ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

M. Mularkey Named Bills Head Coach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold
Default M. Mularkey Named Bills Head Coach

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Associated Press
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Mike Mularkey was hired as coach of the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday, his first head coaching job after 10 years as an assistant in Pittsburgh.

Mularkey, who spent the last three seasons as the Steelers' offensive coordinator, replaces Gregg Williams, fired after a disappointing 6-10 season.

Mularkey has ties to Bills' president and general manager Tom Donahoe dating to 1996, when the Steelers, with Donahoe in the front office, hired Mularkey to be their tight ends coach.

Under Mularkey, the Steelers' offense ranked in the top five for two of the last three seasons. The Steelers slipped to 22nd this season.

After having one of the best offenses in 2002, the Bills ranked 30th this season.

Buffalo finished 3-13 and 8-8 in Williams' first two seasons.

Mularkey becomes the 13th coach in the team's history.

In Mularkey's first season as offensive coordinator, the Steelers advanced to the AFC championship game, where they lost 24-17 to the New England Patriots. In that game, the Patriots were led by current Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who replaced the injured Tom Brady in the second quarter.

One of Mularkey challenges will be to try to improve the Bills' inept offense.

This season, Buffalo had 4,348 yards in offense, seven better than the franchise-low, and managed 243 points, the second-fewest in a 16-game season. The Bills also went seven games without scoring a touchdown.

Bledsoe threw for just 11 touchdowns, his fewest since the 2001 season when he played in just two games.

Most of the blame fell on the offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who handled the play calling.

Mularkey replaced Gilbride in Pittsburgh. No decision has been announced on whether Gilbride will remain on the staff.

Donahoe interviewed seven candidates for the Bills' head coaching position, including former Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Bears coach Dick Jauron, current Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith, Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

------------

Well being a Steelers fan I can't say I really liked this guy.

This guy was basically the total opposite of the smash mouth mindset.

Travis Henry is going to have to get used to not getting the ball.

Anyway, post your thoughts.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Meh this coach isn't going to do shit for the bills, and you can't blame the previous coach for this past season. Bledsoe had an off year, Moulds was injured, and this team isn't going to get much better. If i'm bledsoe, moulds and henry i'm looking for away out of buffalo. This guy did nothing in pitt. so what the hell makes the bills think he's the coach for them?
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

only thing about it is, Mularkey likes the pocket passer, so he has the right qb.....other than that, the Bills have a lot of problems beyond the coach.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

I don't know if I would of hired an offensive co-coordinator. The Bills have a hell of a defense on paper. But maybe he can turn Bledsoe around.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Please allow me to preface this by saying that I HATE THE BILLS. Actually, the organization and Ralph Wilson are okay by me. But their fans are such fair weather, band wagon hopping beeitches that it causes me to hate the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
I don't know if I would of hired an offensive co-coordinator. The Bills have a hell of a defense on paper. But maybe he can turn Bledsoe around.
The Bills were looking to hire an offensive minded coach. The thinking being that with Wade Phillips and Greg Williams, they had two good defensive coordinators who couldn't get it done. If the Bills were looking for the best candidate, they'd have gone with either Coughlin or Lovie Smith, in that order.

Let me also say that while I hate them, the Bills really dropped the ball by letting Coughlin goto the Giants. Coughlin is a native of Waterloo NY which is probably three hours from Buffalo. He's great at polishing crap up real pretty so it shines, and a damn good NFL head coach. A hometown guy who's a winner and demands accountability is just what the Bills needed. Wilson doesn't like to overpay coaches, and again they were looking for an offensive minded coach, but Old Man Wilson needs to know that in the next few years his time on Earth should be up, he can't take it with him and if he wants to actually be holding the Lombardi trophy instead of losing hit, he's going to need a top tier coach.

No offense error, and I'm sure you don't need Browns Fan to tell you this anyway, but what the hell has Mularkey done in Pittsburgh to deserve a head coaching decision? Pittsburgh overachieved in the 2002-2003 season, but this year with a few exceptions they were just godawful on O.

And why Lovie Smith hasn't already been hired as a NFL head coach is beyond me. It should've happened years ago. The Rams would be happy to have him stay, but if he isn't an NFL head coach next year then something is wrong. I'm not the guy that's going to pull the racist card, but there are a lot of teams that need a guy like Lovie Smith out there.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No offense error, and I'm sure you don't need Browns Fan to tell you this anyway, but what the hell has Mularkey done in Pittsburgh to deserve a head coaching decision? Pittsburgh overachieved in the 2002-2003 season, but this year with a few exceptions they were just godawful on O.
None taken man, like I said in my first post I don't even like guy because of his style.
His whole philosophy just didn't fit with Steelers football so he wasn't very successful.

In 2001 his methods worked well but then they just became predictable and boring. I agree with you 100% that he hasnít done nearly enough to deserve a shot at head coach so there is no argument there.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote