ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

An open letter about being a fan.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default An open letter about being a fan.....

This past weekend, the KC Chiefs lost. People that jump on bandwagons quickly jumped off this one and still go on in the playoffs, thinking that they are now a 'fan' of someone else. I, for one, am disgusted by this. Oh make no mistake, I will still watch the playoffs, but it will be as a fan of the NFL and not as a fan of the teams still playing. As a fan, there is a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach because my team lost. Emotionally, for a time it feels as though I had lost a member of my family. I grieved the loss, I was angry and I wanted to know why MY TEAM let me down. Then I realized something. My team didn't let me down, they made me an even bigger fan.

Hope springs eternal for the true fan. There is always next year, and the year after that, and on and on. The fan is excited in the preseason, is blind to the signs of weakness, and believes every game is winnable. For a few seasons, as a fan of the Chiefs, my hope waned. When Gunther Cunningham became the coach, it seemed as though losing became acceptable. No longer is losing acceptable, and the organization feels that. The team feels that. And, most importantly, the fans feel that.

Now, I am very biased for the Chiefs. However, I am a fan of the Royals in baseball, the Sooners in college football and the Jayhawks in basketball. The point I am trying to get across is this.....

No fan who is a bandwagon jumper can ever experience the feeling I had Sunday when KC lost. They cannot know how it feels to be a fan of the Red Sox. They cannot possibly understand the sense of loss that goes with not winning a championship for so long. They are not, in my eyes, truly a fan. They are for the feel good moment, someone who doesn't understand the relationship between fan and team. I feel very lucky to be a fan of my teams. And, I know today that next year, I will root just as hard for the Chiefs to win. If they lose, the same feeling will be back. That's ok, though, because this is one relationship from which I will never break apart. Hope springs eternal.....

sidenote: i know that i wrote this in a different style than normal, but it is my work.....i am planning to submit it to a magazine and see if it could be published.....comments would be appreciated.....

any continuing thoughts from you guys about the feelings of a fan?.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Just....amen man. Things may be bleak with the Browns and Indians, but I'll walk with them.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth

I know what you're saying bro, about a loss making you an even bigger fan, I remember when the Vikings got beat by the Falcons in the 98-99 playoffs, man that bummed me out, 15-1 year, they were almost suppose to win the Superbowl... but yeah, with all the free agents on the market, and the Vikings having hired a new Defense Coordinator, I'm defenitly looking forward to the next season.

Also - Very good letter man, thought it was awesome.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Denny Green never should have kneeled the ball when he had the best offense in NFL history, IMO
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
And yet I fight...

Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Alth , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Alth Send a message via MSN to Alth

Very good point, where did they have the ball at not to mention?

Another thing, don't wanna blame Gary or anything, but that kick was a gimme for him, that one really shouldn't have been missed.
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

They had the ball inside Atlanta territory.

Gary Anderson was perfect all season that year, he never should have missed that kick.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

now see, that is a fan......thank you, Coder.....only a fan would remember the missed field goal.....it's like Lin Elliott missing and Elvis GrBac being scared out of his wits.....

and, Norm.....being a Browns fan means the Fumble and the Drive are both in your nightmares.....i feel for you man.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

The Fumble, Drive, Red Right 88, The Move, 2002 Playoffs vs. Pittsburgh. Ive seen it all. But know what keeps me going, the thought of finally getting a title since 1964 (a lot of people don't realize Browns have 4 World Titles, just no Super Bowls). When that happens, I will be on a high that not even sex can compare to. It was like when the Buckeyes finally won a National Title since 1968, the state partied its ass off.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I feel your pain, as a Steelers fan it kills me to watch every game. Even games where they win it's never easy to watch.

Wost was watching them fall to the Cowboys back in '95, that was tough.
It's not easy being a Steelers fan let me tell you that.

I get shit all the time from my buddies about jumping on the bandwagon with The New Jersey Devils but I don't let it get to me. I've always been a fan so that's what matters.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Steelers had a bad year, thats all. They'll be back. Pittsburgh is a great football town and Heinz Field is the second best stadium i've been to next to CBS.

You a Devils fan....nothing wrong with that!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah they had a horrible year but it was still hard to watch even when they went
13-3 in 2001. It just never seems like they can never win a game easily, I don't know what it is but it feels that way.

I'm hoping they can get shit turned around next year and at least get back on top of the AFC North because I don't think anyone wants to see the Ratbirds in the playoffs again.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Anyone can win the AFC North next year. Baltimore still needs a passing game and one injury to Jamal Lewis will doom them, Cincinnati will be starting Carson Palmer at QB and all QBs have a learning curve, Cleveland needs a o-line and Pittsburgh needs a secondary.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah either way you look at it anyone can take it like you said.

Their O-Line and Secondary are in bad shape so it's not going to be an easy fix.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Good post oeo.

When the Cowboys were beat in the playoffs, I was angy, but I wasn't as pissed as you. But it was probably because (even though I never thought so) KC had a chance to beat Indy.

But last year in the NHL playoffs, after Dallas lost to the Ducks I was so pissed. I stayed up past 2: 30 some nights to only to watch them lose. It was horrible. If they would of beat the Ducks the finals were theirs, with Colorado, and Detroit out. This year, I can barely watch any Stars games without getting pissed off. They suck. And I really don't think they can turn it around. I remember back in 2001, they had the same season as this year. I kept on telling myself 'there going to turn it around' week after week. So I just look at this season as a downer, and just hope for the best next season. And just hope Hicks doesn't tear apart the team.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
If they would of beat the Ducks the finals were theirs,
I think you would have just seen an encore performance of the 2000 Cup Finals