ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Nebraska Coaching Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2004, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder
Default Nebraska Coaching Situation

As of right now, Nebraska AD Steve Pederson is pursuing Arkansas Head Coach Houston Nutt, they have offered him $2.2 million dollar a year contract for 10 years and even last night sent a plane to Fayettville to come get Nutt but he turned it down, Nutt is from Arkansas, loves the school and wants to settle down there.

Which gets me to this, Nebraska is one of the top 10 college programs of all time, has great fan support and is a top destination for recruits. Now other than family reasons, did Nutt turn down this job? I will tell you, expectations are out of whack in Lincoln. There you have to compete with Hall of Fame coaches Bob Devaney and Tom Osbourne (who won multiple NCs and crushed everyone in sight) and the craziest boosters this side of Columbus.

Why are the crazy, many of them went to school during the days of the Big 8 which was NU, Oklahoma, Okla. State, Colorado, Mizzou, Kansas and K-State. Aside from the occasional Colorado scare, NU only had to compete with the Sooners for the confrence title which ment everyone was a warm up game until the OU game. The move to the Big 12 (where they now play Texas and Texas A&M), improved programs in the remaining Big 8 teams and the 85 scholariship limit means they wont kick ass as regularly as they used to.

Frank Solich did an admirable job in Lincoln, in spite of the 7-7 2002 debacle where he rebounded with a 10-3 2003 for a career record of 58-19 for a 75% winning percentage. The this year, he got axed by AD Pederson. This is eerily reminicant of the Alabama situation with Bill Curry and Ohio State with Earle Bruce, both guys got axed for not fufilling out of whack expectations though doing very good jobs.

Also, with the Nebraska job, you'd think coaches would give their first born to coach here, not in this situation. They are beginning to realize that even 9-3, a 75% winning percentage can get you fired. AD Pederson hasnt done a good job getting guys who want the job. Mark May of ESPN says when you can a coach, you should always have a list of guys you know will take the job. All of Pederson's guys have turned it down. The only guy to pubically turn down the job was Chiefs DC Al Saunders. Nebraska has 2 very capable guys on the staff in Turner Gill and Bo Pelini(who did a wonderful job prepearing the team for the Alamo Bowl and is the players choice for the job), but they havent gotten an interview.

IMO, Pederson is driving the Big Red into Alabama, Notre Dame and Penn State status. Why? Refusing to acknolwege the college game has changed and running competent guys out of town cause they can't match with legends from diffrent eras. It will be very sad if Nebraska falls off the map cause of this.
Dan Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2004, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Nutt turned down the offer, and now rick neuheisal's name is being brought up along with spurrier.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Neuhiesel would be a very good hire, but he has too much "baggage" from Washington and Colorado
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Every coach deserves chances after baggage. Look at George O'Leary, Mike Price, the list goes on. If he can get the team to win, and not just into a bowl game and turn this program around, that is all that is going to matter to the program, personal, team and it's fans.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

I agree about second chances and I would like to see Neuheisel get back in the game. Its just that sometimes, hires come with controversy. It shouldn't affect Rick, IMO
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Yeah and I agree with that as well. But the fact is Lincoln fans are like new york fans. All they have though is the Huskers and settling for anything less then the best just won't do. If supurrier, rick or hell joe paterno were to be on the market they'd go after him.

The fans want to see a coach who can and will come in and give them a big 12 champ. within two years, beat oklahoma, texas and kansas state on a regular basis and be a top ten team, not just get a bowl bid, that won't work for the fans and we saw that this past season with an unnecss. firing.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

I agree with that sentiment, Nebraska demands a lot from coaches, perhaps too much IMO. Remember, most of their fan base came from the Devaney/Osborne days where you just destroyed everyone in the Big 8 and Oklahoma was your only competition. Some hasnt realized that the Big 12 has changed.

Funny you mentioned JoePa, whats your opinion on his situation?
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

From what I heard over the last few weeks, Joe is coming back for another season. He wants to return the program back to it's winning ways. I think that if he gets them to a bowl game this coming season that he'll stay for maybe one more season, but if he fails to do so I see him stepping down. One of the greatest coaches in ncaa history for football and I don't think he'll walk away on a down note. I still see a few years left in him, but he won't walk away from a dismal situation, yet he'll give the reigns over if he can't fix the program.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Penn State was a fairly young team this year and next year OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Purdue and others lose quite a lot so a bowl game isn't out of the question.

I think Penn State will keep him as long as he wants it because number 1, he IS Penn State, he's their biggest name and face and secondly, he is very beloved in Pennslyvania so firing him could bring a backlash.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Don't rule out Michigan next season. They're not losing many players off the offense aside of the qb and perry, and most of the defensive line is returning. They also have the TOP recruiting class this season, and I watched the high school army game on saturday and 5 of michigans upcoming players were in that game and wow....the new qb might be the best since brady's days in michigan, either way the wolverines are going to be the team to beat along with michigan state and wisconsin.

As for paterno, I agree that he IS penn state but I think he'd step down for the good of the program if he can't get them a winning record this season.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Chad Henne is their QB recruit, but Matt Gutierez will be the starter. Michigan also has Steve Breaston, the next great Michigan reciever and Prescott Burgess, Lamarr Woodley, Pierre Woods and Ryan Mundy ready to step it up on defense. but dont count out OSU either. Remember, the OSU/UM game will be in Columbus this year.

Michigan State is losing Jeff Smoker their MVP, they will be down, Wisky will be good.

If and when Paterno leaves, Id like to see Glen Mason, Minnesota's coach get the job.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Granted Michigan State is losing Smoker but as USC showed this season, losing your qb means nothing. And granted the wolverines play in Columbus next season, but they're pretty muched owned ohio state over the last decade. I don't see them losing the division crown to anyone but mstate, wisconsin and ohio state could keep it close, especially if Clarett comes back like they're talking about.

I think that Penn State much like the Huskers, will go for the best coach they can get out there and i'd not be surprised if Nick Sabins name came up for penn state, should it happen after this season.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

I live in Columbus and Jim Tressel wants him back, but the general consensus amongst OSU fans is that Clarett is more trouble than he's worth. Lydell Ross and Mo Hall did an admirable job at the RB spot. but as 2002 proved, Clarett gave their Offense another dimension and with Krenzel, Jenkins, Hartsock and half the O-Line gone and not to mention Justin Zwick and Troy Smith hasnt gotten meaningful time at QB, Clarett will serve them well.

Nick Saban will not take another college coaching job, hes headed for the NFL. Only names I see coming to PSU are Mason, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz and Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

I don't think that Sabin is off to the NFL, as many coaches have stated and announcers, he wants more money then the NFL teams available are going to be willing to pay him. Oh god, you being an ohio state fan and me a michigan fan *south haven*, ugh no wonder this has been an interesting debate.

It's hard to say, because penn state is going to want a coach after paterno that will stay for as many years as joe if not longer, and carry on the penn state tradition. I would think that Stoops would be a possible canidate because penn state is just one of those traditional schools that doesn't change coaches every few years and again I think will go for the best coach available, but it's so hard to say when we don't even know what Joe will do after this season or how long he'll be around. I don't know how to say this is good fashion, but I see joe dying as the penn state coach, he's just not going to give it up imo, unless they have a horrible season this year.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

I didn't say I was an OSU fan, Im a Michigan man. I just follow OSU and college football in general and I will root for them in every game expect the Mich one.

Stoops is very happy in Oklahoma, he wont leave. I think Paterno will be coach there as long as he wants it because no one wants to be the bad guy and fire Paterno.

This reminds me of the Woody Hayes situation in the 1970s. Woody was getting older and the team wasn't doing as well as they were in the 50/60s and yes, boosters were getting kinda weary. Then at the 1978 Gator Bowl, Woody during a fit of rage as his team threw an interception, went over to the Clemson player who made the pick and closthlined him. The school was so embarassed(its still peoples only memory of who I consider to be the 2nd greatest coach in college history behind Bear Bryant), they had no choice but to fire him. It would be very sad if JoePa goes out in a similar fashion.