ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

End of the Quarterback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2004, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC
Default End of the Quarterback

It seems like it's been a long time since qb's were the great players they used to be. I mean not long ago there was Marino, Elway, Montana etc. and now the only real legend imo is Farve. It's like the franchise qb has given way to the win now or get fired mentallity of the league. I just find this bothersome that every team seams to be scrambling for the next big qb but they all seem sub-par by comparision. I think Manning is the modern day franchise qb. Maybe it's free agency. Maybe it's cap limits. I don't know and i'm not sure if it makes sense, but the game just doesn't seem to be as impactfull when all I see are qb's trading teams and teams starting 6 qb's a season. Anybody else feel this way?

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

I think Payton Manning and Tom Brady are two great qb's who are only going to get more dominant as time goes by. And as much as people may or may not hate scramblers, imo Micheal Vick is the complete qb.

Sidenote: didn't you make this thread about a year ago ex?
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

You know, I was thinking of making a similar thread to this a few days ago. Not about the QB position, but about players playing their entire careers for one team. I saw Favre and was like, he's the face of the Packers, and has been for his entire career. You just don't see that anymore.

Aikman is right up there with the QBs you named as well.

Back to your original topic. There used to be all the great franchise QBs, and now it doesn't seem to be the case. I think the 'great position' right now is the running back position. Never before have there been so many dominant backs. McAllister, Faulk, Davis, Alexander, Portis, Lewis, Holmes, Williams, Green, Tomlinson, etc. It seems almost like the list could go on. I think the it has shhifted to that because the game has evolved. Teams have taken to a more ball controlled system where they pound the ball play after play. Then, factor in that backs are much more versatile in coming out of the backfield and catching it, running screen plays, etc, the QB position has taken a back seat in my opinion. I'm not saying QBs aren't important, because they are, they just don't seem to be the focal point of offenses and how to attack the defense anymore.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Manning, McNair and Favre.....that's the list.....i put Brady on the same plane as Trent Green.....second tier.....

it's becoming a running back dominated league right now, and the pocket passer is being pushed aside.....so, i have to agree with you Exo.....people aren't willing or able to stick with one guy.....i bet you are sort of getting at the Chargers' situation a bit, aren't you.....two high qb picks, neither really panned out.....probably going to take a qb this year again.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Where is Vick? Boy you outta be shot, go back to the cooking channel!
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo
Manning, McNair and Favre.....that's the list.....i put Brady on the same plane as Trent Green.....second tier.....

it's becoming a running back dominated league right now, and the pocket passer is being pushed aside.....so, i have to agree with you Exo.....people aren't willing or able to stick with one guy.....i bet you are sort of getting at the Chargers' situation a bit, aren't you.....two high qb picks, neither really panned out.....probably going to take a qb this year again.....
There you go again, jockin me
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopaka Nuva
There you go again, jockin me
we posted at the same time..........

Vick still has to prove the long haul.....he can be a dominant weapon, but i think Exo was meaning pure pocket guys.....Vick is Steve Young for the 2000's.....when he figures out you have to pass to be successful, then i might include him.....Young learned that, and Vick probably will as well......we'll see....

Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Not proved? The guy comes back and goes 4-0? He can run, pass, he's got intelligence to make the right plays, hell he's got it all.
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

3-1.....

he's a great talent, but he's not in the HOF just yet.....that's all.....i like to watch him play.....but not that long ago, the NFL was abuzz about a guy nicknamed SLASH Stewart.....the luster has long since worn off of him.....

Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

I think you guys are right about the recent rise or increase of dominance in the running back position. But I think the main factor contributing to the lack of franchise QBís is longevity. The game is so much more physical then it once was and itís so damn hard to maintain a long and successful career in the NFL. And I think itís very apparent in this day and age of the game, especially with the emergence of scrambling quarterbacks.

Itís hard to find a QB who can stick around as long as someone like Favre has and take the physical beating that an career in football gives you.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

I think Vick is going to be able to maintain what he does for the majority of his career, as well manning and brady. I'd add more but don't want this thread locked for being p2p.
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
3-1.....

he's a great talent, but he's not in the HOF just yet.....that's all.....i like to watch him play.....but not that long ago, the NFL was abuzz about a guy nicknamed SLASH Stewart.....the luster has long since worn off of him.....
Stewart was put into a bad situation in Pittsburgh, he could never really find a home there. I remember even when he was having success he was still booed by the fans. I think he main problem was his lack of confidence, he was basically the scapegoat for Pittsburghís poor play.

I'm not saying he was a great QB because he wasn't, not even close. I just felt bad for the guy as a Steelers fan.

Vick is different though, he has got all the tools to become a dominant QB in the NFL. Just look at what he has already done, if he can stay healthy then the sky is the limit for that guy.
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

what i'm saying is, though.....Kordell got the same type of response, video games, hype, etc.....Vick has not yet had the opportunity to show what could happen if he faces playing on a bad team.....i hope he does well, but i still compare him to Stewart for a while.....he probably will end up being a great player, but he's still developing.....remember, this guy should just now be out of college.....

Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

I never thought kordell was that great, even in college and loved what vick did at v.tech.
Old 07 Jan 2004, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Kordell had the talent but doesn't have a head for the game.....he would have been better off becoming a full time receiver.....

as i said, Vick will probably be great.....but i don't count him in the highest class yet.....

classic dropback qb's are slowly becoming a thing of the past, like Exo said.....