ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

NBA to change age limit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever
Default NBA to change age limit?

Look at what happened with all the under age entering in the nba. Last night on EPSN Sportscenter, they were showing footage of a 14 year old freshman who they say is the next Labron James. Every year they're showcasing these kids younger and younger and FINALLY commish. Stern spoke up last night and said the NBA is looking at an age cap of 20 years old before entering the NBA.

THANK GOD!!!! At this rate they'll be showing junior high games on ESPN next year, bad enough this freshman is having 3 games televised this year. This has completely gotten out of hand and I hope to god this age cap goes through!
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

yeah, i heard Stern was really going to push that.....something needs to be done, for the simple fact that for every Lebron James, there are thousands who can't do it.....the age limit would be a great idea.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

I've been behind the idea of an age limit for years. I mean it takes away from the college game for one, and while most don't care for me being a college sports fan it sucks for me. But come on, we're showcasing FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL on ESPN when we could be showcasing a professional or college ballgame, this is so pathetic that we're showcasing younger talent by the year, in 3 years we'll be showcasing 5th graders on ESPN, this is pathetic and i'm glad to see Stern finally get some balls and come to his sences.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Well i'm not into basketball, so I don't have to much say in it. But, its not like these guys go to class anyways. I don't know why you would force someone to go to college when the only reason they are there is because of basketball. If there good enough to play in the NBA at 18 then let them go.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

The last thing as a sports fan I want to see is half the league full of 18 and 19 year olds. I mean that's not even the whole point, we're making a big deal out of 14 year old kids now and showcasing them as the next jordan, kobe and james and it's bullshit.

How would you feel rebel if the nfl was full of 18 year olds playing the game and same with baseball? It takes away from the college game, but I guess with you not being a basketball fan you can't see where i'm coming from.

An age cap is good for the sport and I hope like hell it goes through.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I see what you mean about being a college fan. But I have a question. In the last NBA draft, how many players were drafted from high school, or ages 18 or 19. If its not many then I don't think its a big deal still. But if there is alot then I see what you mean.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

But here's the thing, yes kobe, garnett have had success but look at the overall young kids that come in from either one year of college or straight out of high school. They're physically not mature enough to play in the nba, that and after a year or two of playing well they bomb. The fact is they might be the shit in high school, but they'd be better off staying in college and playing two or three more years and developing their skills before entering the nba, hell college might prove that they're not even good enough and that they were just a small fish in a big pond. I'm tired of seeing young kids come into the league because they're overhyped and then watching them develop over a three to four year period because they didn't have all the skils needed, and taking away a spot from a nba veteran, or someone who should have a roster spot but is booted to hyping of a pimply faced teenager.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

well, there are two rounds in the draft, and i believe that there were 7 kids total drafted out of high school.....but the number of high school and underclassmen combined were over 50% of the draft.....leaving colleges shorthanded, and the quality of the NBA slowly dragging down.....

there's a lot more of the early entries that are like Darius Miles than Lebron James.....by that i mean without fundamentals, without shooting skills and without defensive knowledge.....all they know is they could dunk over everyone in high school.....

Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
well, there are two rounds in the draft, and i believe that there were 7 kids total drafted out of high school.....but the number of high school and underclassmen combined were over 50% of the draft.....leaving colleges shorthanded, and the quality of the NBA slowly dragging down.....

there's a lot more of the early entries that are like Darius Miles than Lebron James.....by that i mean without fundamentals, without shooting skills and without defensive knowledge.....all they know is they could dunk over everyone in high school.....
THANK YOU!!! I had almost lost faith in basketball fans over the last few years, but you've restored a bit of it.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

stop it.....lol.....

you are correct Ice.....most of them just aren't physically capable of handling the rigors of the game.....as well as the fundamentals.....best thing that i learned in college was the physicality of the game vs high school.....most of the kids that enter early just arent ready for it.....

Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Stop what? I'm serious man, so many people give lebron james the internet blowjob and praise him because if kobe and garnett can do it anyone can. That kind of thinking and those comments burn my ass in basketball talk. Think how cal would've turned out if jason kidd had stayed, think about georgia tech if stefan marbury had stayed, think about the orangemen this year had carmello stayed? It takes away from how good the nba could be by watering it down with teenagers, and takes away from the greatness of college basketball.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

i meant stop because we posted basically the same thoughts at the same time.....then i got distracted and you posted again before i did.....that's all.....

i totally agree with you on this one......it disgusts me because of how many kids think all of a sudden that college means nothing.....then they don't get drafted, or they get cut.....i can't think of his name for some reason, but his first name is Omar.....might be Omar Cook.....kid went to St. John's for a year, good point guard.....now, he's in the DBL because he thought he could go pro.....college career is shot, NBA career is not going to happen.....

now, ten years from now he'll be working for minimum wage probably.....all because someone let him leave early.....

let's see.....Joe Smith and Tim Duncan had basically the same stats in college for two years.....Smith came out as a sophomore, Duncan as a senior.....which one would you choose now?.....

it's the Lester Earl's of the world that make up the majority of early entries, not the Lebron's and Kobe's.....

Old 14 Jan 2004, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

LOL yeah we have a habit of doing that. Duncan is a damn fine example. He was thinking about going pro and came back for his senior season and imo he is much better for it. I mean look at talent that came out to early and where are they now. The late Yinka Dare, Darias Ham, meh i'm not going to keep up with this. Age cap i'm happy with but again, why are sports fans being subjected to highschool games over college and pro? God in a decade, we're going to have coaches at a womans bedside when she gives birth just to determine how great he'll be when he grows up, where does this end? When do you finally put your foot down and say ENOUGH!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Paige
God in a decade, we're going to have coaches at a womans bedside when she gives birth just to determine how great he'll be when he grows up, where does this end? When do you finally put your foot down and say ENOUGH!
man, a huge smilie would work great here...........it could be that bad......"just sign here"......yikes....

Old 14 Jan 2004, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Well after reading your posts guys, I see what you mean. So I take back what I said.