 15 years, and I watched football growing up. To this day, he was by far the best I've ever played with. He was electrifying. Every time you handed him the ball, you never knew what he as going to do next. He could make something out of nothing like nobody else."

As could Elway, whose creativity was unmatched in his 16-season career with the Denver Broncos, who have no Hall of Famers.

In all, Elway, a nine-time Pro Bowl player, threw for 51,475 yards, second to Dan Marino in league history, on 4,123 completions in 7,250 attempts. His 774 rushes lead all quarterbacks, and he passed for more than 3,000 yards and rushed for more than 200 yards for seven straight years.

When he retired in 1999, Elway had won championships in his final two seasons after three previous fruitless trips to the Super Bowl. He had the most fourth-quarter, game-winning or game-saving drives (47). Elway was the 1987 league MVP.

He was No. 1 overall draft pick in 1983 -- the year of the quarterback, when six, including Marino and Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, were chosen on the first round. Elway refused to play for the Baltimore Colts and was traded to Denver, where he became an icon.

"For 16 years, John Elway was the Denver Broncos," team owner Pat Bowlen said. "They're picking the best guy who ever played football in Denver, that's for sure."

Sanders is among the more enigmatic candidates for the hall.

At 31, Sanders quit the Detroit Lions just when he was within range of the career rushing record, then held by Walter Payton. Sanders unexpectedly told the Lions he was through just before the 1999 training camp, needing 1,457 yards to reach Payton's mark. In his first 10 seasons, he rushed for more than that seven times.

Sanders led the league in rushing four times. In 1997, he was co-MVP with Brett Favre after rushing for 2,053 yards, only the third player to exceed 2,000 yards in a season. He ran for 100 yards or more in 14 consecutive games.

"Barry had not only the best chance of getting the record, but blowing the record way out, setting it in the 20,000-yard area," said Emmitt Smith, who subsequently broke the mark.

Sanders' parting with the Lions was filled with intrigue. He quit in his prime, and he didn't announce his intentions publicly, instead doing so with a written statement released by his hometown newspaper, The Wichita Eagle.

He consistently avoided the pro football establishment after that, ending his silence with a news conference last year.

Unlike Elway, Sanders never got to a Super Bowl, playing in just one conference title game, after the 1991 season when the Lions lost to the Redskins.

"I think I would trade a Super Bowl championship for the Hall of Fame," Sanders said. "I can certainly say it's disappointing to have never even played in a Super Bowl. I feel like I missed out on something."

--------------------------------------------------------------

i look forward to seeing the single greatest running back of all time go into the HOF.....and, the Assassin himself (Elway) deserves to go in.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.

Last edited by Oeo; 31 Jan 2004 at 04:33 PM.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Associated Press
HOUSTON -- John Elway and Barry Sanders made the Pro Football Hall of Fame on their first attempt Saturday, making it look as easy as everything else they did in their spectacular careers.

Elway, the winningest quarterback in NFL history, and Sanders, No. 3 in career rushing, were joined by Bob Brown and Carl Eller.

Two other finalists, Dallas tackle Rayfield Wright and wide receiver Bob Hayes, didn't receive enough votes to make the hall.

Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Good to know that they let quitters in the Hall
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Single greatest running back? I think not!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Single greatest running back? I think not!
i was waiting for that..........

Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
i was waiting for that..........
lol bad idea. Your just waiting for trouble saying stuff like that around here.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Had Berry not have left we all know who would have the rushing record so I think it's safe to say he is the one of the greatest.

Good to see both of them got in, even though we all knew they would so it's not much of a surprise.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Greatest Of All Time

-Tiga- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to -Tiga-

Barry is a better back than anyone ever was.......

like error said, if Barry would still be playing, he would have the record by like 3000 yards
Old 31 Jan 2004, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

He was so great, that he would LOSE yards trying to make something happen. Those losses would also come in critical times of games, or when they needed to get a first down. He isn't the greatest back of all time.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't say he was, I'm just saying he's one of the best and deserves to be in the Hall.

Losing yardage or not, he was on Detriot which was a lost cause already. Too bad he was never on a better team.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

I was just answering the people that said he was the greatest back (GOAT, oeo).

If you wanna look to see who the greatest back is, look to Emmitt. I don't care about the all time rushing mark either, it's his other accolades.

Multiple Time League rushing champion, Multiple Time TD champion, Multiple Time League MVP (I think), Super Bowl MVP. Emmitt was the man, and I don't care what he does now, no one can take any of those things away from him by saying anything.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I have a lot of respect for Smith, considering how small of a guy he is and doing all the things he was able to do.

I don't know why he never retired as a Cowboy, I mean I respect the fact that he still wants to play but I hate watching great plays prolong their careers.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Yeah, it was a sad sad day to see him announce he was signing with another franchise, especially one as shitty as the Cardinals. I really wanted to see him hang up the pads and cleats and go out as a 'Boy.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
Barry is a better back than anyone ever was.......

like error said, if Barry would still be playing, he would have the record by like 3000 yards

I'm surpised you didn't say Staley was the best ever.

But Stick took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Art Monk not being in is a f*cking joke.

BTW, my Running Backs of all time
1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Earl Campbell
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Bronko Nagurski