ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Sports

Sports Want to talk about the world of sports? Basketball? Football? Hockey?

The Rocket to land in Houston?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2003, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Default The Rocket to land in Houston?

NEW ORLEANS -- Roger Clemens made two things clear Saturday on the subject of his baseball future: 1) He's still retired, and 2) that's subject to change.

Clemens cracked open the door to un-retiring and joining the Houston Astros for a possible reunion with former Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte, who signed a three-year, $31.5 million deal Thursday. Randy Hendricks, the agent for both pitchers, said Pettitte's decision to sign with Houston has "definitely" made the idea of a return more tempting to Clemens.

"There's a percent," Clemens said, when asked if there's any wiggle room in his retirement stance. "Andy called me yesterday, and I'm playing golf with (Jeff Bagwell) on Tuesday. I'm sure everybody is going to do their pitch.

"I've heard from all my close friends, all my college buddies at home, and this has all been in the last 24 hours. It's flattering. It's awesome. But I don't think it's pressure. It has a lot to do with things you don't foresee. That's why you leave that percent open."

Hendricks said he expects Clemens to make his decision by early January, so that he could be in pitching shape for the start of spring training.

Clemens, winner of 310 career games and six Cy Young Awards, made his comments at a Baseball America reception in New Orleans honoring the game's 300-game winners. The appearance came a day after a Houston radio station drove to Clemens' house in a Hummer in a stunt to lure him out of retirement.

Hendricks said the Astros raised the possibility of Clemens pitching in Houston during negotiations with Pettitte, who turned down a two-year, $26 million offer with a vesting option for a third year from the Yankees. Clemens, however, hasn't spoken with Astros officials or owner Drayton McLane Jr.

"If Roger wants to pursue this, he'll call me and we'll call the Astros," Hendricks said. "That's how this will work. Even when we talked about Andy, they threw this out. They have generally thrown out their interest in Roger as a player if he ever wants to play one more year."

Hendricks said Clemens will have to consider, among other things, the physical effort required for a comeback at age 41. He said he expects Clemens also to consult at length with his wife, Debbie, and their four sons.

"First Roger said he was 99.99 percent retired," Hendricks said. "Then it was 99 percent. When Andy signed, he said that one percent would be tempting. In Roger's mind he's retired, but I know he's tempted. He would have to sort through a lot of things."

Clemens expressed surprise that Pettitte left New York, where he won 149 games over nine seasons, to sign with Houston. "I kept telling Andy the Yankees would come hard after him and it would be an easy decision," Clemens said. "But no one really called. That's how the Astros got their foot in the door."

The addition of Pettitte and possibly Clemens to a staff that already includes Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller has created a flurry of excitement in Houston. Hendricks said some fans want to camp out on Clemens' front lawn to show their support for him joining the Astros. But Hendricks is telling people to back off because he doesn't want Clemens to feel as if he's "under siege."

When asked how baseball fans in Houston might react to Clemens joining Pettitte, Hendricks said, "It would be like Christmas every day for about a week."

espn
Old 14 Dec 2003, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Womenomics

RJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of lightRJ Suave is a glorious beacon of light

if there is a God this will happen. This should give Steinbrenner a fucking heart attack.
RJ Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

There's a good chance of this happening. Clemons is set to talk with Astros management this week and has a dinner situation set up with Jeff Bagwell, then later on this week he'll be going on a trip with Andy Pettiette. Clemons only retired for the same reason Andy left new york. After this season you're looking at a loss of joe torre, david wells, don zimmerman, and it's going to be a whole new yankee staff and both of these guys wanted out of that ugly situation. I think it's a 90% chance that Clemons will be in Houston this season.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via AIM to Dade Send a message via MSN to Dade

I know I'll be geeked if we finally get a stable pitching staff. McClain (sp?) fouled up ditching Billy Wagner.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

Yeah they'd be two good starting pitchers, but outside of biggio, bagwell, hidalgo, one has to wonder if the bullpen can hold up all season, and if the bats can compete with the likes of the cubs and cardinals. Cards need the pitching although adding Jason Marquis helped them, but the Cubs I think are still the team to beat in the Central and that kills me to say that.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art is Resistance

Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.Dade is a god damn rich cunt.

Bagwell is overrated. If he doesn't hit a homer, he strikes out altogeather. I can't name the last time he went for a simple base hit. Burkeman and Biggio are better then him put togeather. They don't go for homers all the time, they both won Golden Gloves, Craig having won it multiple times in two different positions. I say dump Bags, and free up money for more consistant guys.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Granted Bagwell isn't the player that he used to be, but he's still one of the best thrid basemen out there right now that's available, and he still puts up 30 + homeruns and can drive in over 100 rbi's. Granted he's not what he used to be, but he can still get the job done. I'm not a stros' fan but I don't think Bagwell is over rated, yet I don't think he's the best.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
YOU SCREWED MATT

I am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improveI am the Icon can only hope to improve

Bagwell plays 1st
Old 16 Dec 2003, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Hey it was early when i made that post and I was upset about castilla leaving atlanta to go back to the rockies, so sue me LOL.
Old 20 Dec 2003, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

ESPN is reporting that Clemons has stated today "if I pitch for anyone this year it will be the astros". I take it that he's coming out of retirement then.
Old 20 Dec 2003, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Art is Resistance