ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Will a sub .500 team make it to the NBA playoffs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Default Will a sub .500 team make it to the NBA playoffs?

I'm looking at the standings as of right now, and the Eastern conference is fucking pathetic, especially the Atlantic division.

Atlantic
New Jersey - 24-20
Boston - 22-25
New York - 20-27
Miami - 19-27
Philadelphia - 19-27
Washington - 13-31
Orlando - 13-35

Central
Indiana - 34-13
Detroit - 30-16
New Orleans - 26-19
Milwaukee - 25-20
Toronto - 21-22
Cleveland - 17-28
Atlanta - 14-33
Chicago - 13-33

Now, looking at those records, there are 5 teams above .500, and only 2 others that are within 3 games of being AT .500. All other teams are at least 7 games under .500. With the 7 teams who are in reach of getting to (or maintaining) a .500 record, that leaves the 8th slot to a sub .500 team. Realistically, do you think a team will make the playoffs with a losing record?

I'll comment if this gets some replies.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2004, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

actually, that has happened many times before, Stick.....i remember that Jordan's first Bulls team in the playoffs had a 40-42 regular season mark.....

as weak as the East is, i could potentially see at least three sub-.500's making it.....

NY, Miami and Philly could all stay below the .500 line, imo.....weak teams.....the East is terrible this year.....no stability, no big men.....young coaches.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

That's Because Stern Is A Fuckin' Dickhead And Let The West Walk All Over The East Even Before Jordan Left In '98...Look At The Trades This Year, The East Lost Walker, Zo, Sprewell, Cassell, God Knows Who Else, ...And What Did We Get In Return, Raef LaFrentz...Jesus Christ Is All I Have To Say About That...The Playin' Field Is So Uneven, It Makes Me Loath Teams Like Sac And Dallas...And Makes Me Hope They Get Their Asses Handed To Them By LA

Sac And Dallas Can Fuckin' Go Over The Luxury Tax And Notin' Happen, A Weak Ass Fine They Can Pay With Their Spare Change While Teams In The East Lose Any Talent They Coulda Signed When They Finally Get Cap Room...

That's Why It Is So Unbalanced And Makin' The L Look Like Shit

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth

"No big men"?

Jermaine O'Neal
Ben Wallace
Kenyon Martin
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Theo Ratliff
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Juwan Howard (to some extent)
Carlos Boozer

Now, that isn't really a whole lot compared to the Western Conference, but they have some big boys that can play, I probably even forgot a few.

Subject - Oh, I'm sure there will be some Eastern teams that are below .500 that make the playoffs... happens often the last few years... but what can you do? Every conference has to have their 8 teams, lol...

Doesn't matter which Eastern team gets to the finals, from what I can see now, the only team that might be able to compete against some of the Western powerhouse's are New Orleans, and Indiana.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash
That's Because Stern Is A Fuckin' Dickhead And Let The West Walk All Over The East Even Before Jordan Left In '98
What? Jordan was in the Eastern Conference, and his Bulls always dominated the playoffs...

Quote:
...Look At The Trades This Year, The East Lost Walker, Zo, Sprewell, Cassell, God Knows Who Else
Alonzo Mourning? He stayed in the Eastern Conference... going from Miami to New Jersey...

But yeah, you can't deny the fact that the conferences are lop-sided... we'll see where Kobe ends up going this off-season, and what happens in the free-agent market.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Well When Juwan Howard And Shareef Abdur Rahim Are Considered Big Men, Shits Wrong lol

9 Times....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Quote:
Well When Juwan Howard And Shareef Abdur Rahim Are Considered Big Men, Shits Wrong lol
You do realize they're both PF's, correct?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Jermaine O'Neal......Shaquille O'neal
Ben Wallace.......Rasheed Wallace
Kenyon Martin.....Brad Miller
Shareef Abdur-Rahim.....Dirk Nowitski
Theo Ratliff.....Radislav Nesterovic
Zydrunas Ilgauskas.....Tim Duncan
Juwan Howard (to some extent)......Chris Webber
Carlos Boozer.....Antawn Jamison
nobody......Antoine Walker
nobody......Amare Stoudamire
nobody......Kevin Garnett
nobody......Elton Brand
nobody......Yao Ming

the list could go on and on.....the East only has two big men who would be starters in the West.....O'neal and Wallace.....

that's why i say no big men.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Quote:
What? Jordan was in the Eastern Conference, and his Bulls always dominated the playoffs...
Look At The West Prior To Jordan's Last Season And The Year He Was No Longer An Active Player...No Gigantic Shift Occurred That Saw The East Lose The Balance...It's Just The East Lost Jordan, The Greatest Player To Ever Live...And Then We Could See How Much The East Sucked

But The East Still Lost Zo, Is What I Was Refferin' To...As Far As It Bein' Lopsided

9 Times....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Just Because They Play The Position Of PF, Doesn't Mean They Are Big Men...Shareef Is Not A Big Man, That Simple

9 Times....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Quote:
Just Because They Play The Position Of PF, Doesn't Mean They Are Big Men...Shareef Is Not A Big Man, That Simple
Ok... so a 6'9 guy is now considered "small"? Ben Wallace is 6'9 or 6'10, and you didn't say nothing about him.

Ok, oeo, I know what you're saying, but they do have decent big men, you made it sound like the West completely dominates them, which they do, but the East has some very good ones also, at least not bad enough to be overlooked.

Bottom line - We all know the West dominates talent at every position except Guard possibly, with people like Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, LeBron James. (slaps himself)

I don't even get how the East managed to compete against the West team in the All-Star game last year.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

When The West Almost Bottoms Out At 7 Feet, Yes I'ma Consider A 6'9 Player To Be Small In Comparison...Shareef Ain' Gon Guard A Duncan, Shaq, Yao, Divac Or Nowitzki, He's Undersized.

9 Times....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Quote:
When The West Almost Bottoms Out At 7 Feet, Yes I'ma Consider A 6'9 Player To Be Small In Comparison...Shareef Ain' Gon Guard A Duncan, Shaq, Yao, Divac Or Nowitzki, He's Undersized.
But he's fucking good...

Ben Wallace will and has swat Shaq's shit a lot when they go against each other, and there's like a 4-5 inch height differnece, who cares?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

I Never Said He Wasn't Good, I Just Said He Isn't A True Big Man

9 Times....
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Quote:
I Never Said He Wasn't Good, I Just Said He Isn't A True Big Man
Yes. What I'm saying is that he makes up for his size with a great playing style...

Height does matter, somewhat, like duh, Shaq posting up Speedy Claxton is gonna be a walk in the park, but you know, it's really not that much of advantage seeing a 6'9-6'10 guy on a 7'0 guy.