ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

Winnipeg wants the Penguins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2004, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
bremen>muenchen

Igloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICKIgloo is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Igloo
Default Winnipeg wants the Penguins

Courtesy of TSN.ca

Seven years after losing the Jets to Phoenix, it appears the city of Winnipeg wants the National Hockey League back.

The Winnipeg Sun reported Thursday that the city's deputy mayor Coun. Dan Vandal penned a letter to Penguins owner Mario Lemieux on Dec. 9 to consider moving his team to Manitoba.

In his message sent to Lemieux, Vandal pointed out that the league is facing "difficult decisions" with an imminent labour shutdown, and said Winnipeg was ready to welcome the struggling club if it can't make things work in Pittsburgh.

"We have to be cognizant of the changing issues in the NHL, and position ourselves to capitalize on those changes," Vandal told The Sun in explaining his inquiry to Lemieux, which is dated Dec. 9.

"The quality of the fan here is second-to-none -- so consider us."

Neither Lemieux nor anyone from the team has responded to the letter, and Penguins general manager Craig Patrick told reporters earlier this week that a rumour saying Lemieux would sell without a new arena deal by the time a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached is false.

Vandal's letter - not considered to be an official city query - is the first public declaration of another city wanting to house the Penguins.

Many expect the league to suffer a shutdown due to a strike or lockout when the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL and its players expires next September, and that some teams may not survive a potential work stoppage.

I think it would be good for Canadian hockey if the Penguins moved to Winnipeg. But with all the American markets that could take in an NHL franchise it seems like nothing more than a pipe dream. Nonetheless, I would like to see a team be moved back into Canada.

Thoughts?
Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2004, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via MSN to Dick Biggs

Fuckin EH!!!... put hockey where it belongs...in winnipeg... When the MTS Center is finished it will be the perfect home for the new jets..
Old 03 Jan 2004, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
World's Greatest Owner

Dan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock'sDan Snyder is the dog's bollock's
Send a message via AIM to Dan Snyder Send a message via MSN to Dan Snyder Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Snyder

Even though it would suck majorly to see the Pens go if it happens(I live 2 hours from Pitt and have been to countless games), Winnipeg would be a worthy city to get hockey again. I'd also like to see Quebec get a team back too.
Dan Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2004, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

It would be good for the Pens to move there. They would probably actually have people at their games. Even when the Jets were there they could draw a good amount of people. And plus its hockey country. People will come even if the team sucks. But on the other hand I don't want to see it happen. It will just be another shitty Canadian team I have to listen about for 20mins everyday on tsn...
Old 04 Jan 2004, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer

the Jets were no where near shitty they made the play-offs dam near every year...
Old 04 Jan 2004, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG Juggalo
the Jets were no where near shitty they made the play-offs dam near every year...
Every Canadian team sucks in my world.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
arn't the leafs on top or near the top of the NHL right now?

Isn't team canada ranked #1 in the world juniors?

Why is it that the NFL feels it must take far more talented canadian talent from the winnipeg blue bombers and other Canadian Football teams...

If canadian teams suck its only because America buys away all the good talent.
Old 04 Jan 2004, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

All i'm going to say is in a question.

Do you really think Mario would let the pens be sold to and moved to winni?

Answer: NOT ON HIS LIFE!
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2004, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG Juggalo
arn't the leafs on top or near the top of the NHL right now?

Isn't team canada ranked #1 in the world juniors?

Why is it that the NFL feels it must take far more talented canadian talent from the winnipeg blue bombers and other Canadian Football teams...

If canadian teams suck its only because America buys away all the good talent.
The Leafs will fall soon.

Team Canada and Canadian NHL teams are totally different. I enjoy watching team Canada because they actually have good players. But i'll admit, the Canucks are a very good team, and have alot of players I do like.

And there's only a few players that came from the CFL that made it big in the NFL. So don't go on saying that there stealing players....
Old 04 Jan 2004, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DarkGothicPrince~
All i'm going to say is in a question.

Do you really think Mario would let the pens be sold to and moved to winni?

Answer: NOT ON HIS LIFE!

I don't know about that. There was rumors before saying that he might want to sell the team because he can't get a new areana deal. He knows it himself that this franchise is going no where. With the little money the team has they won't be able to do anything. Once Mario retires they will officially be an AHL team...
Old 05 Jan 2004, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel
Hey quit hatin on the canadian teams...Leafs are doing pretty good right now..

And Yeah it would be nice to see Winepeg with a NHL francise again..they deserve it..
Old 05 Jan 2004, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer
Hey quit hatin on the canadian teams...Leafs are doing pretty good right now..

And Yeah it would be nice to see Winepeg with a NHL francise again..they deserve it..
How many times will I have to say this. The Leafs will fall. Sure they will still finish 3rd, but hey, look at their divison. Face the facts. They won't win the cup. There going to have to play either Philly or Jersey in the playoffs who they can't beat. If the Leafs are in the Cup final in June, sure you can come talk to me about them. But until then there nothing.
Old 05 Jan 2004, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

^You gotta Belive....or should I say Be-Leaf..
Old 06 Jan 2004, 06:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer
^You gotta Belive....or should I say Be-Leaf..
lol.

I'd rather be dead then believe in the Leafs.